How I started and stayed on track. Maybe it'll help someone?

Options
I had originally sent this to a couple friends that kept asking how I managed to lose my weight and I figured maybe, just maybe it would help someone here. My tactics are not actually ideal for everyone but it worked for me. Everyone is different. It's a long read but it's been a real learning curve that I managed to straighten out.

Starting
Last July I was finally tired of clothes not fitting, feeling blah and decided that enough was enough. Sitting in the parking lot of an out-of-town Burger King, I scanned through the Play Store looking for an app to assist and educate me. I ultimately download the My Fitness Pal app and explored it for about 15 minutes. Wanting the fastest results possible (I realize now that it is a SLOW process), I enter my then current weight of 250 pounds and enter my goal weight as 150 figuring it would accelerate my weight loss. The app tallies up what my caloric needs per day would be and 1,500 total calories are displayed. Fifteen hundred! I had NO idea how much food 1,500 calories would be but it didn’t take long at all to realize that it wasn’t much at all.

Learning Curve
Starting the calorie counting was a slow process to learn. Old habits are hard to break so I ease into this whole adventure slowly. I want this and I know how my brain works so I start really slow. I figure my typical meals and drinks consumed on a daily basis and put a newly introduced number to it…total calories. I was floored when I realized I was consuming between 3k – 4k+ calories a day! No wonder I’m fat, I tell myself laughing. I start my journey with a very simple reduction of calories. Now aware of how many calories are in my foods, I start to reduce my daily caloric intake down to about 3,000 and over the course of a month I refine it to about 2,000 per day. It takes time to learn and didn’t happen overnight. Being on the go all day and night, we eat out almost every meal so I quickly learn where I can eat and where I cannot.

Empty Calories
I realize that I like to eat and now my calorie counting is becoming obsessive. I want to maximize my food intake and ultimately make the decision to cut out soda. THAT was the easiest decision to make for me as I wanted to EAT those calories…not drink them. Eliminating sodas or high calorie drinks allowed me to increase my meal calorie count drastically. But this left a void and again, knowing how I work…I had to find a substitute quickly. I’m fine with water but I needed a “fun” drink to enjoy. I turned to diet sodas but just could not get over the synthetic after taste. I try bubbly flavored waters but I didn’t enjoy them at all. I went on to try so many calorie free drinks without success until I tried a Monster energy zero ultra. Great flavor, no after taste and it was just a good fit for me, although I’m not a fan of high caffeine drinks. Due to their heavy caffeine levels, I regulate my daily consumption of Monsters until I could find a different drink that I could enjoy. This was 10 months ago and I never did.

My Meals
Over the course of several months I refined my calorie intake to fit within that 1,500 per day. Some days a little more, some days a bit less but I did manage to find a sweet spot. If I consume a lot of calories for lunch, I reduce my calories for dinner and vice versa. I vary on many different restaurants but Wendy’s is a fast lunch go-to for a large chili (280 calories), an apple pecan salad w/o bleu cheese and only ½ the dressing (280 calories) or a grilled chicken sandwich (I remove the top bun and use the bottom bun like a taco, to reduce carbs). It might be spicy lo mein with beef (a favorite), a 1 top pepperoni pizza from Blaze or maybe Wegmans for bourbon chicken or black pepper salmon (300-400 calories). There are many places I frequent but the above are my primary hot spots.
If I brown bag my lunch, it typically is the same thing over and over (I’m fine with consistency): 3 ounces of sliced turkey with 1 slice of swiss on a 60 calorie wrap (that I slice into thirds so it’s only 20 calories). 2 hard boiled jalapeno eggs (I throw away the yoke center), an apple sliced and grapes. Water before and after meals helps suppress your urge for overeating.

Refinements
Realizing I may not be taking in the proper nutrition, I started taking a daily multivitamin religiously. From there I made refinements to my diet that seemed to help immensely. My wife was trying the keto diet and she only counted carbs, not calories. I figured I would just incorporate an aspect of her diet into mine and although I LOVE bread, I reduced it dramatically. Switching from bread to wraps is a game changer as well because you can eliminate a ton of calories fast and with little sacrifice. The wraps I use are 60 calories versus breads/roll which can range from 150-300+ calories. Because of this, I watched my weight drop even faster yet; enough for it to become a permanent part of my diet.

Cheating
I have a sweet tooth the size of Texas and I knew going into this that I need to compromise with myself to be successful. Because of this, I allow myself a “candy allowance” that I try my best to adhere to. I am a sucker for Boston baked beans, Good N Plentys and my favorite…Chewy Nerds. If I overindulge on them, I’ll pay for it later on in the day due to strict calorie counting.
I REALLY miss cookies but I’ve cut them out. You can find me in the cookie aisle drooling and looking like the dead guy in the subway, from the Movie ‘Ghost’, wanting ‘just one more drag’.
I don’t really allow cheat days per se because, to me, that is flirting with disaster. Similar to telling a recovering alcoholic that it is ok to have a few drinks once a week. Stay on track. The exception is the holidays or what I refer to as an overindulgent day…which is when I eat beyond my 1500 calories but stay under the 2,000 threshold.

Exercise
There isn’t much other than walking and I walk a lot with my job and activities. I know many people that are the hard core “gotta gym it, man” but honestly…I have an insanely busy lifestyle that doesn’t leave a lot of time to visit gym. I have family that I love and spending my nights pumping iron is not in my wheelhouse.
Recent Fast Drop in Weight
Over the past week I have eaten the same thing, day in and day out and have watched my weight shred off (a pound a day plus). I don’t understand how eating lo mein can help cut weight but this combination really made me awestruck on the scales. It is not something I intend doing long term but just something I noticed.
• Wake, Monster drink and vitamins.
• I drink a ½ gallon of water before noon.
• Lunch: A small order of spicy lo mein with beef for lunch (757 calories).
• Dinner: To Wegman’s for either 8 ounces of bourbon chicken or black pepper salmon, with rottiserie chicken soup and a small side of green beans/veggies (500 calories total).
• Chewy Nerds snacks (300-400 calories).
• Water throughout the afternoon and at least 30 ounces before bed.

Weigh in
Perhaps I am a bit too obsessive but I have scales at both bathrooms that I use daily. Personal accountability. I notate my weight in the morning and then prior to bed. I use this information to make corrections with what meals I had previously. With unexpected weight gains, I’ll scrutinize meals that I consumed and try to educate myself for later. Most of the time if I had temporary weight gains it was due to meals heavy in the carb department, which was a primary reason for reducing them from my diet.

Wrap Up
1 year into this and I’m 70 pounds lighter, I’m down 2 shirt sizes and my once size 36 pants (that were getting too tight) are now a size 32. I found that my sternum bone protrudes downwards (haven’t seen that in 25 years due to fat), I have a collar bone and my vehicle’s seat has metal hardware down by my tailbone, that made it increasingly uncomfortable to sit in (my once larger self compressed the cushions down)…enough that I bought a new truck.
I know I’m not the most brilliant when it comes to healthy living and many would be floored by my approach but as my physician told me…”I’d rather you in a healthy weight range than where you were”. Everyone is different. Some are Vegan, some like organic home grown foods, some like protein shakes and spending every waking hour at the gym. But this worked for me and it is still a work in progress. I started “somewhere” , did “something” and slowly refined my approach, adding and eliminating as I went along (still doing this). I’ve never truly been a hardcore healthy eater so I really only learned how to control my caloric intake but during my weight loss I’ve actually have learned to eat healthier. I’ve learned that I like salad. I love Asparagus. I love all sorts of things that I previously despised and if this is what it took…overall it is a win win. I couldn’t have done it without My Fitness Pal. It truly is a life changer and has reinvented my life, in a very positive way.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! And yes, you really have learned a lot, haven’t you? Even if it took a while.
    I’m glad you and your Dr. agree you’re in a much better place!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Fantastic progress! :)
  • LindaBeausoleil
    LindaBeausoleil Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Great job.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    That’s a really refreshing read and huge congratulations on your weight loss!

It’s really positive that you went from a point where you realised something had to change to slowly learning and finding your way through what worked for you and the way you live your life. That’s always going to work better than jumping in at the deep end on some ‘plan’ that just adds to the stresses and strains and doesn’t really make you feel comfortable or equipped for the long haul.

Many lessons can be learned from your journey so far. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I had the same laugh when I realized how many calories I was eating every day. And again at my husband when he was staring in horror at his own totals. Yeah, no wonder we got fat! Good grief.

I miss Doritos though. I can't moderate them so I don't eat them, but man do I miss them.
  • strongernurse
    strongernurse Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this.
  • strongernurse
    strongernurse Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Using daily weigh-ins (much less multiple-times-a-day weigh-ins) to make judgments about what you ate is not likely to be fruitful. Weight changes over a matter of hours aren't about loss or gain of body mass. They are about fluctuations in water weight and the food in your digestive tract.

Would you recommend @lynn_glenmont to weigh only once weekly then? I’ve been weighing daily because I don’t want to binge eat, and knowing I have to go on the scale is helping me so far. But wanting to see a loss and not, can be discouraging.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh daily & at the end of the week I figure the average weight. This tells me if I am losing or gaining. I also have started using Trendweight which basically does the same thing.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

Using daily weigh-ins (much less multiple-times-a-day weigh-ins) to make judgments about what you ate is not likely to be fruitful. Weight changes over a matter of hours aren't about loss or gain of body mass. They are about fluctuations in water weight and the food in your digestive tract.

Would you recommend @lynn_glenmont to weigh only once weekly then? I’ve been weighing daily because I don’t want to binge eat, and knowing I have to go on the scale is helping me so far. But wanting to see a loss and not, can be discouraging.

I think it's more about how you respond and use the information, rather than how often you weigh. Weighing daily is fine so long as you realize that the differences from day to day are going to be a stronger reflection of fluctuations in water weight and the weight of food in the process of being digested and eliminated than it is a reflection of any change in body weight. It sounds like the most helpful thing would be for you to recognize this so you can stop expecting to see daily losses reflected on the scales and thus stop being discouraged when that doesn't happen.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    "• Chewy Nerds snacks (300-400 calories).

I can't in good conscience let this go past without pointing out to readers who might emulate it that allotting more than 20% of your calories day after day to something that offers only calories, no protein, EFAs, fiber, vitamins, or minerals, when you are limiting yourself to the bare minimum of calories for someone of your gender, probably is not a good idea."

Lynn,
    While I understand your viewpoint wholeheartedly, I do have to politely disagree to an extent though.
    Rate of failure estimates hover around the 90% mark for the general populace and this is largely in part because of diet plans that are far too strict. Incorporating what you crave has and will produce successful weight loss, with moderation. I always started previous diets with the healthy, healthy, healthy attitude and have continuously failed over and over. There are MANY areas that contain empty calories but I do not suggest to anyone to completely avoid them if that is what will ultimately keep them on track for a healthier lifestyle. Enjoy that fancy coffee, tea, candy or whatever else that tickles your fancy but just be accountable for them. Track those calories and be honest with yourself. Everyone is completely different and needs their own way of completing successful tasks and this was mine. I know there are so many others out there that are similar to me, which was the reason in which I shared my unconventional way of doing things.
    Side note: I should have clarified better though as I wrote 300-400 calories of Nerds when in reality...this was the high side of my daily intake (some days zero, some days 300-400 calories).

You seem to have overlooked almost every word I wrote. My point was with respect to someone limiting themselves to the bare minimum of calories -- such a person would already be almost certainly undertaking a diet plan that is "far too strict." Empty calories are fine if you're already fulfilling your basic nutrition needs. Do you really think someone can eat the bare number of calories intended to allow them to meet their basic nutrition needs, but somehow meet those basic nutrition needs with only 80% of their calories?
  • jazzeb
    jazzeb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you for being transparent and sharing @williamgowjr and congratulations on the weight loss. I appreciate you not saying your way is the only way or the correct way.

I’m of the same school of thought that you are from ... treat yourself every now and then. I’ve even had friends that did WW and were told to treat themselves within the points. Healthy grains, fruits and vegetables are important to have balanced meals as shared by professionals but many trained professionals have also shared that people should treat themselves within reason to be successful throughout their life. For my body type and mindset, I know I can’t really treat myself until after week 3 but that’s my body. A very successful lifestyle program allows you to work something you’re craving into your routine.

It’s inspiring that you’ve taken some good and made it work for you. It seems like you know yourself and habits well enough to also take a multi-vitamin. It sounds like you found a rhythm that works for you and it’s even better that your MD has co-signed on it.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Good post and great job making sustainable changes. I'm a firm believer that the biggest changes in life come from the small things we do faithfully over a long time, not a Herculean effort here and flash in the pan there. I also applaud your experimenting to find satisfying replacements. Very wise. An attitude of experimentation is a real plus for behavior change.

I hear what Lynn is saying about %calories from candy, but there's also something to be said for not letting perfect be the enemy of good. (I realize I'm grossly mis-characterizing Jim Collins' Good-to-Great quote; his point is a really strong one, too.) I guess I'm trying to say small steps in the right direction are infinitely better than attempting a leap that is destined to fail long term. Do what works.

I'm sure your observations will be helpful to many on here. Thanks for sharing.
  • Starliya
    Starliya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Really great, helpful and informative post!
  • UselesslyMedicated
    Options
    Thank you SO much for sharing you weight loss journey. Although it's been pointed out how your practices were wrong or unhealthy I can say that what you did was what worked with YOU. We are all different and have to find our OWN way to loose weight that works for us. At no point did you say "this is how it should be done" or "this is the best way for everyone", you showed what you worked with.
    I too have weeks where I eat the same meals day in and day out, sometimes life gets in the way and to be able to stay on track its easier to grab what you know, rather than starve or over eat!
    As far as weighing yourself every day or each time you visit the bathroom... That's YOUR choice and worked well for you. Me, I dont own a weighing scales as my teenage daughters would be weighing themselves every minute and becoming obsessed with how thin they could be! As I visit my doctor once a month, that's when I will gtt weighed and when I will update the app.... By weighing this way I've decided that I won't over obsess with my loss AND will get a big "WELL DONE" from my weighing doctor, something that most people pay a weekly amount for, for the privilege lol.
    Anyhow, I've ranted but want t lo say we'll done and boo to the people who mock and have put YOUR ways under a microscope!! 💕
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your post! It's very encouraging. I've lost weight before, but it's crept back up over the last year, so it's time to dig back in. Congratulations on your success.