Shortage of Broccoli!

lesdarts180
lesdarts180 Posts: 2,666 Member
Help! The UK is suffering a shortage of broccoli and cauliflower! (Weather conditions apparently)
Both of these are my staple veggies to fulfil my usual diet (WOE, now in maintenance). I go for high volume, high fibre, fairly low calorie meals and low cal veggies are essential. Luckily, I have a good supply of runner beans from my boyfriends allotment but I'm running out of ideas. What are the rest of you doing?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Another vote for frozen. I probably wouldn't like frozen broccoli, but I think I'd be fine with frozen cauliflower.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Another vote for frozen. I probably wouldn't like frozen broccoli, but I think I'd be fine with frozen cauliflower.

I've used it and it's fine, especially in stir frys.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited August 2019
    Last time I tried frozen cauli it was disgusting - very soft - I like my veg crunchy. I suppose I could try a stirfry. I'll see whether my local supermarket has any tomorrow. How long before they sell out?

Are you eating it raw? If not, you're overcooking it. No idea how long before they sell out. Sorry.
  • kshama2001
    Last time I tried frozen cauli it was disgusting - very soft - I like my veg crunchy. I suppose I could try a stirfry. I'll see whether my local supermarket has any tomorrow. How long before they sell out?

Ya, I like my vegetables crunchy as well and last time I tried frozen broccoli (which was a very long time ago), it was soft too.
  • kshama2001
    I'm waiting for some more pole bean to be ready so I can make this again: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10686125/pasta-green-beans-and-potatoes-with-pesto
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,666 Member
    I can get sprouts, I don't like kale, collard greens- I don't know what they are.
    I like sugar snaps but I'm trying to avoid buying stuff that has to be flown in from abroad. Trying to eat local.
    I heard it on radio 4, and my local shops have very little or none in stock, they agree they can't get them.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    We love broccoli, too. I was surprised at how delicious frozen broccoli came out when I roasted it. Granted, I enjoy a softer cooked vegetable.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited August 2019
    NovusDies wrote: »
    What about all of the other low calorie vegetables? There are more than 3 you know.

This was my thought.

Zucchini (or whatever you call it over there), summer squash, radishes, turnips, all kinds of greens (my chard is out of control currently, but there are so many more too), cucumbers, tomatoes, leeks, fennel, peppers, string beans, fresh peas, fresh favas, asparagus, celery, celeriac, carrots, brussels, so on.

I don't know what's local to you, but these are all local for me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I can get sprouts, I don't like kale, collard greens- I don't know what they are.
    I like sugar snaps but I'm trying to avoid buying stuff that has to be flown in from abroad. Trying to eat local.
    I heard it on radio 4, and my local shops have very little or none in stock, they agree they can't get them.

I do the same in season, but if local isn't available, I'll buy either frozen or flown in because, at the end of the day, it still supports a farmer somewhere.

I was just thinking the same thing!