August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent - my article was specific to a first HM and was an example of a 2 week taper for that. Point taken on the longer races but most 'newer' runners are not going out to run a 50k or an ultra as their first race of distance. By the time they are attempting to run those they will have run a few others of shorter distances and know what they need to do to taper. I have heard of people tapering for 3 weeks or so before a full and I have also been told that 'you don't need to taper for a half or even a full' by so called 'experts and elites'. Again we have to do what is best for us, our bodies and mentally what gives us confidence.

@Bachataera - welcome to our group of crazies! Great job on your run!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Bachataera wrote: »
    New here. I've been on MFP for a few years and I've gained 20 pounds through it all, so I'm trying something new: running.
    My goal is to get up to 5K by the end of September and enter a race in my city (Denver). Today is day 3 of walked/jogged 2 miles.

Welcome! If you haven’t already, look at the couch to 5k program (c25k). I personally used it in February and am now working on the bridge to 10k (B210k) program. If your city has a Parkrun group, I found them the be extremely welcoming to new runners. I never would have started the 10k training without their encouragement.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Cool! Glad you have some answers to attack! Problems always, at least to me, seem less severe when you have a plan to attack them. When you can do SOMETHING.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    Bachataera wrote: »
    New here. I've been on MFP for a few years and I've gained 20 pounds through it all, so I'm trying something new: running.
    My goal is to get up to 5K by the end of September and enter a race in my city (Denver). Today is day 3 of walked/jogged 2 miles.

Welcome! If you haven’t already, look at the couch to 5k program (c25k). I personally used it in February and am now working on the bridge to 10k (B210k) program. If your city has a Parkrun group, I found them the be extremely welcoming to new runners. I never would have started the 10k training without their encouragement.

This is all great advice. Wish I had a park run group close.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Was trying to decide if I should run now, or wait a bit. I glanced at our weather station and it read 96 (feels like, 90 actual), and in the few seconds, I was watching it turned to 98. I think I will wait till closer to sunset.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Was trying to decide if I should run now, or wait a bit. I glanced at our weather station and it read 96 (feels like, 90 actual), and in the few seconds, I was watching it turned to 98. I think I will wait till closer to sunset.

I am also waiting until sunset unless we get surprise rain showers to cool things off. I’m looking forward to cooler temps in the Fall.

• PastorVincent
    Options

I am also waiting until sunset unless we get surprise rain showers to cool things off. I’m looking forward to cooler temps in the Fall.

Good call. With my summer races behind me, I am not longer caring about heat adaption. So I will be running in cool weather when possible now. :)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @AlphaHowls All I can say is WOW!!!! You have nearly 350 miles already and I can't seem to make 60. That is just mind boggling to me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @AlphaHowls is not of this world 😉🤯
    But we love her all the same!

Dew clews up! ;)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent number of days taper based on length of race is a GENERAL rule for most people, pretty sure I read it in Runner’s World originally, which does fall apart when you hit ultras. Most marathoners do taper about three weeks to a month though, and so on for shorter races.

I’m a second person who found that Hal Higdon’s novice HM plan led to long-term injury, and I did not push too hard on the last long run - I made a point of running it as slowly as was possible without it actually feeling harder because of going so slow. It wasn’t nearly enough training and not enough taper. Doing ten miles easy did NOT make me ready for 13.1 at race pace, or really at any pace. I would not recommend it to anyone for a first half except someone young with good mechanics and no tendency towards injury.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner are those gravel roads? Oh my! Running long runs on gravel, I’m impressed.

5 miles on trails at WC Johnson. We were under another heat advisory today but got lucky - ten minutes before we headed out, a storm blew through just to the south of us and the temperature dropped fifteen degrees. I was afraid we’d get rain and the trails would be mucky, but it missed us. So we had a tolerable run, 80 degrees instead of 98, with a strong breeze blowing.