Can’t lose weight- suffered injures

Options
I’m a 21 year old male and I’m 5,7 i weigh 91.6 kilos and that’s 200+ pounds

After suffering multiple injuries my activity level has gone down a lot and I have no appetite some days I can’t even eat 1000 calories

What should I do in this case?

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I agree with both posters above me. In addition, you should consult a doctor if you have decreased appetite, just to make sure there isn’t something else going on.

As for exercising with multiple previous injuries, I suggest working with a good, qualified, experienced personal trainer. They will be able to make necessary modifications to your exercise so that you can get to your goal while working around previous injuries.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Did you just eat the 6 eggs, straight out of the shells, no toast, crackers, salad, vegetables? If the answer is yes to that, why would you do that when you’re aware you’re not eating enough to fuel your recovery?

A bit of rice and beans could range from a couple of 100 cals all the way up to 1000 easily! Depends entirely on your definition of ‘a bit’ and how they were cooked. Recipes I’ve made for rice and beans (as opposed to just stirring a few beans through rice) have included oil, coconut milk etc.

I think if you’re concerned about your intake (as you should be) you’d need to pin down your accuracy and the way you think about your meals quite a bit. I appreciate your appetite may be poor due to recent trauma but it really will help you heal faster if you try to at least eat a decent variety of foods in an appetising way, rather than just plain boiled eggs!
  • eeanneli
    eeanneli Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also weight showing on the scale the day after eating something does not always equal fat gain. You may still have food in your system or extea water or a bit of bloat you need to look at trends rather than getting hung up on a day by day comparison.

Im recently at maintenance and based on how and when I eat I can see variation of a couple kilos. That is before including days where I may have overeaten.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    eeanneli wrote: »
    Also weight showing on the scale the day after eating something does not always equal fat gain. You may still have food in your system or extea water or a bit of bloat you need to look at trends rather than getting hung up on a day by day comparison.

Im recently at maintenance and based on how and when I eat I can see variation of a couple kilos. That is before including days where I may have overeaten.

Yeah I know and I’m not dwelling on it but this has been the case for a while now and it wasn’t like that before
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    If you truly feel that you are unable to eat the minimum number of calories necessary for your body’s basic life functions—which is what you are telling us—then you need to see a doctor.

Maybe not... I an a believer in food reward and intake.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14513063
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    1. Input your stats into MFP, choose rate of about 1 to 1.5 pounds per week, and follow what it tells you. For a male, it will not recommend any less than 1,500 calories.
    2. For good nutrition, to fuel your body, and to help it heal properly you MUST eat your daily calories. You body cannot heal without proper nutrition and fuel. Per MFP this will be at least 1,500 calories per day.
    3. Not knowing your specific injuries, please use caution when exercising. You mentioned repeated injuries. Recommend having your doctor refer you to a physical therapist who can design an exercise program around your injuries, and to help prevent future injuries. If your injuries are severe you may need to eat at maintenance calories until you recover. (also, noticed on another thread you asked about learning how to do a handstand. Please be careful until you recover from your existing injuries).
    4. You mentioned injuries affecting you mentally, including your sleep and appetite. I would want to rule out depression by seeing your doctor.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    igutt wrote: »
    I don’t know how to reply so I’ll just do it this way

Lilly’s response: Yesterday I ate 6 boiled eggs, 3 for breakfast and 3 for dinner and for lunch I ate a bit of rice and beans and that hardly is any calories I still gained 0.1 kg

Harebelle’s response: its been 14 days or so since my most recent injury so I think I’m ready to start training lightly and picking up the pace later on

And I don’t take any pain relief meds and I do want to lose weight but I’m not planning on eating less because I already don’t eat much I think my metabolism has crashed from being inactive for so long

This sounds like a weight fluctuation to me not actual weight gain and it's concerning to me that you're both eating so little and seemingly using water weight fluctuations to justify it. If that's what's going on, it's not healthy.

Are you keeping your weigh-ins consistent (same time of day, same conditions) and not doing anything silly like moving your scale all over the house, weighing after you eat or at different times of the day, etc.?
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    If you're comfortable with it, can you please explain your injuries and how you keep getting them? Without knowing more it seems odd someone your age would have multiple, repeated injuries.

I pulled my hip wrestling
    I injured my groin while doing hill sprints without worming up
    And I’ve got a slipped disk