Where are my fellow Pilates addicts??

I did a search for Pilates and the most recent thread was from 2017, so starting a new one. I discovered Pilates in December and am addicted. I started going every day and some days two classes in a row. It's the only exercise I've ever tried that I love and know I can stick with the rest of my life (I'm 50-ish). In 7 months it has made such an improvement to the way my body looks, and to how I feel:

Better balance
More defined muscles
Fat disappearing (especially on upper arms! yay!)
More strength
More endurance
Better posture
Guess what- I actually have abs!
Overall confidence booster!!

I travel a lot for work, so I now research Pilates studios in the cities I visit so I can keep it up while on the road. If there are others who love this as much as I do, let me hear from you. What do you like/dislike, what changes has it made for you? I know I sound like I'm in a cult, but if you love Pilates, you get it. :-)

Replies

• dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    In my 50's as well and I love Pilates (though I may not be an addict).

My home setup includes a Allegro 2 Reformer and Tower in addition to a Spine Corrector.

I initially began by taking private lessons for about 1 year with a certified Classical instructor who studied in NYC. Mat and apparatus. After a while, I began integrating other forms into my practice.
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Good for you! I'm not sure I could do it on my own. For me, the class environment works. One of the things I love about Pilates is that pretty much anyone at any age or fitness level can get something out of it.
  • dm01234_1
    dm01234_1 Posts: 31 Member
    For sure it's a sustainable long-term practice that can be done way into the ages.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    I try to get in several mat classes a week. I started in December, too, and feel like it’s really helped with toning, strength, and particularly confidence.
  • vickilgreshik
    vickilgreshik Posts: 13 Member
    I love Pilates as well. I did a group class for nearly 8 years until it was discontinued. Woe is me! Not a spec of back trouble the entire time. No more classes in my area and the core classes at the new gym seem to be for younger crowd. I’m 60. So after a 7-year hiatus I’m doing Pilates with a video at home but really miss the classes.
  • vonnie6593
    vonnie6593 Posts: 1 Member
    Love Pilates too. I am mostly a runner so I go to a mat class 2x week. Pilates has really helped me with my overall strength and flexibility ( which isn’t much lol). I try to get new people to go with me all the time because I think it is the best..
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    I've just recently discovered pilates through the online videos available through Amazon Prime Video (specifically, the "Pilates for Beginners" series by Taylor Gordon). I tired and busy and most times would rather not do it, but I've noticed that about 5 minutes in I start to enjoy it, and afterwards feel much better and ever sometimes want to continue to stretch. I'm going to join a class next month to keep me motivated, and to learn in an environment with a teacher so my posture, etc, can be corrected. I'm just nervous about doing longer than about half an hour at a time!
  • lauragreenbaum
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    I've just recently discovered pilates through the online videos available through Amazon Prime Video (specifically, the "Pilates for Beginners" series by Taylor Gordon). I tired and busy and most times would rather not do it, but I've noticed that about 5 minutes in I start to enjoy it, and afterwards feel much better and ever sometimes want to continue to stretch. I'm going to join a class next month to keep me motivated, and to learn in an environment with a teacher so my posture, etc, can be corrected. I'm just nervous about doing longer than about half an hour at a time!

If you can, try a Pilates class. They have several different levels- believe me, there are 80 year olds in the beginners class, so I'm sure you'll be ok!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    I love Pilates and have been doing reformer classes for 10 years now. I was a twisted mess before. Now I have much better balance , core strength, overall strength and flexibility. I go 2x/week
  • lauragreenbaum
    I love Pilates and have been doing reformer classes for 10 years now. I was a twisted mess before. Now I have much better balance , core strength, overall strength and flexibility. I go 2x/week

I love it too! Finally in my 50's to find an exercise that I love and can stick with has been life changing. I've been going regularly for 9 months now and it's made such a difference in everything.
  • mallinds
    mallinds Posts: 26 Member
    I recently started Pilates (thanks class pass!)

I’ve done mat (not my favorite), tower (favorite), reformer (seond favorite) and megaformer (hard but I think I like it)

I also do a lot of barre classes. I CANNOT get into yoga for the life of me.
  • lauragreenbaum
    mallinds wrote: »
    I recently started Pilates (thanks class pass!)

I’ve done mat (not my favorite), tower (favorite), reformer (seond favorite) and megaformer (hard but I think I like it)

I also do a lot of barre classes. I CANNOT get into yoga for the life of me.

I hear you on the yoga. I tried several types of yoga many times and I just get so bored. I love that in Pilates we are moving all the time. I love the reformer and I've grown to love the chair. I hate the Bosu because my balance isn't the greatest. I also love planking- which I know sounds crazy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    I have been doing pilates for several years now, to be honest out of necessity (permanent disability progibiting my preferred types of exerice). I have come to love some classes, not all, and it depends a lot on the instructor. While I am definitely "advanced" and have done some really hard classes at time, to be perfectly honest, the changes in my body have been for the worse, not the best, coming from a combination of running/dancing and lifting. I have definitely improved core strength, but overall muscle definition is lower than what it was when I could focus more on weight lifting.
    Add me to the people who cannot do yoga, I have tried several times as friends who do pilates seem to also love yoga, but I cannot get into it, it just bores me to death, even power yoga.
  • dimrub
    dimrub Posts: 11 Member
    I've been doing Pilates for almost 2 years now, and loving it (albeit perhaps not to the same degree as the topic starter). Really helped me with my back aches, and perhaps contributed to me being an injury-free runner.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    @lauragreenbaum I love planking, too!!!! As soon as our instructor says we’ll be doing a two-minute plank, I just go ahead and start, while she explains to others, so I usually wind up with a four or five minute plank. I don’t know why they’re so satisfying, but they are. I just feel so crazy strong when I plank, lol. While everyone else is griping and bellyaching, I am convinced I’m having a good time,
  • LeiLaura

If you can, try a Pilates class. They have several different levels- believe me, there are 80 year olds in the beginners class, so I'm sure you'll be ok!

I'm going to try one next week, I'm so excited! :)
  • lauragreenbaum

I hope you love it! Let me know
  • LeiLaura

Thanks! Will do :)
  • Bill70sStrong
    Bill70sStrong Posts: 1,143 Member
    edited August 2019

Yes, I too hope you like it!! Looking forward to your comments!!