Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are our casual clothes making us fat??

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited August 2019
    Or possibly that elastic and other stretchy materials are just cheaper and better quality nowadays (both in durability and in looks) so people just plain like them more, fat or not. Perhaps our priorities have changed from spending hours on caring for clothes to instead make and respond to threads trying to figure out why people are fat.

OMG, Bwahahahahahahaha! >:)
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    This is slightly off-topic, but I was just thinking about the casual clothing boom the other day. When I started my own business way back when - my job consisted of going into other businesses to do my work. I ALWAYS dressed up. I loved it. I had a wardrobe of beautiful dresses and luscious heels and sharp handbags. Even as workplaces became more casual - I stuck to my guns and continued dressing up. I wanted to project a professional and competent image despite the often weird looks I would get - LOL.

So now I am retired. And there my stuff hangs. I miss wearing those clothes. Sometimes I go out to dinner just for an excuse to get dressed up again. But even in fancier restaurants the dress code has really gotten more lenient and I feel overdressed and out of place. I guess my point is - anybody in the market for slightly worn Manolo heels, size 8??? ;)

• eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    ilfaith wrote: »
    But I wonder if a return to wearing more structured clothes would make people stop and think hmm...these are feeling a little snug. Perhaps I should get a salad or skip the pudding.

Firstly, I think (most?) of us know when our weight is creeping up regardless of whether our yoga pants still fit. Secondly, even fairly restricting clothes can stretch a bit until one day you have no choice but to buy a size up next time. I can't imagine too many people who keep squeezing into the same clothes year after year as the determining factor to their weight. I wish it were, I have plenty of clothes in a restricting size 6 to celebrate my big weight loss (now a size 12 :neutral: ).

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    The "obesity epidemic" is too old for it to have been fueled by the current trend in some circles of wearing stretchy comfortable athletic clothing. I've been alive for the start of people wearing leggings more places than they used to and "yoga pants" (of the spandex kind) being a thing. I have not be alive for as long as the obesity epidemic has existed (it started in the late 70s/early 80s from what I can tell).

:lol: Tell that to my super fat grandmother in the 50s. When she died I went through her recipe box and 90% of them were desserts - made with Crisco and butter.

She wore loose dresses, though. Maybe there's something to this.

Elastic is not my friend.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    This is slightly off-topic, but I was just thinking about the casual clothing boom the other day. When I started my own business way back when - my job consisted of going into other businesses to do my work. I ALWAYS dressed up. I loved it. I had a wardrobe of beautiful dresses and luscious heels and sharp handbags. Even as workplaces became more casual - I stuck to my guns and continued dressing up. I wanted to project a professional and competent image despite the often weird looks I would get - LOL.

So now I am retired. And there my stuff hangs. I miss wearing those clothes. Sometimes I go out to dinner just for an excuse to get dressed up again. But even in fancier restaurants the dress code has really gotten more lenient and I feel overdressed and out of place. I guess my point is - anybody in the market for slightly worn Manolo heels, size 8??? ;)

Still wear it! I love dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol. As I've become more comfortable with my body, it's been far easier to just wear what I want, and I'm like you - I love dressing up, albeit with cheaper shoes because I ain't made of money, lol. I guess it depends on the region, but people here have had nothing but good things to say. Some people at my job wear gym shorts to work, we're so casual (digital marketing), but I always dress up because it makes ME feel good.

You are absolutely right!! Screw it. I'm dressing up to go grocery shopping. :smiley:

People will just assume you came from somewhere important and are so busy you can't change, lol. We are seriously causal where I live - small town in the midwest - even the fancy restaurants accept jeans (partly because we're very touristy, but also because the town in general is quite casual), so I used to feel uncomfortable about it. I would even take off my coat even if I was cold if it seemed like most people weren't wearing coats. Now, I'm in long sleeves all day err day because I'm often cold, but also more comfortable when dressed conservatively.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

Are you posting this to make fun of it, or to support the original post? The daily mail is like a cheesy tabloid, so it's hard to tell with no comment added.

The obesity problem will continue to be a problem as long as we continue to look for reasons outside of our own responsibility. People are overweight because it is newly possible to live an entirely sedentary lifestyle while surrounded by cheap and plentiful calorie dense food. It doesn't matter if your pants have an elastic waistband or Nike has plus size mannequins or GMOs are labeled clearly or food has preservatives or how many carbs are in your burrito or which kinds of fats you eat.

I personally have never been obese, but I feel confident obese people deal with uncomfortable and even painful situations and events far worse than "my pants aren't stretchy enough".

Commenter is the OP so I am guessing it was posted in support.

I admit I was being somewhat facetious in my original post.

And I do know that the Daily Mail is not exactly the the world's most trusted news source.

But I have known friends to complain that they gained weight when they started wearing scrubs to work...or began working from home and didn't have to put on a suit each day. But their gains could perhaps more easily be explained by the abundant supply of snacks at the nurses' station, or the fact that they were working mere steps from their own kitchen.

I'm extremely fortunate and grateful to work from home. One thing that comes with it is that I can spend my lunch hour on my bike. I've gone to (Skype) meetings in my bib shorts, which means I get to spend the whole hour riding, I don't have to waste 15 minutes changing twice and drying off.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    Heh, I wear jeans and T-shirt to work every day B)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member

Still wear it! I love dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol. As I've become more comfortable with my body, it's been far easier to just wear what I want, and I'm like you - I love dressing up, albeit with cheaper shoes because I ain't made of money, lol. I guess it depends on the region, but people here have had nothing but good things to say. Some people at my job wear gym shorts to work, we're so casual (digital marketing), but I always dress up because it makes ME feel good.

You are absolutely right!! Screw it. I'm dressing up to go grocery shopping. :smiley:

People will just assume you came from somewhere important and are so busy you can't change, lol. We are seriously causal where I live - small town in the midwest - even the fancy restaurants accept jeans (partly because we're very touristy, but also because the town in general is quite casual), so I used to feel uncomfortable about it. I would even take off my coat even if I was cold if it seemed like most people weren't wearing coats. Now, I'm in long sleeves all day err day because I'm often cold, but also more comfortable when dressed conservatively.

I get weird looks all the time when I go to Walmart on my lunch hour. Not many people around here dress up, either.

I've been collecting casual dresses appropriate for my days off that I can pair with comfy shoes. I like looking feminine, but I like being comfortable too :lol: And dresses are much more comfortable than jeans to me. Plus, they look better over a wider range of sizes during the losing phase, I think. My work trousers are getting baggy again and it is super annoying because I bought them thinking I'd be in them a good long while! :grumble:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For most of my life I have either lived in workout clothes/casual wear/scrubs/maternity wear between university, working in labs, dental offices, being pregnant, a stay at home mother, etc. I have never had an issues with my weight (unless you count almost being underweight at one point). Don't get me wrong, I love to dress up when I go out from time to time, but I couldn't live without my stretchy pants!