Lost period

I lost about 12 kgs and have maintained my weight for a couple months now but my period hasn’t come in over 4 months. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did u do?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    It’s been 8 months for me. Dr did bloods and I have very low iron and some hair loss so we’re working on that.
  • smal48 wrote: »
    What is your current BMI? Are you below a healthy level? If so you may need to gain a little to get back to a healthy weight. When I did so my period returned pretty quickly. I was at BMI 19.5 when I lost my period so not even really low, but for me it was too low. I only had to gain a few pounds for my period to return.

Thing is I’m not even below a healthy weight if anything I’m closer to the other end my BMI is 23.5 so it’s not that I’m underweight
  • I lost about 12 kgs and have maintained my weight for a couple months now but my period hasn’t come in over 4 months. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did u do?

Have you ruled out pregnancy or peri-menopause? If not, start there and I would suggest a visit to the doctor, all we can do here is guess and that can be as bad as googling your symptoms, particularly with such a little amount of information to go on.

It could range from anything from a vitamin deficiency to something more sinister.

Did you lose the weight quickly or have you been over-training?

Definitely not pregnancy lol i did loose weight quite quickly but i thought that after a couple months of maintaining it that it would come back. There have literally been no other symptoms other than lack of period though
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Are you working out much? Overtraining can cause amenhorroea, although it takes more than the odd gym class or cycle ride.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    The obvious questions to ask are those that Tinkerbell asked in the first response to your OP, which you’ve not addressed so far. We don’t know how old you are or anything else about you, so speculating further is not going to help you.

If you’re not pregnant, likely to be (peri)menopausal, or under a lot of stress (which can also cause periods to stop, temporarily) I would talk to your doctor or a practice nurse.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I lost about 12 kgs and have maintained my weight for a couple months now but my period hasn’t come in over 4 months. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what did u do?

Have you ruled out pregnancy or peri-menopause? If not, start there and I would suggest a visit to the doctor, all we can do here is guess and that can be as bad as googling your symptoms, particularly with such a little amount of information to go on.

It could range from anything from a vitamin deficiency to something more sinister.

Did you lose the weight quickly or have you been over-training?

Definitely not pregnancy lol i did loose weight quite quickly but i thought that after a couple months of maintaining it that it would come back. There have literally been no other symptoms other than lack of period though

Rapid weight loss is definitely a potential culprit. But really your doctor would be able to give you the best diagnosis.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    edited August 2019
    kimondo666 wrote: »
    malnutrition can be the case. Eat more vegetables and fruit. Proper meat to get iron or some beans. Or if you were on vegan/vegetarian diet.

You do realize that it's just as easier or actually quite easier to get nutrient deficiencies on a restrictive diet, right? Your advice is often not connected to science and not based in fact.
    So what is the proper fact, i dont see you proposed an alternative. IF OP made diet without dietician it easy to see how malnutrition could come to be even on vegetarian, when eating on not enough calories.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    malnutrition can be the case. Eat more vegetables and fruit. Proper meat to get iron or some beans. Or if you were on vegan/vegetarian diet.

You do realize that it's just as easier or actually quite easier to get nutrient deficiencies on a restrictive diet, right? Your advice is often not connected to science and not based in fact.
    So what is the proper fact, i dont see you proposed an alternative. IF OP made diet without dietician it easy to see how malnutrition could come to be even on vegetarian, when eating on not enough calories.

The ‘proper fact’ is that you know nothing about the OP’s diet. For all you know, the problem could be that they’re eating too much fruit and veg, and not enough of everything else!