Grits

lonestarstate99
lonestarstate99 Posts: 6 Member
Single serving of grits with one finely chopped piece of Canadian bacon or 1 ounce of crumbled turkey sausage in it. Top with a poached egg and about a tablespoon of grated sharp cheddar.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I always loved mine with butter and sugar.

Or topped with a fried egg.

Obviously there's shrimp and grits but I've always been allergic to shrimp so I've never tried it.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Except grits are white and polenta is yellow. Anywho I was just talking about grits with a co-worker yesterday. She said she uses instant grits. I have never made instant grits. It is just not the same to me if I don't cook it on the stove. I do enjoy them though.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Single serving of grits with one finely chopped piece of Canadian bacon or 1 ounce of crumbled turkey sausage in it. Top with a poached egg and about a tablespoon of grated sharp cheddar.

That sounds yummy.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    Except grits are white and polenta is yellow. Anywho I was just talking about grits with a co-worker yesterday. She said she uses instant grits. I have never made instant grits. It is just not the same to me if I don't cook it on the stove. I do enjoy them though.

i'm literally the opposite. i've only ever had instant grits but i really want to try the real thing!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member

That's because corn comes in different colors.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Eh, they're the same thing. Both are, in the words of David Tanis from the NY Times, "cornmeal mush" and as someone mentioned, corn comes in different varieties and colors.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    edited August 2019
    A lot of the packages labeled grits are made with hominy, nixtamalized corn. Some are whole grain, most aren't. If the package suggests freezing or refrigeration you know it's whole grain. Yellow or white doesn't matter except I like yellow but would happily try blue or red if it was available. Here is the kind I use:
    o4yiti9zjox9.jpg
    I make them with stock when I have it. Sometimes make hog stock from smoked hock (neck, tail, or jowl) plus fresh split pig feet. If no stock I add a half teaspoon bouillion per serving. Also like adding sautéed onion, garlic, chili peppers, and maybe sausage to the mix, then top with a fried egg.
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    I've seen grits that are white. It's just the corn color.

The main thing I tell people when they are going to cook them for the first time is to add a little more water than it says and cook a little longer. Regular ones cooked on the stovetop are the best but instant can be good if you are in a rush.

I love them pretty simple. Some salt while cooking then a little butter on top once it's dished out. Occasionally a sprinkle of pepper. Cheese is always a good addition. Sometimes I mix them into already cooked over easy or scrambled eggs.