Why strength train?

Options
2»

Replies

• mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    One friend of mine had hip replacement surgery, had numerous complications which required an extended hospital stay and extensive after care, suffered for months (pain, failure of incisions to heal, etc.). Even now, a couple of years after, she continues to have trouble walking and needs a cane much of the time. She's 65.

A second friend of mine had hip replacement surgery this July 1, had minimal pain, was fully externally healed by 7/31, was in the hospital only overnight, used a walker only for a couple of days at home, then walked on her own. She's 73.

Key differences? Friend #1 is very inactive, obese, and has multiple obesity-related, inactivity-related health conditions (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.). Friend #2 is fit, a healthy weight, and has been weight training regularly and hard since she was in her 30s. (She was back on the river rowing a double rowing shell with me exactly 4 weeks to the day after her surgery, and 5 days after her 73rd birthday.)

This is a specific instance of a pattern I see among multiple women around my age (I'm 63).

Another reason to strength train is so that older-years you can have a happier, healthier, more independent life for longer.

Also, strength is useful in everyday life for Doing Stuff. And people with some muscle tone just look better, in general. That last is a good reason to strength train, but one of the lesser ones IMO, in the big picture.

Well said! I am 66. i am in a much better shape than my cousins and friends who are my age or younger than me. I attribute that to my exercise routine (mix of cardio and strength). Thank you.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The scientific and side-benefits have already been responded to, so I'll just add my feelings as to why I do it.

First and foremost, I need the strength for my sport. Even taking half a year off caused serious issues with my abilities to race, none the less my lack of endurance. And that was going from regular workouts and fairly fit to taking ~6 months off.

Secondly, I like what I see in the mirror, and even other people can notice a difference. Clothes fit better and I look better in them.

Thirdly, I enjoy feeling strong and capable. Being able to do something and not even really thinking about it, while I see a similar aged, but obese friend, struggle to even do 1/4 of what I'm doing (in a fun, relaxed activity - not even talking fitness training) and I'm glad I've stuck with it regularly most of my life.

Lastly, as I'm now in my 40's, I see what older women (60+) who don't workout and lift regularly look like and I'm noticing now that I'm closer to that age than not - and I don't want to be the weak lady who can't even get off the floor or bend over to pick something up (unless yesterday was leg day LOL!). I also see the health issues my mother has, and I often have to wonder how much of that is a direct result of her refusal to be active or participate in fitness related activities....
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I started working out after seeing my mom and friend just give up on life and become bedridden. That is not gonna be me. Toning up was ultimately a lagniappe, albeit a super nice one, especially when I cracked down on the weight.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I started working out after seeing my mom and friend just give up on life and become bedridden. That is not gonna be me. Toning up was ultimately a lagniappe, albeit a super nice one, especially when I cracked down on the weight.

I totally understand this. When my Mom turned 75 she decided she was ready to 'go to heaven' and just gave up on life. She sits on the sofa, all day every day. She is now 80 and can barely walk across the room with help. The physical therapist says there is nothing wrong, health wise, just muscle atrophy and dis-use. My Dad is full of vim and vigor at 83 but spends all his time caring for her. While I feel sad about it, it was also a good wake up call for me. I am 60 and getting my act together so I don't end up like my mother.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Strength training also allows you to set achievable fitness goals, which keeps me more motivated...than running endlessly (and feeling like there is no specific goal other than "not being fat.")

Strength training can increase your confidence when you do achieve your fitness goals...which contributes to overall confidence.

Being strong is just plain awesome.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    To me all exercise is more about quality of life and health than visuals or scale.

Cardio to keep the heart and cardiovascular system healthy and functioning well.

Strength for bone density and the ability to move stuff myself.

Flexibility for mobility and muscle fluidity.

It's way more about being able to do stuff for as long as possible as I age than it is about how I look or what number the scale spits out.

You saved me the effort of typing it out :) ^^This
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Upper body strength training is very helpful for my swimming and yoga. Without it, my arms get tired way before my legs.