Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Dairy linked to acne?

Replies

• healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    edited September 2019
    "Some evidence suggests that a person can reduce or prevent acne breakouts by consuming more omega-3 fatty acids, fewer dairy products, and fewer foods with a high glycemic index." from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322639.php
    "The emerging evidence has prompted dermatologists to reexamine the possibility that certain foods can worsen or trigger acne. However, dermatologists agree that diet should not be used as a sole treatment for acne but rather as a complement to proven acne treatments" "The exact cause of acne is unknown, but there are a number of factors that can bring on acne or make it worse, including hormones, genetics, and emotional stress." From: https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/growing-evidence-suggests-possible-link-between-diet-and-acne
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Cows don't have them, cats don't get them.... :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    There is abundance of a hormone called IGF-1 in milk, which is really good for baby cows, but not for you. IGF-1 is a growth hormone. It makes baby cows grow up big and strong, but in humans, it tends to make your acne grow big instead. IGF-1 is one of several factors that cause inflammation in humans, and which eventually lead to acne (and the ugly redness and swelling that makes acne so annoying). Milk and dairy products cause an insulin spike in humans that cause the liver to produce even more IGF-1, leading to even more acne. Dairy causes your skin to produce excess sebum (oil), leading to – you guessed it! – more clogged pores, more acne, and a breeding ground for bacteria, which feed on your sebum and spew out inflammatory by-products. Dairy glues together dead skin cells inside your pores, so they can’t exit naturally, leading to clogged pores (and thus more acne).

The milk and acne effect is well documented in medical literature. In the last decade or so, a number of studies have found a strong link between the consumption of milk and increased occurrence of acne. For example, one such study found that teenage boys who drank milk broke out more often, and more severely, than those who didn’t drink milk. At least five other studies have confirmed that, in general, the more milk you drink, the worse acne you’ll get.
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    There is abundance of a hormone called IGF-1 in milk, which is really good for baby cows, but not for you. IGF-1 is a growth hormone. It makes baby cows grow up big and strong, but in humans, it tends to make your acne grow big instead. IGF-1 is one of several factors that cause inflammation in humans, and which eventually lead to acne (and the ugly redness and swelling that makes acne so annoying). Milk and dairy products cause an insulin spike in humans that cause the liver to produce even more IGF-1, leading to even more acne. Dairy causes your skin to produce excess sebum (oil), leading to – you guessed it! – more clogged pores, more acne, and a breeding ground for bacteria, which feed on your sebum and spew out inflammatory by-products. Dairy glues together dead skin cells inside your pores, so they can’t exit naturally, leading to clogged pores (and thus more acne).

The milk and acne effect is well documented in medical literature. In the last decade or so, a number of studies have found a strong link between the consumption of milk and increased occurrence of acne. For example, one such study found that teenage boys who drank milk broke out more often, and more severely, than those who didn’t drink milk. At least five other studies have confirmed that, in general, the more milk you drink, the worse acne you’ll get.

This is literally the opposite of my family's experience :) I eat several servings of dairy every day and don't deal with acne. My daughter who's completely dairy free has really bad acne. I think age/hormones and genetics are the big factors for if you'll have acne or not.
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    psuLemon wrote: »

This is literally the opposite of my family's experience :) I eat several servings of dairy every day and don't deal with acne. My daughter who's completely dairy free has really bad acne. I think age/hormones and genetics are the big factors for if you'll have acne or not.

I also don't think there is sufficient evidence to make that correlation between dairy and acne. Personally, I also eat dairy daily (like 2-4x a day) and never have had acne.

Also going to wage the poster is either vegetarian or more likely vegan. The bold is a pretty standard argument in that community, but it's a flawed argument. Just like human babies, even if baby cows were fed an alternate diet, they would grow big and strong. That is genetics and natural progression.

Yep, diary is public and I took a peek.

I have several servings each of HWC, butter and then cheese every day (so more than your intake), and the only time I really had acne was in my teens, many years ago. Dairy doesn't have a negative impact on my digestion either.
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    "Some evidence suggests that a person can reduce or prevent acne breakouts by consuming more omega-3 fatty acids, fewer dairy products, and fewer foods with a high glycemic index." from https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322639.php
    "The emerging evidence has prompted dermatologists to reexamine the possibility that certain foods can worsen or trigger acne. However, dermatologists agree that diet should not be used as a sole treatment for acne but rather as a complement to proven acne treatments" "The exact cause of acne is unknown, but there are a number of factors that can bring on acne or make it worse, including hormones, genetics, and emotional stress." From: https://www.aad.org/media/news-releases/growing-evidence-suggests-possible-link-between-diet-and-acne

Hello! So I had severe cystic acne fpr 15 years and tried every imaginable cream and face mask, three (!) rounds of Accutane and three different antibiotics. It cleared once I started to take Dianette and stopped eating refined carbs and sugar as well as other processed food and dairy. I have always been vegetarian so I can't share any experience about cutting out meat. I went off Dianette about a year ago and was really worried my acne would come back. So far no acne (fingers crossed). I wonder if it's gone because I changed my diet to completely vegan (plus a B12 supplement) and no refined/processed food with daily exercise. That's just my experience, though. Hope everyone finds a solution!
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    I dont think there is any legit research on foods being an acne trigger, but I know anecdotally that if you are sensitive to certain foods (like mild intolerance/allergy), it can show up as acne. My moms skin has a lot of inflammation and breaks out when she eats dairy but she had to do an elimination diet to find out.

If you just switched contraceptives i would guess its probably a hormonal issue, a change in hormones can cause your skin to go a little bit off until you adjust to it

• tristanrothwell
    tristanrothwell Posts: 1 Member
    My other half gave up dairy about three years ago to see if it helped her acne - The difference was like night and day for her obviously it won’t work that dramatically for everyone but within a week it was like she had never had it
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    I have been dairy free for 9 months now and still break out the same as before.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    If you just switched birth control I would assume that's what caused your breakouts.
  • gratiansin
    gratiansin Posts: 28 Member
    Dairy is not ment for humans. 67% of population is intolerant so you may be and you don't know. Yes it damages your skin too.
  • bsteves06
    bsteves06 Posts: 66 Member
    I eat ice cream or yogurt and get a huge pimple on my chin the next day. i had the worst skin of my life around my jaw when i was eating multiple servings of dairy every day. i had food intolerance testing done and dairy, why casein were my top 3. so yes i do believe it. for me anyway.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    In the last 4 years or so the ethinyl estradiol and levonorgestrel pill (birth control) I've been on for the last 20 years (off and on) seemed to be causing wicked acne. So I switched to a norgestimate and ethinyl estradiol type pill and the acne has dropped down to the usual "once in a blue moon" experience it used to be.

I'm relieved that dairy is not the hill I have to die on, because *somethingsomething-cold, dead hands." (I love yogurt and cheese.)
  • Suruhhhhhh10
    Suruhhhhhh10 Posts: 2 Member
    Considering most acne is caused by a hormone imbalance, I believe that dairy products do cause it because MOST dairy products are from animals that have been given hormones to grow larger (larger=more $). These hormones put into the animals (which end up as milk, cheese, or eggs) cause an imbalance of hormones in people; causing acne, irregular periods, mood swings, etc... Therefore, dairy=acne + a lot more problems no one realizes.

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Considering most acne is caused by a hormone imbalance, I believe that dairy products do cause it because MOST dairy products are from animals that have been given hormones to grow larger (larger=more $). These hormones put into the animals (which end up as milk, cheese, or eggs) cause an imbalance of hormones in people; causing acne, irregular periods, mood swings, etc... Therefore, dairy=acne + a lot more problems no one realizes.

That's not how it works.