American football running back exercises

Options
Hi I wanted to know what gym exercise should a running back mainly focus on in gym to get stronger and be more powerful, snd also what’s the ideal weight.

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Ideal weight for sports like football don't much matter - it's a matter of strength and explosiveness, and you can train strength to a large degree whereas explosiveness is (moreso) hard coded.

I'd suggest getting in the weight room and hit the big four - squat, bench, press, and deadlift - along with a fast pulling motion such as an olympic lifts or rows.

Without an idea of your height, weight, or existing strength training it's hard to go beyond these basics.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Any good strength program will help.
    It's best to follow a program, which is not the same as a list of exercises. Here are some popular programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
    Hiring a good trainer is another option.

For speed, focus mostly on sport-specific drills, like short sprints, and agility drills. Speed is a skill, and skills don't transfer well between different activities, so i wouldn't prioritize fast lifting, like power cleans, etc.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I agree with CipherZero -- squat, bench, press, and deadlift.
    Plus, I would add a bent-over row, a pull to balance out the push of the bench and press, and, for the fast pulling motion, do power cleans.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Just for kicks....... Look into how Walter Payton trained.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Just for kicks....... Look into how Walter Payton trained.

Don't base your training on what genetic outliers do unless you're also a genetic outlier in the same fashion.