Swimmers?runners? Cyclist?

Hey pals! I have a new goal to train harder than ever and become a triathlete. I need pals and support along the way.

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    quite a few of us around - if you search for triathlon - you'll find some threads wtih lots of info in them
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    welcome aboard to being a triathlete. I started 5 years ago with Sprint distance and worked up to full IM. Swim, bike, run keeps training fun and you get to learn 3 different skill.

Just get out and TRI
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Did my first Triathlon earlier this year. It was so much fun!!

Getting into your first Triathlon is actually easier than most imagine. You don't have to start with gruelling Iron Man distances. I started off at 'Super Sprint' Triathlon (500m swim, 10km bike ride, 2.5km run) and did it in just under 1 hour. I'll be aiming to tackle the 'Sprint' distance next time (1km swim, 20km bike ride, 5km run).

My advice. Sign up right now! Nothing spurs you to get out and train more than knowing you've got a locked in event coming up. Having that date in your calendar does wonders and gives you a goal date so you can structure your training accordingly.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Oh that all sounds like so much fun! There is a group called “Did you swim today?” And I’m sure there are running and biking groups. Have never seen a tri group.
  • BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    I'm a runner.
  • nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    I searched tri threads and most are old. I love to do exercise classes for strength and endurance but want to spice things up with doing the triathlons. I don't plan on going full on IRONMAN first round lol
  • nikkibrianne64
    nikkibrianne64 Posts: 89 Member
    People die doing triathalons. Isn't it enough just to be fit and strong?
    I searched tri threads and most are old. I love to do exercise classes for strength and endurance but want to spice things up with doing the triathlons. I don't plan on going full on IRONMAN first round lol

Thanks for the support!😆 But doing triathlon training would make me fit and strong.
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member
    Following. I run but swam all through high school and some college. Starting tonget back into that and...welll... I run.
  • mikeedinburgh
    mikeedinburgh Posts: 38 Member
    Mostly run but enjoy cycling and only swim for fun as slow at it!
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Triathlete here, about 5years under my belt and current preference is middle distance. Not yet stepped up to full Ironman distance. Never say never but I just cannot get my head around doing that marathon at the end. Swim & bike - fine, marathon after... nada!

Add me if you like, I train most days
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Runner
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    One of the hardest parts of training for me when I did it during and after college was getting pool access to swim laps. You have to go when the pool is open.

Swimming was my best segment. Unfortunately it is usually the shortest segment of the race and so you can't really make a significant gain on the swim relative to other people. If you want to have impressive times/actually place not just finish in a triathlon you need to be good at the biking segment, imo, it's where you have the greatest opportunity to reduce your total time in the event.

PS: In truth the reason for doing triathlons isn't to compete it's to train. All the benefit comes from the training.

I had downhill skied (so wasn't afraid of slopes) but never cross-country during the time I was doing triathlons. A friend gathered a group to go on a cross-country ski trip. We watched instructional videos the night before heading out. The most experienced cross country skier offered to ski the bunny trails (around a pond) with me early in the morning before heading out with the others. That proved un-challenging. So we went to join the others. That too proved un-challenging. The others went back to the lodge and she wanted to ski more, so I said I'd continue with her. Late afternoon she asked if I wanted to go back or was tired. I said "no". She said "Well *I'm* tired." So we went back to the lodge and added up how far we'd skied. Turned out to be 21 miles.

I'm not sharing that story to say I was some kind of special ski prodigy but to show you how training for triathlon can benefit you, if it did that for a klutz like me!
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    LAT1963 wrote: »

Swimming was my best segment. Unfortunately it is usually the shortest segment of the race and so you can't really make a significant gain on the swim relative to other people. If you want to have impressive times/actually place not just finish in a triathlon you need to be good at the biking segment, imo, it's where you have the greatest opportunity to reduce your total time in the event.

I watched a video on youtube where a cyclist entered his first ever triathlon and absolutely decimated the competition. As you mentioned because the bike leg is by far the longest he was able to fall way behind in the swim leg and still be able to overtake everyone on the cycling leg and get a big enough lead that he was too far ahead of the pack for them to reel him in on the run.