August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    This morning I used my run to check out something I had been suspecting for a while, namely that the different apps etc I use to track data vary quite a lot! This means depending on whether I've been listening to Zombies Run! and using the distance tracker on that, running Strava or just using the Garmin watch, I get different data for distance and pace.
    Ran all 3 this morning and they recorded as follows:

Zombies: 5.01km in 40:20, average pace 8'03"/km
    Strava: 5.09km in 40:27, average pace 7:57/km
    Garmin: 5.20km in 40:24, average pace 7:47/km.

I hit play on one app on my phone straight after the other as I started running then immediately started the watch, at the end I did the opposite. Also kinda strange that the zombie app recorded less time but I guess there's a slight lapse after you hit go.
    But that is a pretty big difference in distance and pace for such a short run, don't you think? Makes me wonder which I should trust when trying to pace myself. Also makes me wonder whether the 10km race I ran a couple of months ago was not a short course after all and just Strava telling me lies!

August goal: 90km. Run so far: 65.12km.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Uneventful 5 mile run this morning. Hot and humid. I was really "glistening" when I finished!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner are those gravel roads? Oh my! Running long runs on gravel, I’m impressed.

5 miles on trails at WC Johnson. We were under another heat advisory today but got lucky - ten minutes before we headed out, a storm blew through just to the south of us and the temperature dropped fifteen degrees. I was afraid we’d get rain and the trails would be mucky, but it missed us. So we had a tolerable run, 80 degrees instead of 98, with a strong breeze blowing.

That is a gravel road, but is a short stretch between paved roads. Interestingly enough, my first marathon was in NE on gravel roads and one of my marathons in April was in KS on gravel roads. That particular race has a marathon and a 50 mile option, and it isn't all bad. I normally would have gaitors for gravel, but this little section was so short that I didn't bother.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    August goal 100 miles

exercise.png

As far as taper, I've used Hal's plans as-is, and I've also done his HM plan but substituted a longer-than-HM-distance run for the long run the week before the race, because I wanted to be sure I could do it. It worked great for me. My first race ever was a 10k, and I did the same thing for that with good results. Everyone is different though.

One thing I like about the half marathon distance is that you can practice it before the race without beating yourself up too much (like most of us would if we tried that with the marathon distance). If it's taking too much out of you to run 13 miles at an easy pace, perhaps you'd benefit from a slower build-up to the distance.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @mbaker566 But did you remember to start your Garmin before that run? :D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I did not :disappointed:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Then it never happened, obviously. So stop making up tales. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    August goal 100 miles
    One thing I like about the half marathon distance is that you can practice it before the race without beating yourself up too much (like most of us would if we tried that with the marathon distance). If it's taking too much out of you to run 13 miles at an easy pace, perhaps you'd benefit from a slower build-up to the distance.

Honestly, I am seriously considering after 2020 dropping the Pittsburg Full Marathon and only doing the 1/2 instead. I will still do the couple 50k races I do, but those are trail races. 26.2 miles on the road is brutal on the body. Not sure I want to keep up that abuse. 50k on the trail is harder but much nicer on the body.
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Aug Goal-60 miles

8/2/19- 4.4
    8/3/19-7.4
    8/6/19-3.81
    8/7/19-4.49
    8/9/19-7.38
    8/13/19-4.53
    8/15/19- 4.12
    8/19/19-8.30

Hope everyone has an awesome weekend. I was hoping to get my run done Saturday. However, I ended up walking 4.43 miles at the Clear the Shelter event- for the animal shelter. So, nope, I did my run Sunday night, temperature was higher but humidity was lower, so overall a nice run.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 7k easy
    8-11 7k easy
    8-12 rest
    8-13 7k easy
    8-14 7k slow
    8-15 rest
    8-16 7k easy
    8-17 REST
    8-18 7k moderate
    8-18 rest

August Total: 86k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Scheduled rest day today, with golf instead of running.

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Then it never happened, obviously. So stop making up tales. :)

Exactly this. If it isn't on Strava, it didn't happen. 😜