What’s the gym etiquette of asking for a spot?

Options
I keep to myself when I workout and I hate asking for help. Once in a while I ask for a spot from people who look like they know what they’re doing and they’re always kind enough to help me out and I always thank them afterwards. My question is once they give me a spot do I go back to ignoring them like I do every other day or do I acknowledge say hi and talk to them every time I see them? It’s a lot of effort for me because I’m already a socially awkward person and I’m super shy and probably come across as a snob. What do you guys do? Is it socially acceptable to just go back to your workout everyday without saying hi and making coversation. Thanks 🙏🏻

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine to not say hi every time, unless it looks like they are trying to engage with you. The truth is they would probably think small talk all the time was tiring and would distract from their workout
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter. Ignore or talk. I prefer to train and not talk during training Though I find myself grunting good morning more than I use to when I walk in.
  • lifeisgood6447
    lifeisgood6447 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you happen to make brief eye-contact, just give a nod up with the good ole loose right hand holding up the thumb and next two fingers. That is a good nod for anyone you know that you are just greeting and don't intend on talking to.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Each gym seems to have its own culture. The last one I belonged to had a pretty regular group of 6AM users and being a smallish town the norm was to spot for each other and exchange "good mornings" (it's also the norm when I'm out for a morning run to acknowledge other runners and dog walkers etc - it's a friendly little place)

Most people are there to work out and probably don't expect to engage in chit chat but common courtesy requires at least a nod & a smile or a quick good morning.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "it socially acceptable to just go back to your workout everyday without saying hi and making conversation" I don't think this should be "socially acceptable" under any circumstances. After a while, going to the same gym at the same time you will see the same people on a regular basis. How can you not, at least, offer a nod of acknowledgment to someone you see regularly? Nod, say hi, try a short conversation, you just might become friends, at the least you'll become acquaintances. Of course, if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.
    I hate this thinking. People have lots of reasons for choosing not to, or being unable to engage. If it's somewhere you go for solo activities, they have no reason to feel obligated to.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I think it goes without saying, but it should be an exercise that definitely requires spotting...don't make things awkward AF asking someone to spot you on say...bicep curls

But the seated cable row machine is ok, right? Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    [[ don't be a creep.

drat.

.... how 'bout just a lowercase 'C' in "creep" ?

I can live with that.

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "it socially acceptable to just go back to your workout everyday without saying hi and making conversation" I don't think this should be "socially acceptable" under any circumstances. After a while, going to the same gym at the same time you will see the same people on a regular basis. How can you not, at least, offer a nod of acknowledgment to someone you see regularly? Nod, say hi, try a short conversation, you just might become friends, at the least you'll become acquaintances. Of course, if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.
    I hate this thinking. People have lots of reasons for choosing not to, or being unable to engage. If it's somewhere you go for solo activities, they have no reason to feel obligated to.

if after that nod, you get no favorable response, don't be a creep.
  • glovepuppet
    Options

I'm objecting to the part I bolded, where you imply there's something wrong with not, at least, offering a nod.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " I don't owe you a response just because you want one" No you don't and no I don't necessarily want one. If I get a kindness in return for mine, a friendship might ensue. If I get nothing, nothing lost in the effort. Again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. What about this aren't you getting? I don't understand why everyone wants to ignore, or be ignored by, their fellow gym members.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

I'm objecting to the part I bolded, where you imply there's something wrong with not, at least, offering a nod.

There is. I don't think I implied it, but came right out and said it. We are a social being. One of the problems with the world is all of us not recognizing that fact and becoming more and more separated from each other. No feeling of togetherness, no sense of community, no bond, no mutual aid, assistance or support. Loners are under no obligation to join in society, but I feel we are all obligated to at least try and get together to get along . If a nod offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. Ignore your fellow gym members, ignore your neighbors, ignore all other members of the society in which you live; I maintain that that is wrong.

So again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone.

If ignoring all the members of my society is wrong, I don't wanna be right...
  • glovepuppet
    Options
    grimendale wrote: »

There is. I don't think I implied it, but came right out and said it. We are a social being. One of the problems with the world is all of us not recognizing that fact and becoming more and more separated from each other. No feeling of togetherness, no sense of community, no bond, no mutual aid, assistance or support. Loners are under no obligation to join in society, but I feel we are all obligated to at least try and get together to get along . If a nod offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone. Ignore your fellow gym members, ignore your neighbors, ignore all other members of the society in which you live; I maintain that that is wrong.

So again, if a nod, or friendly greeting, offends you, don't respond; you'll be left alone.

That's kind of ableist of you, to be honest. I'm autistic and have massive social anxiety. It takes massive effort to be social, which is effort that I need to put into my workouts instead if I'm at the gym. I don't owe you a response just because you want one. Not everyone draws benefit from random interactions with strangers. There is nothing wrong with my doing what I need to do to maintain my mental health. Don't judge everyone based on your assumptions.

Ditto.