1235»

Replies

• dmcforthewin
    dmcforthewin Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away. I'm basically going to add more as I watch my weight. I haven't added pounds, only have went down, which I know is a lot of water weight and some fat, I'm assuming (two weeks so far).

Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week. I'm sorry I am just confusing myself and probably my rambling is you too.

I also was a carb fean before going Keto and since I originally dropped to below 20, I have been feeling bad for two weeks now. I think upping it to maybe 48 or 50 will help some. I only just upped it to 48 last night, so haven't had a chance to see if it makes a difference.

You ARE confused about how MFP + exercise works, but this is common, so you are not confusing me :)

Please reread this, and if it doesn't help, let us know, and someone will come along and restate it or post a link to the video explanation.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Unlike other sites which use TDEE calculators, MFP uses the NEAT method (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis), and as such this system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. However, many consider the burns given by MFP to be inflated for them and only eat a percentage, such as 50%, back. Others, however, are able to lose weight while eating 100% of their exercise calories.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Maybe I need to experiment. The thing with me is that I am pretty content with the amount of foods I eat at 1290 calories and my strenght is coming back, but I may play around with how much exercise calories I eat back. Can I still use MFP in anyway doing that. It seems to set my calories higher automatically, after I add my exercise in. Last night I ate my max calories, then when I went to put in my exercise for the day, it raised my calories automatically in my food diary over 300 more. I was about to go to bed and I was done eating for the day. I was like, great so I deleted the exercise part, so I could close my food diary entry for the day.

Have you read the post linked in the response that you were responding to? It explains exactly what you are speculating about. Since you seem reluctant to go through the threads that have been linked here, which answer almost all of your questions, I've copied the text of that post regarding exercise calories here for you:

This is a pretty big debate that pops up continually on the main forums.

Should you, or should you not, eat back your exercise calories? The answer is: It depends.

Here are some background definitions before going into this:

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): The number of calories you burn at complete rest.
    EAT (Exercise Associated Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of training, or training expenditure.
    NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis): Caloric requirements of activity that is not planned exercise. Vacuuming, driving, brushing your teeth, for example.
    TEF/DIT (Thermic Effect of Feeding or Diet Induced Thermogenesis): Caloric expense of eating/digestion.
    TDEE: (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) = Sum of the above. BMR+EAT+NEAT+TEF

Exercise calories, as they are typically used in MFP specifically, is represented by EAT in the above definition. Whether or not you should eat your EAT (giggity) depends on what system or method you are using to calculate your intake needs.

If you are using most other online calculation tools to determine an intake estimate, that estimate is going to already include EAT as part of the suggested intake. For example, it will ask you an activity factor that includes an average of your exercise, and with this it increases your TDEE to account for the fact that you are exercising.

If you are using MFP to tell you how much to eat, that estimate is NOT going to include EAT as part of the intake estimate.

Myfitnesspal uses a caloric estimation tool that expects you to eat back calories burned during exercise.

Consequently, MFP will essentially give you a LOWER intake estimate than an external TDEE calculator would give you.

In other words:

You tell MFP: I'd like to lose 1lb/week.

MFP says: Hey, you should eat X calories every day to lose 1lb/week.

You then decide to exercise and you burn 400 calories.

MFP says: Hey you pecker, you said you wanted to lose 1lb/week. Now you need to eat X+400 because you told me you wanted to lose 1lb/week.

So based on this:

If you are using MFP to tell you how many calories to eat, you should probably be eating back some portion of your exercise calories.

If you are using an external calculator and then customizing your intake to match that, you should not be eating back your exercise calories.

So again - YES MFP automatically adds calories to your total expected intake when you enter in an exercise duration. This is because MFP is set off of NEAT calories which do NOT include exercise estimates when calculating a target.

You may be fine now eating 1290 but that could change, especially if you adjust the macros you are focusing on. Not to mention that relying on hunger cues is not always a great indicator of whether a person needs more calories to support their activity.

And please, one more time, I implore you to go through and read the stickied posts here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Thanks so much for all your great feedback. I apologize for not getting back to some of my most recent posts. I had a death in the family, so I was away for a while with my family and was not able to dedicate much time to getting on my lap top. I have been rethinking what I have been doing with my Keto exercise and numbers lately. Everything you said does makes sense and helps with my Keto issues.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    if you go to keto boards, you'll see people who swear keto is the best and most effective. if you go to paleo boards, you'll find people who swear that paleo is the most effective. vegetarian boards? people there say that going veggie is the most effective. go to weight watcher boards and the people there say weight watcher is the most effective.

if you lose weight as fast as you're trying to with such lower calories, you will burn muscle, not just fat, leaving you weaker than you were and possibly unhealthy.

I apologize, I may not have seen your post until now. I do feel so weak right now. I am actually going off Keto because I can't handle the low carb thing. I agree with your thoughts on everyone having the same opinion on their chosen weight loss diet choice.

What are you changing your carbs to? You said 48 on the previous page, but that is still keto-level low carbs.

I'm not trying to convince you to stay on keto, but if you haven't been eating back your exercise calories, you've been drastically undereating, and that would play a large role in why you don't feel well.

I did change to 48 carbs. I guess I am paranoid to add too much carbs right away. I'm basically going to add more as I watch my weight. I haven't added pounds, only have went down, which I know is a lot of water weight and some fat, I'm assuming (two weeks so far).

Wouldn't eating back my calories burned through exercise defeat the purpose of a calorie deficit. I may not fully understanding probably. MFP gave me a 1290 calorie, walking 6 days 60 min and losing 2 lbs a week. I'm sorry I am just confusing myself and probably my rambling is you too.

I also was a carb fean before going Keto and since I originally dropped to below 20, I have been feeling bad for two weeks now. I think upping it to maybe 48 or 50 will help some. I only just upped it to 48 last night, so haven't had a chance to see if it makes a difference.

You ARE confused about how MFP + exercise works, but this is common, so you are not confusing me :)

Please reread this, and if it doesn't help, let us know, and someone will come along and restate it or post a link to the video explanation.

If you use MFP to set your calorie goal, exercise, but don't eat back any exercise calories, you are not using MFP the way it was designed.

Maybe I need to experiment. The thing with me is that I am pretty content with the amount of foods I eat at 1290 calories and my strenght is coming back, but I may play around with how much exercise calories I eat back. Can I still use MFP in anyway doing that. It seems to set my calories higher automatically, after I add my exercise in. Last night I ate my max calories, then when I went to put in my exercise for the day, it raised my calories automatically in my food diary over 300 more. I was about to go to bed and I was done eating for the day. I was like, great so I deleted the exercise part, so I could close my food diary entry for the day.

Be mindful that if you choose to go off keto, your level of satiety on 1290 calories may change, as fat & protein tends to keep some people feeling quite full. It will probably take a while to figure out what ratio of carbs, fat, & protein works best for you, and you may end up really needing those exercise calories. It's no big deal if you don't use them on that particular day, and many people use them as a buffer for a treat later in the week. And BTW, closing your diary means nothing. It won't generate a post on your news feed, but it still tracks what you have done.

If I keep my carbs at 50, will I still be considered Keto? I can handle 50 and the rest higher fats and lower proteins in some amount. I was doing under 20 carbs. I hear conflicting news on carb amounts. I thought I heard a doctor on You-Tube say, when you start Keto, do no more then 20 carbs or less. After your body has switched over, do no more then 50. Somone on the Ketogenic forumn said they do 50 carbs and are losing weight. They said they are on Keto. What do you think?

I will defer to others with more knowledge about keto, but several comments on this thread have indicated that 50 g of carbs is generally acceptable.

And that it doesn't really matter for anything anyway.

OP, sure, there are people who lost weight doing keto, doctors even. There are people who lost weight going vegan. There are people who lost weight calorie counting. There are people who lost weight eating "clean". There are people who lost weight just increasing exercise. You will find different people saying different carb levels are "correct" or "best" or make a certain diet keto or not, because they ALL can work. They all lost weight because they were in a calorie deficit, they found success with a diet that made it easiest for them to hit there calorie goal. That is literally all that really matters.

I do agree with your post.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options

Be mindful that if you choose to go off keto, your level of satiety on 1290 calories may change, as fat & protein tends to keep some people feeling quite full. It will probably take a while to figure out what ratio of carbs, fat, & protein works best for you, and you may end up really needing those exercise calories. It's no big deal if you don't use them on that particular day, and many people use them as a buffer for a treat later in the week. And BTW, closing your diary means nothing. It won't generate a post on your news feed, but it still tracks what you have done.

If I keep my carbs at 50, will I still be considered Keto? I can handle 50 and the rest higher fats and lower proteins in some amount. I was doing under 20 carbs. I hear conflicting news on carb amounts. I thought I heard a doctor on You-Tube say, when you start Keto, do no more then 20 carbs or less. After your body has switched over, do no more then 50. Somone on the Ketogenic forumn said they do 50 carbs and are losing weight. They said they are on Keto. What do you think?

Yes, 50 g carbs is still keto-level carbs. You may have misunderstood the doctor on youtube, or he may not have been a good source of information.

For example, Mehmet Oz has a "Dr." in front of his name, and he is not a credible source of information.
    If I have the correct Dr. Oz on tv everyday, I have heard a lot about him so I don't actually watch him. I watched a Dr. Berg on many Youtube videos and he seems quite knowledgible from what I have been hearing about the Keto diet.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options

Yes, 50 g carbs is still keto-level carbs. You may have misunderstood the doctor on youtube, or he may not have been a good source of information.

For example, Mehmet Oz has a "Dr." in front of his name, and he is not a credible source of information.
    If I have the correct Dr. Oz on tv everyday, I have heard a lot about him so I don't actually watch him.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I thought you said you had decided not to focus on keto you didn’t think the restriction was good for you. So what does it matter?

Honestly, I keep going back and forth on what I want to do. I am just taking in all the different information people are sharing with me, as I try to figure it all out. I haven't been on Keto long, so to me it is still a learning thing for me, I guess.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    If this helps at all I’ll share my experience.

I started exercising regularly about 9 months ago. Lost 15 pounds. I started tracking calories in MFP a month ago have lost 5 pounds. I just checked my carb history...it’s all over the place for the last 30 days. I still lost 5 lbs in a month while not paying attention in the slightest to my macros and eating what I want within my calorie allowance (more or less)

In other words, I eat Chick-fil-A and Panara for breakfast most work mornings and the occasional pasta dinner and I’m losing weight. (Obviously not the healthiest diet in the world...but screw it, it works in my life). I really have no idea what I am doing and am not advocating my ‘diet’ to anyone. But if your goal is to lose pounds I am a damn fine example of the fact that macros don’t matter all that much and overall calorie intake does.

Thanks. I have been on the Keto for almost 3 weeks. I thought I may go off of it because I just couldn't figure out how and what to eat, so I would have a little bit of variety and not take in too many carbs. However the past couple days, it has been getting better, as I have been looking up different food options and experimenting. I'm getting there though.
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    You’re trying to follow 2 diets at once. Low calorie AND Keto. They are different. Just choose one and stick to it for a couple of weeks and assess your progress.

You DONT calorie count on Keto because it is impossible as you are experiencing! Yup just restrict carb intake. That’s it. You eat about 40-50g carb a day. Everything else you eat is fat and protein. Irregardless of the calories.

We don’t use ‘net carbs’ in the UK so not sure re this
  • Iwanttobetheoldme
    Options
    You’re trying to follow 2 diets at once. Low calorie AND Keto. They are different. Just choose one and stick to it for a couple of weeks and assess your progress.

You DONT calorie count on Keto because it is impossible as you are experiencing! Yup just restrict carb intake. That’s it. You eat about 40-50g carb a day. Everything else you eat is fat and protein. Irregardless of the calories.

There is absolutely nothing "impossible" about calorie-counting while following a keto WOE. The two are not remotely mutually exclusive. Lots of people on here do both.

Just my opinion. I found it impossible and seems OP is too. Its probably a lot easier for those who have bigger cal allowance. I think very hard on a 1200 per day and such low carb too.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Why would it be impossible to calorie count on keto? You just weigh your portions and log it like any other food.

Everyone loses weight by being in a calorie deficit. Some people find keto naturally inhibits their appetite so they end up in a deficit without actually counting the calories.

I would say many of the ketoers here watch their calories too, and we see threads all the time where they discover they are actually under eating because they're full.

It's difficult to do 1200 calories on any diet! Luckily the vast majority of women don't need to eat that low.
  • lady_bug_jd
    lady_bug_jd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I did Keto for a little over a year and am sharing how I approached starting the diet. From reading your posts I’m not sure you actually did the diet correctly.

When I started I did not count calories at all for the first few weeks. I wanted to give myself time to adjust and then afterwards I set a calorie limit and started looking at macros.

I started with 20 NET carbs (Total carbs minus fibre) - This was usually around 40 total carbs per day and generally the lowest amount recommended. This is a basic number that most people will go into ketosis. After a few months I began increasing my carbs a little at a time while checking that I was still in ketosis. There’s no magic low number of carbs you have to remain at - find the highest number of carbs you can eat and remain in ketosis.

When I began restricting calories, I still never went below 20 NET carbs.

I also greatly increased my sodium intake at the beginning. “They say” you lose much more sodium, potassium and magnesium on this diet and this can contribute to the Keto flu (headaches, fatigue, leg cramps).

I will say, i did lose weight eating Keto but no more than on other diets I’ve tried. I now am eating a well-rounded whole foods reduced calorie diet. I am 5’4 and weight 206lbs. I’m eating an average of 1500 calories per day, and 170-200 carbs per day, and walk or exercise about 30 min. most days and lost 4.4lbs in August. Most diets will work, it’s just finding one you can stick to long term.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options

I didn't really think of it that way. I am trying to count too many things with what I am doing.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options

There is absolutely nothing "impossible" about calorie-counting while following a keto WOE. The two are not remotely mutually exclusive. Lots of people on here do both.

I seem to be getting better at watching my calorie intake and at the same time carbs, although I did mess up recently. Too many carbs. Probably just need a little time to get in a routine.
  • dmcforthewin
    Options
    I did Keto for a little over a year and am sharing how I approached starting the diet. From reading your posts I’m not sure you actually did the diet correctly.

When I started I did not count calories at all for the first few weeks. I wanted to give myself time to adjust and then afterwards I set a calorie limit and started looking at macros.

I started with 20 NET carbs (Total carbs minus fibre) - This was usually around 40 total carbs per day and generally the lowest amount recommended. This is a basic number that most people will go into ketosis. After a few months I began increasing my carbs a little at a time while checking that I was still in ketosis. There’s no magic low number of carbs you have to remain at - find the highest number of carbs you can eat and remain in ketosis.

When I began restricting calories, I still never went below 20 NET carbs.

I also greatly increased my sodium intake at the beginning. “They say” you lose much more sodium, potassium and magnesium on this diet and this can contribute to the Keto flu (headaches, fatigue, leg cramps).

I will say, i did lose weight eating Keto but no more than on other diets I’ve tried. I now am eating a well-rounded whole foods reduced calorie diet. I am 5’4 and weight 206lbs. I’m eating an average of 1500 calories per day, and 170-200 carbs per day, and walk or exercise about 30 min. most days and lost 4.4lbs in August. Most diets will work, it’s just finding one you can stick to long term.

When I started with my carb number, I never subtracted fiber counts first, so if the item was 8 carbs and 3 of that, were fiber, I would count it as 8 carbs total for that meal/item. I did eventually, after almost 3 weeks get over the Keto side effects. I started upping my salt and besides my food nutriton, I am now taking extra supplements of magnesium and potassium.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

No, they aren't different. What happens is following keto makes many people low cal even without counting. It's perfectly easy to count and do keto, I've done it. Everyone on any diet loses because of a calorie deficit.

Keto is typically about 50 g total carbs, more like 25 g or less net carbs, although I did 60 g total, 35 g net when I was doing it. That was high, but I'm very particular about getting in some nuts, lots of non starchy veg, etc. "Carbs" on packages in the UK (and the EU generally, maybe you will go back to total carbs like the US and Canada soon, who knows) are net carbs.