Want to try Keto Diet, don’t know how to start. HELP!

I really want to start but I am confused on which foods I should be eating and how I should be eating it. This app doesn’t really help me with a keto diet. If anyone is a new beginner and can help me get on the right path I’d appreciate it

Replies

• kaaitken2012
    kaaitken2012 Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2019
    I've been doing Keto for 2 weeks and its hard to start out but im happy to help.
    Firstly change your food macro goals, you can find what they should be on a keto calculator website.
    secondly plan ahead and meal prep, its an easy way to keep track of what your having and not giving yourself a chance to go off track as everything is prepared.

On Keto you can still eat fruit and vegetable, seed, nuts and many other foods. it doesn't have to be restricting if you plan right. I still eat 5 fruit or veg a day.

Please feel free to add me if you need anymore help.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I've been doing Keto for 2 weeks and its hard to start out but im happy to help.
    Firstly change your food macro goals, you can find what they should be on a keto calculator website.
    secondly plan ahead and meal prep, its an easy way to keep track of what your having and not giving yourself a chance to go off track as everything is prepared.

On Keto you can still eat fruit and vegetable, seed, nuts and many other foods. it doesn't have to be restricting if you plan right. I still eat 5 fruit or veg a day.

How do you eat 5 fruits/vegetables a day? What does your typical intake look like?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

How can you eat 5 fruit and veg a day when one medium apple is already your net carb allowance for the day?

• bunnyaa
    bunnyaa Posts: 18 Member
    I started looking at keto last july and ended up doing a soft keto/low carb ( couldn't cut my dairy or coffee with sugar.) If you find keto hard just do low carb and don't forget to count your calories. If you need veggie options or carb substitutes you can eat all the leafy greens; they usually have so much fiber it negates most of the carbs. Good luck
  • ATP0602
    ATP0602 Posts: 11 Member
    Similarly, I started a “light keto/low-carb” to accommodate a condition I’ve had for a while. It helped in the beginning to not be bogged down by counting calories, because you want to give yourself time to ease into it and get used to your changed diet (normalize it to yourself without the math), and, if you live with people who are maintaining their regular diets, figure out if you’re gonna eat around/with them. You don’t have to toss out your whole pantry of no-no carbs and sugars. Use them so they’re not wasted (dishes for friends and family, giving your snacks to people).

An app to track the fats/carbs/protein macros helps (MyFitnessPal, MyPlate, etc).

And there’s a decent keto community on YouTube. You can find nice people, great content, and very non-intimidating recipes. I may not be as dedicatedly keto as these people, but their content and stories certainly are bolstering.

I’ve lost the weight I wanted even if I don’t think I’m in that ketosis state, because this diet model overall can be very healthy (I’m a 23 y/o female with very low physical activity). good luck OP <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    lovetiff__ wrote: »
    I really want to start but I am confused on which foods I should be eating and how I should be eating it. This app doesn’t really help me with a keto diet. If anyone is a new beginner and can help me get on the right path I’d appreciate it

MFP can definitely help with your macros, but you should indeed have a lot more knowledge before you start. For that, join the low carb and/or keto groups here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Before you start:
    1. Do know how to avoid "keto flu"
    2. Read up on "net carbs" and how to get them from MFP

For your macros, here is the link for desktop users (no idea if that works for mobile) https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals/daily_nutrition_goals

Change Carbs to 5%, Protein to at least 20%, and fill in the rest with Fat.
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    There is also a great app called carb manager that helped when i was doing keto. it tells you the net carbs - if thats what your tracking, where mfp doesnt and you have to do the math yourself. It also tracks protien and fats in a nice circle graph to show you how much you have left for the day. I found that more helpful than here after a while. Youtube has alot of great videos. And I know theres some Keto beginners for women groups on facebook. i really want to get back into it myself since ive fallen way off track.
  • livvysmom2
    livvysmom2 Posts: 1 Member
    I was completely addicted to carbs and couldn’t stomach eggs for breakfast. I discovered a keto bread which is basically an almond flour bread with very low carb. That changed everything. Now I can still have my toast for breakfast. I’ve been doing keto for one week and I’ve lost 6.5 pounds. Which seems insignificant compared to the freedom that I feel from hunger. I’m never hungry and I don’t have that craving for sugar and carbs that I used to. I eat tons of vegetables and delicious high quality meat proteins high-quality cheese & nuts. I even made homemade keto ice cream for an occasional treat. Some people think keto equals eating bacon and cheese for each meal, but it doesn’t have to be. Delicious vegetables and yummy Thai coconut chicken lemongrass soup. Yummmmm. Go for it!
  • kaaitken2012
    kaaitken2012 Posts: 35 Member

How do you eat 5 fruits/vegetables a day? What does your typical intake look like?

Hi Sorry only just found this thread again,
    Look for low carb options and weigh out an actual portion.
    Berries are great, Greens like spinach and kale, courgette, aubergine, broccoli,cauliflower mushrooms are all a great place to start with vegetables on keto.
    I found once I actually knew what a portion was I could fit them in.