Vitamin D and the tanning bed
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Tanning and getting up with the sun ...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    For those of you that suffer what are some of the ways you help reduce the effects of SAD?

Saw the title of your post and switched my SAD lamp on :-)
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    The fall equinox really messes me up. I start having nightmares about apples and squash; don't want to be around anyone.
  • MidModJenn
    MidModJenn Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy to find this old thread! I get really bad SAD every Fall and I'm dreading it this year... I've been doing so well with my exercise and healthy eating, and I'm terrified it'll all be undone as the days start to get shorter and my brain shuts down. I've never tried the Vitamin D idea, will have to put that on my shopping list for this weekend!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Once my "winter blues" set in, usually late Oct, I start taking my anti-depressant, Wellbutrin, and continue taking it until gardening season the following spring lifts my mood, at which point I taper off again.

I have a diagnosed D deficiency. 2,000 IU gets my levels back up to normal, but I have seen posters here need far more.

I do most of my hiking Fall - early Spring at a nearby state park. I make a habit of doing this at lunchtime during the work week. When there is snow, I snowshoe out back or work on the trails there - I am the only one who does trail maintenance back there, with sporadic help on some of them by ATVs. I was out there yesterday to get some phragmites, AKA World's Largest Cat Toy, and the trails are SO overgrown - I haven't been out there since gardening season begun. I am fixing to push away from the computer and go out there now.

Anyway, spending time outside in the winter, despite the cold, is very helpful for my mental state. I just bundle up and get out there. I think I've made it to the single digits F.