Understanding the lingo

Options
Hi. I’ve been noticing some jargon in the boards that is confusing me, so I thought there might be stuff others find confusing too.

1) what in the world is “kitten”? Is a sub for all swearing? Is it a replacement for other name calling? Is it an inside joke?

2) people have been talking about “woo”-ing things. What does it mean to “woo?” Context tells me it is a negative.

3) TCEE (i think) calculators. I understand it has something to do with calculating maintenance calories. But what is it?

Fell free to add other jargon and lingo to the list.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    Here's a good place to start. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1069278/acronyms-and-terms-for-new-mfp-members-v-6/p1

And yeah, the *kitten* is the site's swear word replacement and "woo" is "too good to be true." https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570889/new-community-reaction-woo#latest

...but it confuses everyone.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Hi. I’ve been noticing some jargon in the boards that is confusing me, so I thought there might be stuff others find confusing too.

1) what in the world is “kitten”? Is a sub for all swearing? Is it a replacement for other name calling? Is it an inside joke?

2) people have been talking about “woo”-ing things. What does it mean to “woo?” Context tells me it is a negative.

3) TCEE (i think) calculators. I understand it has something to do with calculating maintenance calories. But what is it?

1. Any word on the naughty list is automatically changed to *kitten* by the profanity filter.
    2. The woo reaction is somewhat controversial around here. It basically means "too good to be true," pseudoscience. It is not "woo-hoo!"
    3. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. The calories you burn throughout the day from all your activities, including purposeful exercise.

:smile:
  • pinuplove
    Options
    @cmriverside shhhh, I'm incognito! ;)
  • quemalosuerte
    quemalosuerte Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I had originally figured it was “woo-hoo” until i saw it used in context. Glad I found out before i ticked someone off by accident.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

MFP has a filter to replace forbidden words with "kitten." I think it started as a joke. Sometimes people write kitten instead of a forbidden word for that reason.

"Woo" officially means "too good to be true" and is typically (including outside of MFP) used for non scientific nonsense, old wives tales, internet lore (like "the one fruit you should never eat or you will get super fat!"), fad diets, among other things. Regarding the woo button, some use it for general bad advice or to me "you made me mad" or "I don't like that post! (stampy foot)." The last two are not a proper usage, but oh, well. Some misinterpret it and think it means "woo hoo," and in the success stories section I think it's often used that way (it had two meanings originally but that was confusing.

Woo-ing means to click the woo button.

TDEE means your maintenance calories. It stands for total daily energy expenditure and is made up of BMR (basel metabolic rate, basically how many cals you burn if you don't move at all other than essential bodily functions) plus activity level (how much you move in daily life without exercise, this is a multiplier) and add on your exercise. You can also calculate TDEE on average including typical exercise and this is often how it is used (in contrast with MFP's method which adds on specific exercise each day).
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Took me too long to write all that!
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Thanks! I had originally figured it was “woo-hoo” until i saw it used in context. Glad I found out before i ticked someone off by accident.

No big deal. It gets used that way a lot. Also, as an "I just don't like you" button, lol.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

No big deal. It gets used that way a lot. Also, as an "I just don't like you" button, lol.

Yeah, if I took woos seriously I'd be in a corner crying all day.

I get woos for the weirdest things.

Maybe it's me.

Nah.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

Nah. ;-)

Me too.
  • pinuplove
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

I have 761. Mostly from posting in threads complaining about the woo reaction, I think. I'm sure I'll pick up a few more here.
  • cmriverside
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

I have 761. Mostly from posting in threads complaining about the woo reaction, I think. I'm sure I'll pick up a few more here.

nanner.

I haz 927. Well, I do post some woo-y stuff. And I have a lot more posts than you - PLUS, the "woo" used to mean something else so I think we got a lot of those when it was whatever-that-spot-used-to-be. Which, I can't remember.

One man's Woo is another's religion I guess.

I was in the group who caused that *kitten* thing to happen. It started as an April Fools joke.
  • pinuplove
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

nanner.

I haz 927. Well, I do post some woo-y stuff. And I have a lot more posts than you - PLUS, the "woo" used to mean something else so I think we got a lot of those when it was whatever-that-spot-used-to-be. Which, I can't remember.

I was in the group who caused that *kitten* thing to happen. It started as an April Fools joke.

Overachiever.

Everyone started with a clean woo slate, I think. When Awesome turned into Hug, those those numbers carried over.

Of course, I've helped out quite a few people by adding to them ;)@Tacklewasher
  • cmriverside
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

nanner.

Overachiever.

Everyone started with a clean woo slate, I think. When Awesome turned into Hug, those those numbers carried over.

Really? hm. I do tend to go against the pack on a few topics here.

Where's RelCanonincalogicaly? I can't remember her username. She likes to collect woos.
  • pinuplove
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

nanner.

Overachiever.

Really? hm. I do tend to go against the pack on a few topics here.

Where's RelCanonincalogicaly? I can't remember her username. She likes to collect woos.

@RelCanonical :) She has to ask for them, though.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

nanner.

I haz 927
    . Well, I do post some woo-y stuff. And I have a lot more posts than you - PLUS, the "woo" used to mean something else so I think we got a lot of those when it was whatever-that-spot-used-to-be. Which, I can't remember.

Heh. I've got 1.2K of 'em, without even trying. It's good to be loved. ;)
  • cmriverside
    Options

What was that? It got deleted. Was it about the dismantling of life as we know it (AKA "woo" becomes "disagree"?)

I disagree with the "disagree" upcoming feature. I predict not-what-they-think-it-will-do.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Maybe it's me.

Nah.

nanner.

Not that it matters, but I've never noticed you posting woo-y stuff. At least not what I consider woo-y stuff.