Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Are our casual clothes making us fat??

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    This is slightly off-topic, but I was just thinking about the casual clothing boom the other day. When I started my own business way back when - my job consisted of going into other businesses to do my work. I ALWAYS dressed up. I loved it. I had a wardrobe of beautiful dresses and luscious heels and sharp handbags. Even as workplaces became more casual - I stuck to my guns and continued dressing up. I wanted to project a professional and competent image despite the often weird looks I would get - LOL.

So now I am retired. And there my stuff hangs. I miss wearing those clothes. Sometimes I go out to dinner just for an excuse to get dressed up again. But even in fancier restaurants the dress code has really gotten more lenient and I feel overdressed and out of place. I guess my point is - anybody in the market for slightly worn Manolo heels, size 8??? ;)

Still wear it! I love dressing up to go to the grocery store, lol. As I've become more comfortable with my body, it's been far easier to just wear what I want, and I'm like you - I love dressing up, albeit with cheaper shoes because I ain't made of money, lol. I guess it depends on the region, but people here have had nothing but good things to say. Some people at my job wear gym shorts to work, we're so casual (digital marketing), but I always dress up because it makes ME feel good.

You are absolutely right!! Screw it. I'm dressing up to go grocery shopping. :smiley:

People will just assume you came from somewhere important and are so busy you can't change, lol. We are seriously causal where I live - small town in the midwest - even the fancy restaurants accept jeans (partly because we're very touristy, but also because the town in general is quite casual), so I used to feel uncomfortable about it. I would even take off my coat even if I was cold if it seemed like most people weren't wearing coats. Now, I'm in long sleeves all day err day because I'm often cold, but also more comfortable when dressed conservatively.

I get weird looks all the time when I go to Walmart on my lunch hour. Not many people around here dress up, either.

I've been collecting casual dresses appropriate for my days off that I can pair with comfy shoes. I like looking feminine, but I like being comfortable too :lol: And dresses are much more comfortable than jeans to me. Plus, they look better over a wider range of sizes during the losing phase, I think. My work trousers are getting baggy again and it is super annoying because I bought them thinking I'd be in them a good long while! :grumble:

Seriously, dresses are more comfortable! I don't need a belt and I can't feel it if I'm bloated. I did go to Walmart just yesterday in a flowy dress with my sky-high wedges, and either nobody noticed, or my area is just good at pretending they didn't notice, lol. We are a beat-around-the-bush kind of community, according to my mother (she is from New York).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    And thanks to inexpensive "fast fashion" if an item became too tight (must have shrunk in the wash) it was cheap enough to replace with something new.

I've always had a taste for nice clothes. What that means exactly has changed over the years, but they've always had to be very comfortable, and functional. Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately - that means expensive. Seriously, look up what Arc'teryx charges for a jacket or base layer.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    And thanks to inexpensive "fast fashion" if an item became too tight (must have shrunk in the wash) it was cheap enough to replace with something new.

I've always had a taste for nice clothes. What that means exactly has changed over the years, but they've always had to be very comfortable, and functional. Unfortunately - or maybe fortunately - that means expensive. Seriously, look up what Arc'teryx charges for a jacket or base layer.

YE_FREAKING_GADs man! my poor self will stick with LLBean thank you very much :#
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    dodea48 wrote: »
    My pants don't hurt, so I'll eat the whole pie? Just not seeing it.

tight clothes can often be the motivation to change habits

It's not even about the clothes for me. I like what I look like naked. And I want to keep it that way. That's my motivation!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    When I entered the workforce, I wore suits and 3-inch heels every day. Now I wear comfy pants and golf shirts. I'm 20 pounds lighter. I don't need a restrictive waistband. I have a mirror.

I quit my super stressful job (where I needed to dress professionally) and now I only work part-time seasonally from home. I'm also 20 pounds lighter and at my ideal weight and body fat %, even though I'm middle-aged. Getting rid of stress and having more time to go out and be active seem to be the most important factors for me. I sit around in my stretchy pants all day and it's OK with me! I'm in much better shape than I was before I started wearing yoga pants (when I was younger and stressed out.) Maybe our casual clothes are making us fit! I better go blog about it... ;)
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sizing may be a problem too...Every country is different...take UK and USA...and Asian tiny...
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Had an ad pop up in my Facebook feed for yoga pants that look like dress pants. Showed a woman sitting in a chair with the waistband of her trousers digging into her belly. Alongside was a woman, in her stretchy dress pants with the elastic waist, comfortably rubbing her tummy. The model was relatively slim, but I thought isn't this why Americans have gotten fat over the past few decades. Clothes that are comfy and stretchy instead of tailored and constricting.

Has the popularity of athleisure fueled the obesity epidemic? Back in the day...and I'm not just thinking back to the Mad Men era of slim fitting suits and sharp fitted dresses...but even when I entered the work force in the 90s, people dressed up more for work. But then casual Fridays became business casual every day, Dockers and leggings became commonplace, and it even became difficult to find denim that didn't contain a little lycra for stretch.

So maybe we didn't notice when we put on a few pounds, as our clothing expanded along with our waistlines. And vanity sizing miraculously kept us in the same sizes we wore 8n college. And thanks to inexpensive "fast fashion" if an item became too tight (must have shrunk in the wash) it was cheap enough to replace with something new.

Obviously, I wouldn't dream of bringing back corsets and whalebone stays. But I wonder if a return to wearing more structured clothes would make people stop and think hmm...these are feeling a little snug. Perhaps I should get a salad or skip the pudding.

Personally, I think it's symptomatic of the inverse being true: society getting fatter is driving the trend to avoid things that are uncomfortable to fat people. Similarly, athleisure is popular to an extent that it makes people feel good about the illusion of feeling active based on their attire.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Phirrgus wrote: »

YE_FREAKING_GADs man! my poor self will stick with LLBean thank you very much :#

Right?

I've been eyeing LL Bean's down sweater lately...
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I think there's a touch of legitimacy to the idea. In an anectodal, n of 1 study I can say that I made a move from MI to AZ and enjoyed an entire winter of nothing but flowy summery dresses that weren't constricting. What an unfortunate morning it was when I realized my size 3 jeans were nowhere close to buttoning... Gotta love all the snacking that accompanies long nights of studying in medical school 🤦🤷
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I eat too much and put on weight whether dressed or naked...and I want to look better naked so I eat less and move more. Screw clothes, who needs em. o:)

Pants are for squares.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I eat too much and put on weight whether dressed or naked...and I want to look better naked so I eat less and move more. Screw clothes, who needs em. o:)

Pants are for squares.

And for avoiding jail time when you go out in public... :smile:
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Pants are for squares.

Kilts. Kilts. Always an option.

Or booty shorts. No judging. Just maybe a little snickering behind our hands...
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Wait...I'm supposed to wear them? In public? Always wondered why people are uncomfortable around me :o
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Wait...I'm supposed to wear them? In public? Always wondered why people are uncomfortable around me :o

They're just jealous. Crabs in a bucket and all that. They want to shed their pansted ways but are too scared.
  • Phirrgus
    Options

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

They're just jealous. Crabs in a bucket and all that. They want to shed their pansted ways but are too scared.

My kindred people <3
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,084 Member
    Options

Pants are for squares.

Pants are for squares.

Pantlessness and grabby crabs sounds like a really bad combination, just sayin'.

(. . . and as an aside, your post made me snort-laugh really loudly all alone by myself in my living room. Well done.)