Options
2»

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Did your doctor tell you to limit sodium, and if so, how much sodium did they tell you to eat?

My Dr said to not overdo it but never gave me an amount. I take blood pressure pills and my BP right now is very low because of massive weight loss, which is great! I've always had trouble with the Salt shaker though.

I'm a salty girl, too. ;)

What I did was fill my personal salt shaker at home with 50% regular table salt and 50% No Salt (potassium chloride). Mix it up and use to taste. I didn't like the taste of the No Salt on its own, but blended like that I can't tell the difference. Cut my added salt in half and also gave me a bit of a potassium boost.

Table salt? You don't invoke the power of the Himalayas?

I may have to try this little hack of yours. I am probably one of those people who should actually care about my sodium a little. It is not like I have 5 salt shakers in my house, 4 of which get used regularly, 2 of which are in the kitchen that get refilled QUITE often or anything. Yep... no surprise... I am the saltiest person alive.

No. No I don't. :D

And being salty is better than being pickled.

I think.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Did your doctor tell you to limit sodium, and if so, how much sodium did they tell you to eat?

My Dr said to not overdo it but never gave me an amount. I take blood pressure pills and my BP right now is very low because of massive weight loss, which is great! I've always had trouble with the Salt shaker though.

I'm a salty girl, too. ;)

What I did was fill my personal salt shaker at home with 50% regular table salt and 50% No Salt (potassium chloride). Mix it up and use to taste. I didn't like the taste of the No Salt on its own, but blended like that I can't tell the difference. Cut my added salt in half and also gave me a bit of a potassium boost.

Table salt? You don't invoke the power of the Himalayas?

I may have to try this little hack of yours. I am probably one of those people who should actually care about my sodium a little. It is not like I have 5 salt shakers in my house, 4 of which get used regularly, 2 of which are in the kitchen that get refilled QUITE often or anything. Yep... no surprise... I am the saltiest person alive.

One thing worth noting though... this habit of mine has been consistent for a VERY long time and my BP was so borderline (on the high side) that my first doctor didn't want to medicate me. My second one did though so I am on a low dose which I hope to lose when I shed some more weight.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    +1 for the person who said add lemon. Any sort of acidity can help brighten up the flavors of a dish without adding quite as much salt. Lime juice, lemon, there's also lots of interesting vinegars out there like sherry vinegar, malt vinegar (good on fries), and my new favorite Chinese black vinegar (great to sub for part of your soy sauce).
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    i put vinegar on almost everything. mustard also
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I understand your pain.

I was a massive salt eater until I had kids, but as soon as I had them (up until they were older teens) I stopped having it in house at all, and drastically reduced the processed foods that contain high amounts. I went cold turkey, and it was miserable at first.
    The good news is that you adjust after a while. You start to taste things you never noticed before. Things you once craved become unpleasant because of the saltiness. Citrus and spice help make things more interesting.

According to the NHS information, most people eat far too much, and the increased health risks are clear. Good for you for tackling it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I am doing great on everything else, but my salt intake sometimes gets out of control! any and all suggestions welcome. I had a horrible high sodium day yesterday and scale says I retained 1.8 lbs of water because of it! I'm starting off the day good so far...crossing my fingers!

I lowered my sodium 40 years ago (bad PMS and doctor suggested it). It was really easy, I just stopped salting my food (except popcorn, that NEEDS salt). I use herbs and spices instead of seasonings. I cook food rather than purchase packaged or frozen foods. I make my own things like taco seasoning. I rarely eat out and I ask for the salt to be reduced if possible. I buy meat, cook it, and slice it for sandwiches.

It took about 2 months and I lost my taste for salt. I often have to send restaurant food (especially soups) back because they are too salty.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    How's your potassium levels. Some people overcompensate with salt for low potassium. I have a relative addicted to salt since childhood. Ate it by the handfuls and would even sneak over to the salt lick used for the livestock. Eventually, blood tests revealed potassium deficiency but they're still addicted to salt even supplementing with potassium. Get it checked.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    One thing people notice when they go very low salt is that food actually has this thing called "flavor". This is not something to fear but to embrace, or at least to give a fair chance.

I served some sandwiches made out of Boar's Head NO salt added turkey, which of course had everyone making skeptical faces, but then they were shocked to eat turkey sandwiches that actually tasted like turkey. Turkeys -- like the kind you eat for Thanksgiving -- it turns out, aren't pre-stuffed with salt cubes; they're just ... turkey, and they taste like turkey. Turkey tastes good. It does not need any salt.

Salt tastes good (which is why food manufacturers stuff it into every crevice of the foods they sell) but is also a habit. Habits can be broken. You would be amazed at how little salt you can get away with and still love the food you eat. I have days of 500 - 1,000 mg of salt and everything tastes fantastic.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I served some sandwiches made out of Boar's Head NO salt added turkey, which of course had everyone making skeptical faces, but then they were shocked to eat turkey sandwiches that actually tasted like turkey.

I use their no salt turkey and really like it. They made a mistake once and have me "lower sodium" instead and I could barely stomach it. I avoid soups, drastically reduced sausage, etc because they put way too much salt in the food and now that stuff just tastes like salt.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    gottswald wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »
    I served some sandwiches made out of Boar's Head NO salt added turkey, which of course had everyone making skeptical faces, but then they were shocked to eat turkey sandwiches that actually tasted like turkey.

I use their no salt turkey and really like it. They made a mistake once and have me "lower sodium" instead and I could barely stomach it. I avoid soups, drastically reduced sausage, etc because they put way too much salt in the food and now that stuff just tastes like salt.

Boar's Head Reduced Sodium Deluxe Roast Beef is also really tasty
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    +1 for the person who said add lemon. Any sort of acidity can help brighten up the flavors of a dish without adding quite as much salt. Lime juice, lemon, there's also lots of interesting vinegars out there like sherry vinegar, malt vinegar (good on fries), and my new favorite Chinese black vinegar (great to sub for part of your soy sauce).

^^This.
    I've really expanded my vinegar selection after being told to reduce sodium due to BP levels. Surprised me how much something acidic can reduce the need for salt.