relative lack of kitchen?

13»

Replies

• rajjivahaloh
    rajjivahaloh Posts: 32 Member
    Is there a reason you can’t ask or know about when you can and can’t use the kitchen?

Just saw this now. It's because they don't know. They are in poor health and feel the need to access the kitchen sporadically, on zero notice, and with no one else in it. Sometimes I'm required to stop cleaning before I'm done, put anything down and walk out.
  • rajjivahaloh
    Doing final preparations for this event. I've read every word of the thread again, and have collated all ideas into one Word document. I have a fab plan thanks to all of you. So grateful!!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    At home, I've let go of 12 lbs over the last two months, nearly effortlessly. I simply increased my protein, portioned my meals, tracked my calories, took up coffee, and walked lots. So far, so good!

Soon I'll stay in someone else's home for about 10 days. My current system will be inaccessible.

The differences:

1. No internet: No option to look up calories as I go, put them into MFP, etc.

2. No microwave. Especially in the summer's heat, microwave has been super helpful in my weight loss. I buy delicious, pre-portioned, higher protein meals for super cheap and nuke 'em. Done!

3. Limited options for walking.

4. They eat and offer almost entirely high calorie starchy foods.

5. The kitchen is quite dirty (uncomfortable for me to prepare foods in; I clean it 2-4x per day, but within minutes it's dirty again).

So far my plan is:

a. Bring my skim milk powder frother with me, as that gives me a lovely coffee twice a day.

b. Bring lots of my nonperishable grocery staples (low-cal jello cups, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, sample size cereals, etc).

c. Walk the limited option available.

d. I'm thinking maybe I should bring my microwave and nuke stuff in my room, even...

Question:

What else can I do to maintain my success while there??

I'm curious what "limited options for walking" means???
  • rajjivahaloh
    edited August 2019
    I'm curious what "limited options for walking" means???

I'll be in a geographically strange and restrictive area.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Total Aside:

tl;dr: Requesting congratulations!

In May I told my shiny new doctor that I was now at the highest weight of my life, I think including pregnancy! I said that ten months newly at the gym, and the things that normally worked for me -including cutting out all "problematic" foods for six recent weeks- had had no impact, and I was now officially concerned. I had also recently resigned myself to the new, sticky weight, donated away the biggest clothes I'd worn for up to 14 years previously, and bought in my new, bigger size.

He acknowledged that weight at my stage of life can be very sticky, and loss tricky. He was willing to refer me for more help, but in the meantime suggested MFP ("or anything like it").

I was skeptical as I'd never need to count calories before, but the very first food I went to enter made clear the issue. The pounds have fallen off. I've now lost 7% of that starting weight, feel WAY better on multiple counts, and am very happy with my new size. This feels acceptable, healthy, tickedyboo.

I'm excited to show the doctor when I see him in some weeks.

However, I was sooooooooooooo disappointed when MFP software didn't toss up big celebratory GIFs when I achieved my goal. AND, no one in my life has noticed! So, here I have had what feels like a massive breakthrough, and there have been no high-fives, not from computers and not from humans.

Can someone here please say nice things about my success? :)

0ef676781da3fd806f39976d3adda5e2.png
  • rajjivahaloh
    lol @kshama2001 ! And thank you :):):) And I'm down 15 pounds now. Goal is to return at same or less.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Maybe take some foil, wax paper to put down on floor somewhere to sit and food prep if you might not have access to even the counter; a camp stove & metal cup/foil to wrap food to cook on it for some minor cooking outside.? Look into other camp/backpacking food options on backpacking sites/forums?
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Is there a reason you can’t ask or know about when you can and can’t use the kitchen?

Just saw this now. It's because they don't know. They are in poor health and feel the need to access the kitchen sporadically, on zero notice, and with no one else in it. Sometimes I'm required to stop cleaning before I'm done, put anything down and walk out.

I'm sorry if this is rude, but they sound like very strange people! Why does poor health require them to use the kitchen in total solitude?

Anyway, good luck and it sounds like you have a plan figured out to deal with this.
  • rajjivahaloh
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    Why does poor health require them to use the kitchen in total solitude?

Lots of factors. A wide range of neurological conditions can result in a need for a wide berth for certain activities. Folks without any of these conditions are definitely very lucky!
  • rajjivahaloh
    UPDATE:

It was tricky in some aspects, but overall it worked out. I returned at precisely the same weight as I left with! 168.8 lbs. lol!

WHAT DIDN'T WORK:

*body scale: I mostly had access only to carpeted areas, and the scale didn't work on those

*bowel movements! Often when I travel, that just stops, no matter what I do. I was perfectly comfortable, but pooping daily feels like an important part of my health journey.

WHAT WORKED:

...all other aspects of the plan!! Thanks, again, folks!!!

*planning very simple meals that didn't require counter space, microwave, etc

*mostly eating what I normally eat at home

*plans for take-out and "fast" prepared food

*enjoying vastly smaller portions of their offerings

*bringing my favourite low calorie ingredients and treats, high protein stuff, etc

*walks as available

NINJA MOVES

Several unanticipated variables popped up: a friend taking us out for a meal; a surprise party; gift of [unmentionable]; extra days. I simply aimed to keep things in balance. 75 days of MFP had left me with a good sense of what I need, how many calories are in x, etc.

I was super bummed to find that MFP doesn't let me log late. I went out of my way to access internet on day four, aiming to transfer my tracked calories from paper to the software, only to find MFP wouldn't acknowledge inputs for the interim dates. Even though I logged and stayed on track, MFP has killed my "streak" and has me back at Day 1. I liked it telling me how many days in a row I'd done. Darn!

OVERALL

Thrilled that I ate well, felt well, and returned to find I'd met my goal of "same weight or less."
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Well done on getting through what sounded like a stressful situation with grace and having maintained your weight! Next time such a disruption to your normal routines comes along you’ll be a little more comfortable having confidence in your ability to cope and cope well! 😊
  • rajjivahaloh
    Thank you so much, @BarbaraHelen2013 :) And yep, I've even saved and modified my typed plan so it's ready for next time.