Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Dairy linked to acne?

kjesprs
kjesprs Posts: 5 Member
Growing up i believed acne was caused my dairy products but I just watch Jeff Nippard's video say that studies are inconclusive and not enough data support the fact that acne is caused by dairy products. Women mostly! But men can chime in too, what do you think? I recently just switched to a lower hormone count contraceptive but i still implement dairy products like cheese and my whey protein. I cant seem to find out why my skin broke out all of a sudden :(

Replies

• lg013
    lg013 Posts: 215 Member
    Are you exercising more?

There are hormonal changes that can occur when you start to lose weight. Weigh loss or diet changes can cause your hormones to fluctuate.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited July 2019
    I've just been looking up this stuff for my gf.

Short answer: nobody really knows; acne is a mystery.

Most likely: Skim milk probably has something to do with it. Full fat milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. = probably not. Maybe the fat moderates something somehow. Good luck ;)

• VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    From this meta-analysis, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6115795/,
    Intake of any dairy, any milk, full-fat dairy, whole milk, low-fat/skim milk, and yogurt regardless of amount or frequency were associated with a higher odds ratio for acne compared to no intake in individuals aged 7–30 years.

I've seen studies that say that it's specifically non-fat milk that is responsible and I've seen studies that say that there is not enough evidence to say one way or another.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    kjesprs wrote: »
    Growing up i believed acne was caused my dairy products but I just watch Jeff Nippard's video say that studies are inconclusive and not enough data support the fact that acne is caused by dairy products. Women mostly! But men can chime in too, what do you think? I recently just switched to a lower hormone count contraceptive but i still implement dairy products like cheese and my whey protein. I cant seem to find out why my skin broke out all of a sudden :(

Did the breakout happen shortly after you switched contraceptive?
  • Lynnew83
    Lynnew83 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm vegan and developed acne 6 months ago.
  • justanotherjenn
    justanotherjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Well you just switched contraceptives, so that's probably causing a hormone fluctuation. Is the dairy new to your diet? If you have always had dairy, I don't know why it would be that.
  • bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    I absolutely think it does for me. If I eat yogurt or ice cream I get a huge pimple on my chin the next day. I did food intolerance testing and dairy, whey, casein were my top 3.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I heard eating lots of candy/sweets can make you break out.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    For me it definitely does. I have it up to see what would happen, within a fortnight people were asking me what I was doing.
    Skin had always been awful before that.

I was already on full fat, organic, etc so that made no difference to me.

Why not try going without for 3 weeks to see?
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    I often wonder if it's not the Phthalates. They are in any dairy -- even dairy alternatives if the plastic tubes aren't recent, but more prevalent in real dairy. There was a serious movement away from use of plastic tubing with Phthalates and to make most of it free of the chemical. Still yet, many dairy producers still have it.

It messes with your hormones is the short answer. It's a "xenoestrogen". I think that's why there's a lot of acne bloggers that have had tremendous success with DIM, which blocks xenoestrogens. DIM is ridiculously cheap as a supplement and very harmless. Might be worth looking into.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phthalate
  • xcazax
    xcazax Posts: 43 Member
    I havent read studies but do know that my sisters skin improved a lot when she cut out dairy. Do worry about her bone health though
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Dairy has never caused my skin to break out. I hardly ever eat chocolate these days, and if I do I may get a spot. Mostly for me it is hormonal. I am in perimenopause and I am getting some cracking huge spots on my chin now and then. Oh joy. I strongly suspect the changed contraceptive is what has triggered your latest break out.
  • Annabobanna1985
    Annabobanna1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Perhaps Dairy just doesn't agree with you. The skin is the communicator for the body to show that something's wrong.
  • Nanalove2018
    Nanalove2018 Posts: 283 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    I am dairy free and still break out. No correlation for me.
    Oh my gosh , yep

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Dermatologists claim that both the alleged dairy connection and the chocolate connection are myths.