Really frustrated - Please Help

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away. I'm basically going to add more as I watch my weight. I haven't added pounds, only have went down, which I know is a lot of water weight and some fat, I'm assuming (two weeks so far).

Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week. I'm sorry I am just confusing myself and probably my rambling is you too.

I also was a carb fean before going Keto and since I originally dropped to below 20, I have been feeling bad for two weeks now. I think upping it to maybe 48 or 50 will help some. I only just upped it to 48 last night, so haven't had a chance to see if it makes a difference.

You ARE confused about how MFP + exercise works, but this is common, so you are not confusing me :)

Please reread this, and if it doesn't help, let us know, and someone will come along and restate it or post a link to the video explanation.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    To expand on my earlier comment - this entry right here in guided setup is possibly responsible for a lot of confusion:

l2qqhy1jiwbm.gif

I could put that I intend to exercise every minute of every day and it still wouldn't change the calorie allowance it gave me, while the "activity level" choice does.
  • dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away.... Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week.

I cut some of your post to the parts that do need addressing.

Stick to your calorie goal and don't fret the macros. Carb paranoia is unhelpful. Carbs do not make you gain weight more than any other type of food. They just don't.

MFP cannot give you calories for walking for 60 mins in its base allowance unless you prelogged your exercise. The exercise goal it has you enter does NOTHING for your calorie total, I almost feel like they should take it out of the guided setup, it's like a wish or something. So if you have 1290 as your basic allowance for your correct lifestyle (ie. sedentary/lightly active/whatever) you should add calories on top of that if you walk for an hour. Your deficit is already in the 1290, you'd just be making it bigger in a not necessarily healthy way by walking and not adding those cals back to your total available to eat.

I just realized that about the exercise when I logged in my first exercise for the day at night, AFTER I ate for the day. I was about to close my food entry and it bumped me up to 1600+ from 1290 calories. Then I was like great. It's bed time and I still have at least 300 calories to eat before it will let me close for the day. I went and took out my exercise for that day.

To be honest with me personally, 1290 of calories really makes me full at each meal. At this point, I'm ok for now, but I may raise it in the future. I am going to see over the next few weeks if I keep a steady 1-2 lbs off and no more each week. I don't want to lose more then that.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Rather than trying to get carbs then hope you don't exceed your carb budget, try to get fat and protein without carbs. That's the whole point of keto, isn't it?

When I went into the Keto diet, I actually was mainly searching for fats and proteins and some other foods, but I was having issues with it all taking me over the carb amounts. It's like everything has carbs. I think my carbs were set way too low and that was my whole issue wth thring to reach my calories for the day. By the time I was almost about 300 calories shy of my daily intake, I was over my carb amount, but then I had my carbs at 14g. I know, crazy. I tried adding more fats in the form of things then actual foods, but that was to help with the calories without upping the carbs. I just think the Keto thing is not for me right now. I have done decent in weight loss in the past. Just balanced meals, portion control and of course exercise and it did work for me for a while. Keto just sounded exciting at first, but how I am feeling with 20 carbs or less is killing me. I have almost no energy to get up off the sofa.

When I started trying to do keto, and I've been dramatically unsuccessful at it, I knew that I needed to increase my salt intake during the first week. The book I had read, https://www.amazon.com/ANYWAY-YOU-CAN-Bosworth-BEGINNERS/dp/0999854232 recommended pink salt for the wide variety of minerals it delivers. The experience you describe of having no energy seems similar to the famous "keto flu" which is brought on by the loss of electrolytes as you release water through your kidneys from the burning of the glycogen stores in your body.

Nope. It can actually be harmful.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pink-himalayan-sea-salt-an-update/

Wow!
    By my count, only about a quarter of the minerals in Himalayan pink salt are nutrients that the human body can or might be able to use. The other three quarters are not recognized nutrients and would be better classified as contaminants. They have no known health benefits, and many of them are known to be harmful. The list includes many poisons like mercury, arsenic, lead, and thallium. It includes radioactive elements: radium, uranium, polonium, plutonium, and many others. Radiation causes cancer, and even tiny amounts are potentially harmful

Well, I just started using the pink salt, but I may now scrap that idea. That sounds pretty bad. I feel like everytime you turn around something that someone proclaims is heathy, someone else says it isn't (professionals I mean). You never know what to believe. I don't like what's in that article, so I will probably switch to be on the safe side. T

Wading through information can be challenging. Way too many people out there trying to make money, they unfortunately can look pretty legitimate. I like the sciencebasedmedicine site, and examine.com for supplements.

Thanks! I will take a look.
  • Serenity0429
    Serenity0429 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So keto didn't work out for me at all. Right now I'm just tracking everything and I've lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks (probably mostly water weight) but it's been super helpful and it's not restricting me as much. My goals are 1200 Calories, 120-150g of carbs, 40g of fat, and 45g of sugar. Cutting out fast food, unnecessary sugars like soda, and working out 5 times a week has been my key to success :) I hope you find a good path!
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away. I'm basically going to add more as I watch my weight. I haven't added pounds, only have went down, which I know is a lot of water weight and some fat, I'm assuming (two weeks so far).

Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week. I'm sorry I am just confusing myself and probably my rambling is you too.

I also was a carb fean before going Keto and since I originally dropped to below 20, I have been feeling bad for two weeks now. I think upping it to maybe 48 or 50 will help some. I only just upped it to 48 last night, so haven't had a chance to see if it makes a difference.

You ARE confused about how MFP + exercise works, but this is common, so you are not confusing me :)

Please reread this, and if it doesn't help, let us know, and someone will come along and restate it or post a link to the video explanation.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Maybe I need to experiment. The thing with me is that I am pretty content with the amount of foods I eat at 1290 calories and my strenght is coming back, but I may play around with how much exercise calories I eat back. Can I still use MFP in anyway doing that. It seems to set my calories higher automatically, after I add my exercise in. Last night I ate my max calories, then when I went to put in my exercise for the day, it raised my calories automatically in my food diary over 300 more. I was about to go to bed and I was done eating for the day. I was like, great so I deleted the exercise part, so I could close my food diary entry for the day.
  • Serenity0429
    Serenity0429 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe I need to experiment. The thing with me is that I am pretty content with the amount of foods I eat at 1290 calories and my strenght is coming back, but I may play around with how much exercise calories I eat back. Can I still use MFP in anyway doing that. It seems to set my calories higher automatically, after I add my exercise in. Last night I ate my max calories, then when I went to put in my exercise for the day, it raised my calories automatically in my food diary over 300 more. I was about to go to bed and I was done eating for the day. I was like, great so I deleted the exercise part, so I could close my food diary entry for the day.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure MFP readjusts your calories so that you're still eating your calorie intake even after burning those calories off. I typically don't go super over it, but it gives you that space to eat an extra few calories based off how much you burned.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    Maybe I need to experiment. The thing with me is that I am pretty content with the amount of foods I eat at 1290 calories and my strenght is coming back, but I may play around with how much exercise calories I eat back. Can I still use MFP in anyway doing that. It seems to set my calories higher automatically, after I add my exercise in. Last night I ate my max calories, then when I went to put in my exercise for the day, it raised my calories automatically in my food diary over 300 more. I was about to go to bed and I was done eating for the day. I was like, great so I deleted the exercise part, so I could close my food diary entry for the day.

I'm pretty sure MFP readjusts your calories so that you're still eating your calorie intake even after burning those calories off. I typically don't go super over it, but it gives you that space to eat an extra few calories based off how much you burned.
    [/quote]

Oh, ok.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    So keto didn't work out for me at all. Right now I'm just tracking everything and I've lost 4 lbs in 2 weeks (probably mostly water weight) but it's been super helpful and it's not restricting me as much. My goals are 1200 Calories, 120-150g of carbs, 40g of fat, and 45g of sugar. Cutting out fast food, unnecessary sugars like soda, and working out 5 times a week has been my key to success :) I hope you find a good path!

What you are doing sounds like a perfect mix. I am thinking about stopping Keto because I hate the restrictions and dealing with eliminating a lot of foods, even healthy ones because of the very low carb number they say to stay around. In the past I did exactly like you and lost weight 1-2 lbs a week. I don't know why I started with the Keto because I lost weight in the past several times, just like now, but I could eat a lot more carbs like brown rice, wheat pasta and even healthy cereals etc, which was nice. I guess there is so much hype, that I thought I would give it a try.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

Be mindful that if you choose to go off keto, your level of satiety on 1290 calories may change, as fat & protein tends to keep some people feeling quite full. It will probably take a while to figure out what ratio of carbs, fat, & protein works best for you, and you may end up really needing those exercise calories. It's no big deal if you don't use them on that particular day, and many people use them as a buffer for a treat later in the week. And BTW, closing your diary means nothing. It won't generate a post on your news feed, but it still tracks what you have done.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    try2again wrote: »

Be mindful that if you choose to go off keto, your level of satiety on 1290 calories may change, as fat & protein tends to keep some people feeling quite full. It will probably take a while to figure out what ratio of carbs, fat, & protein works best for you, and you may end up really needing those exercise calories. It's no big deal if you don't use them on that particular day, and many people use them as a buffer for a treat later in the week. And BTW, closing your diary means nothing. It won't generate a post on your news feed, but it still tracks what you have done.

If I keep my carbs at 50, will I still be considered Keto? I can handle 50 and the rest higher fats and lower proteins in some amount. I was doing under 20 carbs. I hear conflicting news on carb amounts. I thought I heard a doctor on You-Tube say, when you start Keto, do no more then 20 carbs or less. After your body has switched over, do no more then 50. Somone on the Ketogenic forumn said they do 50 carbs and are losing weight. They said they are on Keto. What do you think?
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

If I keep my carbs at 50, will I still be considered Keto? I can handle 50 and the rest higher fats and lower proteins in some amount. I was doing under 20 carbs. I hear conflicting news on carb amounts. I thought I heard a doctor on You-Tube say, when you start Keto, do no more then 20 carbs or less. After your body has switched over, do no more then 50. Somone on the Ketogenic forumn said they do 50 carbs and are losing weight. They said they are on Keto. What do you think?

I will defer to others with more knowledge about keto, but several comments on this thread have indicated that 50 g of carbs is generally acceptable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,926 Member
    Options

Yes, 50 g carbs is still keto-level carbs. You may have misunderstood the doctor on youtube, or he may not have been a good source of information.

For example, Mehmet Oz has a "Dr." in front of his name, and he is not a credible source of information.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Yes, 50 g carbs is still keto-level carbs. You may have misunderstood the doctor on youtube, or he may not have been a good source of information.

For example, Mehmet Oz has a "Dr." in front of his name, and he is not a credible source of information.

Or it might be a disgraced Chiropractor that uses "Dr" without explaining he isn't a medical Doctor ("Dr" Eric Berg). https://www.casewatch.net/board/chiro/berg.shtml

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I will defer to others with more knowledge about keto, but several comments on this thread have indicated that 50 g of carbs is generally acceptable.

And that it doesn't really matter for anything anyway.

OP, sure, there are people who lost weight doing keto, doctors even. There are people who lost weight going vegan. There are people who lost weight calorie counting. There are people who lost weight eating "clean". There are people who lost weight just increasing exercise. You will find different people saying different carb levels are "correct" or "best" or make a certain diet keto or not, because they ALL can work. They all lost weight because they were in a calorie deficit, they found success with a diet that made it easiest for them to hit there calorie goal. That is literally all that really matters.

This^^ In the absence of a diagnosed health condition, these rules become silly about exactly home much of this or that one should eat. It doesn't matter!! Find a way of eating that is sustainable and stay in a calorie deficit. End of story!