August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    So I have recently had several things come together in my life, healthwise, to concern me. About 2 months ago I started having intermittent neuropathy in my feet, coupled with the appearance of some bilateral lower leg swelling and what has been noted as a venous stasis ulcer on my right shin(indicative of poor blood flow). My average blood sugar,fasting, has been creeping up to about 100-110, up from the 70-80 it usually is. All of these things singly would not be concerning, but considering my family's strong history of type 2 diabetes I felt it prudent to do something about it. Fortunately God felt the same way. About 4 weeks ago the trainer I use at our local facility received a grant for the PREVENT T2 program. Much like MFP it uses support in the form of group accountability, keeping a food diary and regular weigh-ins with incentives for completing all of the year long classes. In the last few weeks I have noted that though I thought I was doing well calorie wise, that was obviously not the case. My goals are to bring my food back under the control it used to be along with running, lifting and walking. Hopefully I will not be too late in dealing with this issue....Take care everyone, and I will see you on here often :smiley:

My runs and walks have been posting to Strava but life has been hectic with heading back to school in less than 2 weeks from today. Thankfully school will not affect my running days at all, in fact it may even make it easier to nab longer runs during the week....hmmm :o .

Now back to trying to catch up on all the posts from this month :D

I hope everything works out for you.

• Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Any chance your sister lives at a higher elevation than what you are used to running at? I was down in Mexico City a few months ago and didn't realize the elevation was 7300' where I was staying (I live at 900'). Totally destroyed my runs.
    Faebert wrote: »
    Had a weird experience this morning. I’m staying at my sister’s place in a different city. Slept pretty badly so headed to the small park opposite to run some laps as I don’t know the area. Felt like my usual pace for a long-ish run, fairly flat, bit of stiffness but no injuries. But my pace according to my Garmin was way off! I couldn’t believe it when I looked at some of the splits while I was running! Kept kicking up the pace a bit but it still took me an hour just to run 9km when I usually do 10km in just under an hour.

I was going to chalk it down to tiredness but looking at my step count, it’s over 11k which is what I use to cover a 10km distance. V strange! Anyway, long story short I did 5.6 miles this morning, or maybe more. Will have to see how I go on my next run on familiar territory....

8/2: 3.1m
    8/4: 13.2m (race, 2hr:12m)
    8/7: 6.1m
    8/11: 7.5m
    8/14: 7.3m
    8/16: 5.6m

42.8m of 70m
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    3.16 miles tonight and ZERO HIP PAIN. Felt good. I’ve been using the new Saucony shoes for these last 5 training runs and I think they make a big difference. I haven’t worn the Brooks on a run yet since I haven’t quite worked out a shoe rotation strategy. Since I’m still fairly new to running I’m interested in hearing shoe strategies from all of you.

So this is going to get you very varied answers:

1) Some people own more than one pair of active running shoes.. say 3 or 4 - all different brands/styles. They buy them staggered so they wear out at different times, and they rotate them through each run. Then when one wears out, they replace it with a new pair putting it in rotation with the others. The argument in favor of this is that your foot gets used to just 1 exact pair it can develop muscle weaknesses. I do not think this is true, but I have no proof.

2) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them every X number of miles (whatever the manufacturer claims for that shoe) - regardless if they seem like they need it or not. The argument here is that new shoes are cheaper than weeks of therapy if you get hurt from running on bad shoes.

3) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them when they think they are worn out. The argument here is that shoe manufacturers have a vested interest in you replacing your shoes sooner than they are needed.

4) Some people are shoe hoarders(or collectors). This category is self-explanatory. :smiley:

Those are the main groups, and of course, there is mix/match/variations on those schemes. In the end, I always advise you to experiment and do what works best for you.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    3.16 miles tonight and ZERO HIP PAIN. Felt good. I’ve been using the new Saucony shoes for these last 5 training runs and I think they make a big difference. I haven’t worn the Brooks on a run yet since I haven’t quite worked out a shoe rotation strategy. Since I’m still fairly new to running I’m interested in hearing shoe strategies from all of you.

1) Some people own more than one pair of active running shoes.. say 3 or 4 - all different brands/styles. They buy them staggered so they wear out at different times, and they rotate them through each run. Then when one wears out, they replace it with a new pair putting it in rotation with the others. The argument in favor of this is that your foot gets used to just 1 exact pair it can develop muscle weaknesses. I do not think this is true, but I have no proof.

2) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them every X number of miles (whatever the manufacturer claims for that shoe) - regardless if they seem like they need it or not. The argument here is that new shoes are cheaper than weeks of therapy if you get hurt from running on bad shoes.

3) Some people have just targeted pairs (one for street, one for the trail, etc) (or just 1 pair) and replace them when they think they are worn out. The argument here is that shoe manufacturers have a vested interest in you replacing your shoes sooner than they are needed.

4) Some people are shoe hoarders(or collectors). This category is self-explanatory. :smiley:

Those are the main groups, and of course, there is mix/match/variations on those schemes. In the end, I always advise you to experiment and do what works best for you.

Which category do you fall into?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Umm the category of "Do as I say, not as I do" LOL
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Which means he frequently wears shoes well psst their manufacturer stated life, and possibly the actual life of the shoe.

I used to be option 3, mostly because shoes are so dammed expensive I could never afford more than a pair at a time. I would replace them when I start getting knee and/or ankle pain. Currently I'm option 1 because some very generous people gave me money towards a pair just as I managed to buy a cheap pair off amazon (not sure I'll repeat that), so I'm mixing it up. The are technically the same shoe but the American pair feels firmer and I'm not as happy with them as I am the kiwi pair - but that may be just a psychological thing.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Which means he frequently wears shoes well psst their manufacturer stated life, and possibly the actual life of the shoe.

I used to be option 3, mostly because shoes are so dammed expensive I could never afford more than a pair at a time. I would replace them when I start getting knee and/or ankle pain. Currently I'm option 1 because some very generous people gave me money towards a pair just as I managed to buy a cheap pair off amazon (not sure I'll repeat that), so I'm mixing it up. The are technically the same shoe but the American pair feels firmer and I'm not as happy with them as I am the kiwi pair - but that may be just a psychological thing.

Interesting... the pair I was wearing when I got the hip pain were from Amazon. I also had 300-400 miles on them and they were designed for trail instead of the roads I run on. They got me by fine for 6 months but now they are for casual wear. That hip pain was annoying and sidelined me from my usual activity. The prompt to get 2 new pairs was when I got a generous gift card for being employee of the month while sidelined.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Interesting... the pair I was wearing when I got the hip pain were from Amazon. I also had 300-400 miles on them and they were designed for trail instead of the roads I run on. They got me by fine for 6 months but now they are for casual wear. That hip pain was annoying and sidelined me from my usual activity. The prompt to get 2 new pairs was when I got a generous gift card for being employee of the month while sidelined.

Hmmm interesting. My shoes are asics gel kayano 25s. When the 26s came out I tried finding cheap pairs in my size but in NZ they were non-existentant. So bought the pair from amazon. I've been told that manufacturers make shoes slightly different for different markets. One big stand out is the shoelaces are significantly shorter in the US pair haha. So no idea if its true or just psychosomatic. Also I haven't been doing a lot of running lately so any differences could just be that! Also running different paths than I'm used to since I moved towns.

• emmamcgarity
    Options
    Mine were also ASICS which I loved, but the Saucony and Brooks definitely have a better heel cradle for me which I am really enjoying.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

If you wear a shoe and have pain. Switch to a new shoe and have no more pain, the that is conclusive proof the shoe is worn out (or if it is new, it is the wrong shoe). Toss it and move on no matter how many/few miles it has.
  • emmamcgarity
    Options

If you wear a shoe and have pain. Switch to a new shoe and have no more pain, the that is conclusive proof the shoe is worn out (or if it is new, it is the wrong shoe). Toss it and move on no matter how many/few miles it has.
    Well... I might have also been doing other stupid things like overtraining beyond what my training plan called for, skipping rest days, and running on uneven sidewalks further distances than I was physically ready for, but let’s not talk about that....
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    I have not read this yet, but have it open for when I get home later...

Runners World did a piece on @MobyCarp:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/a28703023/rochester-pacer-dies-during-half-marathon/

Thanks. That is a very good article. He was well loved and respected by everyone 💓
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately. I missed a lot of posts the first of this month, but have just been stalking and liking things since then. I had made my goal 60 miles this month, thinking I could do at least 2 miles a day of either walking or running. Well, that only lasted one day! Then I had a horrible week and a half. I'm finally back on track this week, but am only up to 19 ish miles so far. I have a vacation next week, so I KNOW I will be no where near 60 miles. Oh well. At least I was dreaming big. LOL

@Scott6255 I didn't have an anniversary, but a birthday. I turned 60 on the 4th.

@PastorVincent Congrats to you and your wife on your races. That cake looked amazing and, I agree, there are no calories in birthday cake (or birthday ice cream). I loved your comment to someone who was just starting to run. "Don't compare your chapter to someone else's epilogue." I think I may just use that a lot. Happy Anniversary!!! Thanks for sharing the article on MobyCarp. He will be missed by so many people.

@workaholic_nurse Sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope your plan helps you get it all under control before it get worse.

Sounds like you had a great race @juliet3455 , especially in those conditions! I've never raced with that many people before. Not sure how I would do since I really don't like crowds. LOL

@ariceroni Good luck with your race. It sounds brutal.