10 pound weight loss by Oct?

Options
Is it possible to lose 10 pounds in 2 1/2 months? My doctor said he would like to see my 10 pounds lighter by mid Oct. MFP has me doing 1200 cal. per day.

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Should be easily possible! That’s 10 weeks for 10 pounds, give or take a day or so.

The 1200 sounds ok unless you’re pretty tall or very active. Did your doctor give any indication of a calorie deficit or overall intake number or have you just put your stats into MFP? What did you put in as your per week loss goal? What did you select as activity level and how active are you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Maybe.

Are you overweight by a lot? The more you have to lose, the greater the likelihood of achieving a 10 pound loss by October.

I couldn't lose 10 pounds by October. If you had given me the same goal when I weighed 200, then yes.

How much weight do you need to lose to get into a healthy BMI?
    Calculator
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    db56 wrote: »
    Is it possible to lose 10 pounds in 2 1/2 months? My doctor said he would like to see my 10 pounds lighter by mid Oct. MFP has me doing 1200 cal. per day.

MFP has you on 1200 calories per day because of the weekly weight loss goal you chose.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It depends.

How much weight do you have to lose? I am just in the obese range and can count on averaging just under two pounds a week, so a little less than predicted.

How much will you change your diet and how? Added fiber can result in an initial weight (water) gain, but then be very beneficial for your health and feeling full. Cutting carbs can result in a large initial weight (mostly water) loss.

Will you change your movement? Adding exercise can result in water weight gain, but it can also help control the calorie balance. If you don't track your calories, though, many people end up eating more extra than they burn off.

How consistent can you be? Weightloss is about calories, so you have to be consistent in tracking what you eat and it can be very helpful to be consistent with planning ahead - you are less likely to stop at the drive through if you have a sandwich with you or a simple dinner waiting for you at home.

MFP is designed so that you eat back your exercise calories. For many people, 1200 may not be sustainable long term, but the 1300 or 1400 they get by eating back 200 calories of exercise might be. Also, did you set your goal for 2 lbs/week? You can have more calories if you set a more moderate goal, such as 1.5 lbs./week.
  • db56
    db56 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft3 and a current weight of 165 lbs. I will be walking on a treadmill about 1 1/2 miles a day to start with. I will do what I need to do to have a weight loss.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Depending on your stats it is possible.

Understand though that there can be a learning curve and you may not lose as expected until you overcome it. Start by reading this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

I would also read any of these that apply to you:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads#latest

Also read these two articles:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    It's possible, but remember that weight loss isn't linear.

Did your doctor give a reason for that deadline? What happens if you don't meet it?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Did your doctor give a reason for that deadline? What happens if you don't meet it?

I would be willing to bet it will be a prescription.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I was wondering the same thing.
    It’s possible, if you have until the end of October, 11 weeks @ 1 pound a week. May be a little aggressive for early October.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1200 calories, while not necessarily unsafe depending on your height/weight/age, is a really, really, really hard level of calories to maintain for 10 weeks. I've done it in the past and wouldn't ever repeat that; it's very punishing, and you're likely to gain all the weight back, starting the day after the doctor appointment in October. Why? Because you will have been so deprived for so long that, if you're anything like me or the other people I know who've done that kind of diet, you will go berserk with food the instant you are liberated from doctor supervision, which will indeed feel very liberating while you're on your way to your favorite pizza place or ice cream parlor. You'd be better off with a few more cals and a little less weight loss - something you can then fine tune and continue doing after your appt.

1350 is the rock bottom minimum I have ever seen anyone around me - friends, family, etc. - succeed at over time, and even that is pushing it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Did your doctor give you any insights on how to achieve this goal he's set for you?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I would be willing to bet it will be a prescription.

Or, since the OP is female, I'm betting fertility something or surgery that the OP *really* wants to have in October. These "oh *kitten*" goals with firm deadlines that are supposedly from doctors always seem to be because of fertility or needing surgery.
  • KIKITVP
    KIKITVP Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Thought I posted on this thread last week but can't find it back! Lol. Oh well.
    Here I am.
    SW: 170lbs
    GW: 150lbs

15 August - 170

Wishing everyone good luck!
  • mwoltermann
    mwoltermann Posts: 15 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I lost 10lbs (5'3" started @ 145 lbs) in about 2 months so don't think its impossible. I ate ~1500 calories a day. I based it off calorie counting for a bit w/o dieting to see what my maintenance weight was than subtracted 500 to create a deficit.

I will say that a few of those lbs was definitely water weight which skews the numbers.