August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    So I have some new neighbors, I am not really sure I want them around...
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png

They’re so pretty though! Are they the aggressive type, and how close are they to where people have to be? If they aren’t that aggressive or that close, I would leave them.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    8 miles today, and my squid costume has arrived. I registered for a race at the zoo - a friend is dressing as a lemur for the run, and I couldn't be outclassed by going in street clothes.

The drama here is all about outfits for the Renaissance Faire. Splitting up the tickets to go 2 Saturdays instead of a full weekend means I'll have another week to craft (and wreck some more fabric, if things keep going the way they have been) before the first visit, and yet another week to keep trying for another attempt. It was all very last minute to begin with, and I'm going to do my best to keep my mouth shut and not share any more of my ridiculous neuroticism regarding garb. There's only trouble if I mention a problem with my outfit. There is probably no way to fix my issues. I certainly can't think of any. The craft project that failed involved attaching some chainmail that I've had kicking around for the past 20 (really? How old AM I?) years or so to a leather belt that would also support a leather barbarian style skirt. I have cutting anxiety about the whole deer hide to begin with. The leather I got from Tandy Leather to make the belt turned out to be insufficient to support the weight of all the metal, and I didn't even like my stitching, and perhaps I need to rivet this mess instead of sewing, and I definitely NEED heavier leather... And he tells me to keep trying. And I remind him that none of this will even solve the issue with it just being too damn hot to wear so many layers in the first place, and I don't even WANT to keep trying. But he ordered me armor (that turns out not to fit) and spent the whole week 3D printing a helmet (also doesn't fit, especially with the neck-piece and the shoulders of the armor clashing for space) and the garb he asked me to sew for him isn't working to his satisfaction, either...

Does anyone know of a faire that is held at an appropriate time of year to wear sweaters and drink cocoa? Instead of sweating into too many layers of fabric and leather?

exercise.png

Haha, you have my sympathy! I used to do the SCA thing but it’s been decades. Some of my favorite events were held in midwinter in hotels.

I think cutting into leather is terrifying for anyone. It’s just so expensive and there’s no way to fix it if you mess up.
  • Squish815
    Squish815 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

[spioler]
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png
    [/spoiler]

Nope. Nope nope nope.

Nope.
  • Squish815
    Options
    I believe the general rule for tapering is taper about as many days as there are miles in the race, so two weeks out from a HM should be plenty long enough for you to recover from a long run. That gives you a couple of days to catch up on sleep after your work, then run, then have a couple of cut back weeks, then race.

Thank you @rheddmobile ! That sounds sensible enough. I was just scared of overdoing it then trying to run with legs that already dislike me!

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png

They’re so pretty though! Are they the aggressive type, and how close are they to where people have to be? If they aren’t that aggressive or that close, I would leave them.

Yep, I have some of a slightly different type above my door / entry, but they don't bother me and I don't bother them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Squish815 wrote: »
    I believe the general rule for tapering is taper about as many days as there are miles in the race, so two weeks out from a HM should be plenty long enough for you to recover from a long run. That gives you a couple of days to catch up on sleep after your work, then run, then have a couple of cut back weeks, then race.

Thank you @rheddmobile ! That sounds sensible enough. I was just scared of overdoing it then trying to run with legs that already dislike me!

That is an awfully long taper. I would not say that is right. Instead, take a look at this plan from Hal and you can see about when the long runs should fall vs the race. It is a novice plan and very sensible:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    dqc4tptq1q7z.png

They are Bald Faced Hornets, and by all accounts very aggressive. I will have a pro come to remove them. We have someone over our house regularly that brings a 1-year-old and this is right near the main path. Not worth the risk, IMO.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Hi, new to the community. Returning to running following injury, can’t wait to get back but know I have to take it easy. Hope you’re all ok.

Vicky

Welcome!
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    @vickyrunner Welcome :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

That is an awfully long taper. I would not say that is right. Instead, take a look at this plan from Hal and you can see about when the long runs should fall vs the race. It is a novice plan and very sensible:

https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/novice-1-half-marathon/

I don't know about that @pastorvincent, especially for someone running their first HM... the taper plan I have used and posted last month I think for someone who was looking for one, has the last long run effort 2 weeks prior to the race and then shorter/easier/less frequent runs in that 2 week spread. It worked well for me for my first and left me feeling strong and confident that my legs wouldn't be too tired come race day. Since then I have been able to adjust and do a shorter taper depending on how my training was going and how I felt but I don't think 2 weeks is too long before a first HM. Everyone is different though and should decide what seems best for them.

@Squish815 - If you can't get to the article let me know and I can post the clip of it that I saved.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

I don't know about that @pastorvincent, especially for someone running their first HM... the taper plan I have used and posted last month I think for someone who was looking for one, has the last long run effort 2 weeks prior to the race and then shorter/easier/less frequent runs in that 2 week spread. It worked well for me for my first and left me feeling strong and confident that my legs wouldn't be too tired come race day. Since then I have been able to adjust and do a shorter taper depending on how my training was going and how I felt but I don't think 2 weeks is too long before a first HM. Everyone is different though and should decide what seems best for them.

@Squish815 - If you can't get to the article let me know and I can post the clip of it that I saved.

Everyone has to learn their own bodies and work what works for them, but untold millions have used Hal's plans to run their first half-marathon. Anyone can push too hard and anyone can get hurt using any plan. The Hal plan will work for most new runners most of the time. No plan is perfect.

But I do not agree that even a brand new runner needs 2+ weeks taper for HM. "1 taper day per mile" is not mentioned in that article and will fall apart fast if you push it out to the larger races. I ran a 50k recently, should I have had over a MONTH taper for that? What about the people that run 100-mile races? That is a 3-month taper. You will lose significant conditioning in these long tapers.

Will shifting Hals plan back a single week make any real difference? Probably not. Whether you run the last 10 miles 1 week before or 2 weeks before will have little difference race morning. So if a person is concerned and wants to shift it, it will be okay.

IMO, YMMV and all that. But I would suggest sticking with the experts out there that make the plans, like Hal, specifically designed for new runners and tweak based on how your body is reacting.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Great picture of those not so nice neighbor's house. At least they are up high in a tree, it looks like. Hopefully, they won't "bug" you too much! ;)

@vickyrunner Welcome. My real name is Vicky too!

• PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

My take on this... I used the Hal Higdon Novice 1 HM for my first (and so far only) half back in December. I feel for me, that last long run the weekend before (which was also my longest run ever) was too much too soon and the race (yeah, I pushed too hard!) finished my legs off. Ended up with severe contractures pretty much everywhere and had to take a month or so off completely then start from scratch under a physiotherapist.
    This time round I'm going to try the Novice 2 plan as the long runs are slightly longer while the mid-week runs are slightly shorter, and I've moved it forward a week so I will have more of a taper week before the race itself. Hoping that means I arrive better prepared and with more rested legs!

I am sorry this happened to you. New runners often push too hard. That is probably the hardest lesson in running... SLOW DOWN. :smiley:

A 10-mile RACE LEVEL EFFORT the week before a half-marathon is definitely way too much for most new runners. Those 10 miles should be run at a "conversational pace" - that is slow enough that if you had a running partner you could have a conversation while you run.

The race itself should be run easy. The article that @shanaber quotes above puts it well for a first half-marathon. That is START OUT SLOW and pick up the pace in the last third if you are feeling good.

Pushing too hard is a constant problem for runners, even at the pro/elite level. We are all tempted to do it :)
  • Squish815
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber @eleanorhawkins and @PastorVincent for chipping in with advice and links! I've had a quick look at them and at the moment I'm sticking with 2 weeks before - just because that makes more sense in my personal circumstances with work.

That's not to say I won't run a long run the week before, I just won't make it my longest run. I've saved the links though and will have a proper look over everything later in the week when I have some time off. Thanks again for the help :smile:
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    8-1 3.5k slow
    8-2 3.5k easy
    8-3 4k slow
    8-4 7k easy
    8-5 rest
    8-6 5k easy
    8-7 7k slow
    8-8 7k slow
    8-9 7k easy
    8-10 7k easy
    8-11 7k easy
    8-12 rest
    8-13 7k easy
    8-14 7k slow
    8-15 rest
    8-16 7k easy
    8-17 REST
    8-18 7k moderate

August Total: 86k
    August Goal: 150k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k

Monthly average: 148.5k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k.
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen

Well, the rest day that actually consisted of rest seems to have worked. Even though it was in the high 60s F and very humid, I still ran my fastest training time since the Solon race. Legs felt a little stiff in the first K and a little sore in the last K, but felt pretty good in between. Don't know if it was psychological or physiological (or a mixture of both), but the results were what I was looking for.

Have contributed 700 miles to Run the Year Team Five for Nineteen's total of 1,707 miles.

Welcome to the group, @vickyrunner!

2019 Races:

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k
    9-14 Gift of Life 5k
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber @eleanorhawkins and @PastorVincent for chipping in with advice and links! I've had a quick look at them and at the moment I'm sticking with 2 weeks before - just because that makes more sense in my personal circumstances with work.

That's not to say I won't run a long run the week before, I just won't make it my longest run. I've saved the links though and will have a proper look over everything later in the week when I have some time off. Thanks again for the help :smile:

Yes, all plans always have to fall before the almighty calendar. What is important is that the plans work for YOU. Not you work for the plan. :)