Showering

Options
124»

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Trechechus wrote: »
    I shower once a day after I work out. I just feel like I'm wasting water if I shower more than once.

Same. I work out after work then shower when I get home. I grew up in serious drought and we are always at risk of another here. I try to be constantly conscious of my water usage.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Oh you meant showers without walls? If that were the case I simply wouldn't workout at that facility. That's a very hard pass.

Yeah, I thought he just meant regular gym showers. But if he means something like you see in prison movies where it's a bunch of shower heads in the wall with no separation, that would be a hard no. I don't get naked in public.

My gym does this by the pool. It’s 3 showers, and used by people both rinsing pre swim and showering nude post swim. You are all facing each other. I hate it. It’s busy and tight.
  • aziz_n1
    aziz_n1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Change of subject slightly.
    I only ever take 2 items into the shower, my shower gel & a sponge to lather up and scrub with. Using a sponge also means you don’t use too much shower gel. I also, unlike many others, turn the water off while lathering and scrubbing. Turn it back on to rinse off.
    From what I’ve seen in the male changing rooms/showers, not many people use a sponge. Always wondered why? How do they actually scrub up? Also, people leave the water running all the way through.
    Something to think about...
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    Change of subject slightly.
    I only ever take 2 items into the shower, my shower gel & a sponge to lather up and scrub with. Using a sponge also means you don’t use too much shower gel. I also, unlike many others, turn the water off while lathering and scrubbing. Turn it back on to rinse off.
    From what I’ve seen in the male changing rooms/showers, not many people use a sponge. Always wondered why? How do they actually scrub up? Also, people leave the water running all the way through.

IMO those a germ breeding grounds. I used one when I was younger but now the thought grosses me out.

I scrub up with my hands. I soap up half of me, rinse, and do the other half, so the water would just be going on and off and on and off.

I don't shave my legs, that is my water saving contribution.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I like a shower sponge.

Any germs breeding in it don't do me any harm.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Shower sponges and loofahs are great for exfoliating. Of course rinse well and let dy thoroughly after using.
    I like a shower sponge.

Any germs breeding in it don't do me any harm.

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

Sponges, wash cloths, and puffs are germ factories. I'm not normally a germaphobe, but I'm prone to rashes and excema. Using something that's been sitting in a damp shower will cause a rash. Even using a towel more than twice will cause a rash. I do exfoliate with exfoliating gloves once per week, then they go in the wash.

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I use a shower puff (my husband calls them "bath tribbles") but I run them through the wash after each use (I keep a bunch of them).

I don't mind showering at the gym but usually just wait until I get home so I can change directly into pajamas.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Sponges, wash cloths, and puffs are germ factories. I'm not normally a germaphobe, but I'm prone to rashes and excema. Using something that's been sitting in a damp shower will cause a rash. Even using a towel more than twice will cause a rash. I do exfoliate with exfoliating gloves once per week, then they go in the wash.

Life is a germ factory.

Like everything you have to do what works for you.

I dont have any problems after using a shower sponge and hanging it on the shower rail afterwards - works for me.

• Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What an odd thread
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Blythmag wrote: »
    What an odd thread

Are you new to MFP?

This is a long way short of the oddest thread here. ;)
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Blythmag wrote: »
    What an odd thread

Are you new to MFP?

This is a long way short of the oddest thread here. ;)

Was thinking the exact same thing :laugh:
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

Life is a germ factory.

I dont have any problems after using a shower sponge and hanging it on the shower rail afterwards - works for me.

I'm no germaphobe, but something about rubbing something that stays moist in the shower all over my body and expecting it go clean me....

I mean I have exfoliating clothes, I wash them after using them. The point is to rub off dead skin, I don't want to leave that dead skin sitting around in the shower growing germs and then rub it back on my skin the next time. It's just weird. So I wash after using.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I must be part heathen. I <usually> shower 5/7 days and wash my hair once a week.
  • paperpudding
    Options

Life is a germ factory.

I'm no germaphobe, but something about rubbing something that stays moist in the shower all over my body and expecting it go clean me....

I mean I have exfoliating clothes, I wash them after using them. The point is to rub off dead skin, I don't want to leave that dead skin sitting around in the shower growing germs and then rub it back on my skin the next time. It's just weird. So I wash after using.

Yeah, to each their own.

this is something that doesnt bother me at all nor have any ill effect on me (skin rashes or anything)

But if it bothers you, dont do it - of course.

• JeBeBu
    JeBeBu Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    One plus of working out early in the morning - there's no need (or logic) to shower before I workout. I hate showering or changing in public locker rooms with fire of a thousand suns. That whole being trans thing and being genuinely worried about my physical safety. Thankfully my boat house has single stall changing rooms with showers so don't have to deal with that all that often.

When I go swimming or am otherwise not able to be in a private shower/locker room I deal with it, but it's not ideal.

As a mom of a transwoman, I get that safety concern! I still get anxious when my daughter uses a public restroom and time starts ticking by....
  • MysticHorizon
    MysticHorizon Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Usually every other day, but I'll wash off after a hike or a workout if I'm feeling gross.