Really frustrated - Please Help

Options

Replies

• dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I’d recommend running your stars through MFP to set your calorie level correctly (and if you walk an hour+ a day you aren’t sedentary); then set your goal to 2lbs loss a week (with 80ish lbs to lose that is an ok rate)

I went back and looked over and made some changes to my carb levels. I changed it to 60 min, walking instead of 75 (for now) and I set my carbs at 48 (instead of 20 approx), fat 93, and protein 65. I don't want to go over 50 carbs. I am going to keep my calories at 1290 for now. That is what MPF gave me the other day, with my excercise amount and wanting to lose 2 ilb a week. I just made some macro adjustments. I may end up changing the proteins and fat amounts around later, depending on how I do. Thanks for the advice.

Just as an FYI, the exercise estimates you put in during set up are NOT factored into your calorie goal. That’s why when you do exercise you are supposed to log and eat those calories back to maintain a NET intake of 1290 (or whatever MFP recommends).

That protein goal is still very low. Most people aim for 1 g/lb of lean body weight which for women is usually anywhere from 80-120 g/day.

I didn't realize that about the calorie number and exercise. I will take another look at my protein amount. I always seem to go over my protein number I currently have, when I log (although I just started MFP yesterday). I guess I will up the protein, since I go over anyways. Do you think 1290 calories is reasonable?
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I understand the desire for quick weight loss that is easy as Keto often suggests. Having finally found what works for me and reaching goal weight I realize that Keto would never have been sustainable for me anyway. The biggest benefit to the 2 years it took me to get to goal weight was that I learned so much along the way. This is what enabled me to keep the weight off. Had I lost the weight on Keto I doubt I would have maintained it because I can't live that way for life. My experience was miserable both times I tried it. I got sick each time. I know people who have lost on Keto and are maintaining but they love the lifestyle so it works for them. I hated it. Find what works for you that you can live with the rest of your life. Good luck.

Honestly, I have been feeling so bad from day one. Two weeks exactly. I have zero energy and feel nauseated all the time. I know they say there is the Keto flu some get and you just have to push through it until it pasts and you get your energy back. Putting that aside. I feel as you do after thinking about it. My parents have even told me their opinons on this as well (they feel as you do). I know witout a doubt, I can't live like this long term, but it took me the two weeks in to realize that. I guess I just wanted to get the weight to my goal and then switch it up afterwards, all while monitoring from then on out. However I can't see myself dealing with the Keto plan for another year or so. I think just focusing on the heathy foods and portion control + exercise might be best for me. I hate eating all the fats Keto requires. I am kind of sick of it. Thanks!

Haven't seen it mentioned, but you'll want to be aware as you end keto that you will likely experience a water weight spike. Try not to be discouraged, because the actual *fat* you lost is still gone. It is not evidence that "carbs make you fat" ;)

Thanks for the heads up. I think I am now over losing the intial water weight and maybe some fat. I will try to not freak over any water weight coming back LoL. I will just wait for my body to stableize again.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    i would ditch the keto because i dont believe in fad diets.

with your stats you can eat way more than 1200 calories a day and still lose steadily.

im 5'1 and 41 years old and 1400 puts me right around a 1-2 pound a week loss with no exercise. 5 years ago at your weight, i lost a steady 2 pounds per week with exercise (on average 45 minutes 3-4 times per week) eating around 1600ish

Your numbers sound perfect and at least gives you some calories to work with. I may stay at 1290 for now, but in a another two week, up it and see if I continue to lose weight. KInd of experimenting, I guess. I exercise 6 days a week by walking 60 min (changed from 75 because I was too run down from the Keto). I am hoping I will continue to lose weight with my current cal number or even after I do up it later, after getting off Keto. I guess I am scared now for change, but know I have to quit Keto for my bad side effects I'm having. I can barley move because my enegy is almost non existent.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.
  • dmcforthewin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Rather than trying to get carbs then hope you don't exceed your carb budget, try to get fat and protein without carbs. That's the whole point of keto, isn't it?

When I went into the Keto diet, I actually was mainly searching for fats and proteins and some other foods, but I was having issues with it all taking me over the carb amounts. It's like everything has carbs. I think my carbs were set way too low and that was my whole issue wth thring to reach my calories for the day. By the time I was almost about 300 calories shy of my daily intake, I was over my carb amount, but then I had my carbs at 14g. I know, crazy. I tried adding more fats in the form of things then actual foods, but that was to help with the calories without upping the carbs. I just think the Keto thing is not for me right now. I have done decent in weight loss in the past. Just balanced meals, portion control and of course exercise and it did work for me for a while. Keto just sounded exciting at first, but how I am feeling with 20 carbs or less is killing me. I have almost no energy to get up off the sofa.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,931 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you’re on the right track with doing research, asking questions and trying to find the right sustainable approach for you. I recommend reading the stickied “most helpful forum posts” at the top of the getting started section of these forums they are a wealth of information (maybe someone not on the app could provide a link to a few of them - hint hint).

Then - go into MFP and enter your current stats, goal weight, goal rate of loss (for you 1.5-2 lbs/week should be reasonable). Once you have that, focus on logging consistently and accurately (ideally using a food scale). Eat a variety of foods focusing on those that provide satiety, nutrition and enjoyment. If eating lower carbs helps fill you up and suppress snack cravings, then by all means continue to do a lower carb approach but that could be anything up to 100g of carbs per day. When you exercise, log and eat back at least some of those calories.

Good luck!

Here are the stickies: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-health-fitness-and-diet-must-reads
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away. I'm basically going to add more as I watch my weight. I haven't added pounds, only have went down, which I know is a lot of water weight and some fat, I'm assuming (two weeks so far). Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week. I'm sorry I am just confusing myself and probably my rambling is you too. I also was a carb fean before going Keto and since I originally dropped to below 20, I have been feeling bad for two weeks now. I think upping it to maybe 48 or 50 will help some. I only just upped it to 48 last night, so haven't had a chance to see if it makes a difference.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    I’d recommend running your stars through MFP to set your calorie level correctly (and if you walk an hour+ a day you aren’t sedentary); then set your goal to 2lbs loss a week (with 80ish lbs to lose that is an ok rate)

I went back and looked over and made some changes to my carb levels. I changed it to 60 min, walking instead of 75 (for now) and I set my carbs at 48 (instead of 20 approx), fat 93, and protein 65. I don't want to go over 50 carbs. I am going to keep my calories at 1290 for now. That is what MPF gave me the other day, with my excercise amount and wanting to lose 2 ilb a week. I just made some macro adjustments. I may end up changing the proteins and fat amounts around later, depending on how I do. Thanks for the advice.

Just as an FYI, the exercise estimates you put in during set up are NOT factored into your calorie goal. That’s why when you do exercise you are supposed to log and eat those calories back to maintain a NET intake of 1290 (or whatever MFP recommends).

That protein goal is still very low. Most people aim for 1 g/lb of lean body weight which for women is usually anywhere from 80-120 g/day.

I didn't realize that about the calorie number and exercise. I will take another look at my protein amount. I always seem to go over my protein number I currently have, when I log (although I just started MFP yesterday). I guess I will up the protein, since I go over anyways. Do you think 1290 calories is reasonable?

I think 1290 as a NET goal where you eat back exercise calories can be reasonable if you find that calorie level satiating and end up losing 2 lbs/week as desired (but not more than that) but I know you can eat more and still lose weight.

For what it’s with I’m 5’2 and lost ~30 lbs eating between 1600-1900 cals/day.

Protein numbers should be considered minimums, not maximums.

Are you using a food scale for logging?
    Have you read the stickies?

I haven't read the stickies yet. I have a food scale, but unfortanatly it is buried in my storage. I may just order one on Amazon. I was thinking about the minimum and maximum thing. It really is a mental thing with me. I need to tell myself, I don't have to be to the exact on those macros. Thanks for sharing your success on your numbers. It helps me to think a little on my own.
  • dmcforthewin
    edited August 2019
    Options
    So I tried to make the logging of my foods and exercise public, but I'm not sure if I did it right. If it would be ok, can someone look to see if I did it correctly, so I know? Also, if you wouldn't mind can you take a look at todays food to let me know your thoughts. I only tracked Sunday and Today. I did not eat dinner Sunday. So sorry to be a pest. Thanks everyone!

Also. I know some of you mentioned my calories of 1290 were kind of low. I realized I never logged in any exercise. When I did, it bumped my daily calories to 1600 + after adding it. Do you think that number is more reasonable with my exercise and will I still lose weight?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Rather than trying to get carbs then hope you don't exceed your carb budget, try to get fat and protein without carbs. That's the whole point of keto, isn't it?

When I went into the Keto diet, I actually was mainly searching for fats and proteins and some other foods, but I was having issues with it all taking me over the carb amounts. It's like everything has carbs. I think my carbs were set way too low and that was my whole issue wth thring to reach my calories for the day. By the time I was almost about 300 calories shy of my daily intake, I was over my carb amount, but then I had my carbs at 14g. I know, crazy. I tried adding more fats in the form of things then actual foods, but that was to help with the calories without upping the carbs. I just think the Keto thing is not for me right now. I have done decent in weight loss in the past. Just balanced meals, portion control and of course exercise and it did work for me for a while. Keto just sounded exciting at first, but how I am feeling with 20 carbs or less is killing me. I have almost no energy to get up off the sofa.

When I started trying to do keto, and I've been dramatically unsuccessful at it, I knew that I needed to increase my salt intake during the first week. The book I had read, https://www.amazon.com/ANYWAY-YOU-CAN-Bosworth-BEGINNERS/dp/0999854232 recommended pink salt for the wide variety of minerals it delivers. The experience you describe of having no energy seems similar to the famous "keto flu" which is brought on by the loss of electrolytes as you release water through your kidneys from the burning of the glycogen stores in your body.
  • 4ceOfNature
    4ceOfNature Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did Whole30 a couple of times, which is similar to Keto but without restrictions on total calories. Each time, I would lose weight, but within a couple of months I’d put it all back on. Why? Because the diet is not sustainable for long-term. You have to find something that you can do for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. The simplest way is to eat mostly healthy foods (mix of protein, good fats, and complex carbs), and make sure calories in < calories out on a daily basis (allowing for some slips). For maintenance, the two should be equal.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I caught a disease that causes extreme carb sensitivities. I have been at Keto for just over 2 months. The other commenters are correct.

I get about or over 50 total carbs a day almost all in fruits and veggies, my net carbs usually come in under 25.

I shoot for around 1400-1700 calories. My daily goal limit is set at 1680, I don't stress if I go over by a few.

I don't stress over my macros, I try to hit near the percentages, but I don't freak out if they're off.

I see so many try keto and quit, I am truly changing my original opinions of keto (I started it thinking it was the greatest woe ever). Now, I just don't think it's sustainable for long term for majority of people.

I do think your calorie intake is way too low with that much exercise. Before starting keto myself, on every site I researched keto on, they say not to exercise while starting Keto. Keto already depletes electrolytes, exercise on top of keto, plus too low of calories is dangerous.

I gained weight with a really bad injury, lost almost 100 pounds after and maintained for almost 10 years. Lost tracking calories on mfp, eating what I wanted, using portion control. I never felt hungry or deprived. I did cut back on processed and fast foods (personal taste), started cooking more at home (making homemade lavash pizza instead of ordering out). I would still hit a bakery once a week for a doughnut, cupcake, or macaroon.

Eat what you enjoy, don't stress!
    Choose a practical calorie deficit that's doable, eat back some of your exercise calories.

Good luck!

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

When I started trying to do keto, and I've been dramatically unsuccessful at it, I knew that I needed to increase my salt intake during the first week. The book I had read, https://www.amazon.com/ANYWAY-YOU-CAN-Bosworth-BEGINNERS/dp/0999854232 recommended pink salt for the wide variety of minerals it delivers. The experience you describe of having no energy seems similar to the famous "keto flu" which is brought on by the loss of electrolytes as you release water through your kidneys from the burning of the glycogen stores in your body.

Nope. It can actually be harmful.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pink-himalayan-sea-salt-an-update/

Wow!
    By my count, only about a quarter of the minerals in Himalayan pink salt are nutrients that the human body can or might be able to use. The other three quarters are not recognized nutrients and would be better classified as contaminants. They have no known health benefits, and many of them are known to be harmful. The list includes many poisons like mercury, arsenic, lead, and thallium. It includes radioactive elements: radium, uranium, polonium, plutonium, and many others. Radiation causes cancer, and even tiny amounts are potentially harmful
  • dmcforthewin
    Options

I have been using the pink Himalayan salt and I am drinking electrolye water now over the reg waters. Today is the first day I actually feel much better. It was two weeks yesterday on Keto for me.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    I did Whole30 a couple of times, which is similar to Keto but without restrictions on total calories. Each time, I would lose weight, but within a couple of months I’d put it all back on. Why? Because the diet is not sustainable for long-term. You have to find something that you can do for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. The simplest way is to eat mostly healthy foods (mix of protein, good fats, and complex carbs), and make sure calories in < calories out on a daily basis (allowing for some slips). For maintenance, the two should be equal.

I am weighing on quitting Keto and just eating a well rounded balanced diet, without all the junk and processed food and maybe treating myself once in a while. That type of eating helped me in the past for a while. I honestly don't think the Keto will be something I can do for the rest of my life, but I think just focusing on all healthy foods with no specific amounts, might work for me again. I wanted to give this a try though.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Nope. It can actually be harmful.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pink-himalayan-sea-salt-an-update/

Wow!
    By my count, only about a quarter of the minerals in Himalayan pink salt are nutrients that the human body can or might be able to use. The other three quarters are not recognized nutrients and would be better classified as contaminants. They have no known health benefits, and many of them are known to be harmful. The list includes many poisons like mercury, arsenic, lead, and thallium. It includes radioactive elements: radium, uranium, polonium, plutonium, and many others. Radiation causes cancer, and even tiny amounts are potentially harmful

Well, I just started using the pink salt, but I may now scrap that idea. That sounds pretty bad. I feel like everytime you turn around something that someone proclaims is heathy, someone else says it isn't (professionals I mean). You never know what to believe. I don't like what's in that article, so I will probably switch to be on the safe side. T