Any advice on creatine?

Hi, I'm wondering what everyone is taking for creatine. I'm very new to using supplements. I hear a lot of kidney and liver problems. Just looking for tips. I appreciate your time!

Andrew

Replies

• DM88ENT
    DM88ENT Posts: 31 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Creatine is one of the most tested and safest supplements out there for helping with hypertrophy. Some respond better than others. It makes a difference, for some, for greater training volume. For me, nada. Some others have had the same experience. Others have found it beneficial. FYI, if you are a responder, expect a 2 to 5 lb water weight gain. That is just how it works.

Thanks, why wasn't it working for you? And is it 2-5 lbs a month or just overall?
  • DM88ENT
    dodea48 wrote: »
    DM88ENT wrote: »
    Hi, I'm wondering what everyone is taking for creatine. I'm very new to using supplements. I hear a lot of kidney and liver problems. Just looking for tips. I appreciate your time!

Andrew

ask your doctor

I haven't been to the dr in 17 years .. 😅🤣😂
  • DM88ENT
    wiigelec wrote: »

Hey thanks for the share. This article recommends creatine monohyderate
    wiigelec wrote: »

Thanks for the share. This article is recommending creatine monohydrate, the girl at GNC sold me Creatine HCL ... would you return it and get monohydrate? She said it's pure and straight source.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    I’m sure she did
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member

Andrew

I notice no difference in using it .... apparently some people are none respondent though.... I'm only for stuff you might need ... go to the doc and ask for a blood test get the results and see what you actually NEED to supplement not what the internet tells you. I use magnesium bys and D3 that's it... nothing else because I don't need it (according to my blood tests) and it's just a waist of money. (no pre-workouts either HUGE waste of $$ - they all say it has XYZ and some of those XYZ's are beneficial .. however it's under dosed so there is no point)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    Creatine is one of the most tested and safest supplements out there for helping with hypertrophy. Some respond better than others. It makes a difference, for some, for greater training volume. For me, nada. Some others have had the same experience. Others have found it beneficial. FYI, if you are a responder, expect a 2 to 5 lb water weight gain. That is just how it works.

Thanks, why wasn't it working for you? And is it 2-5 lbs a month or just overall?

Overall. It's just water weight gain. Some people are just not responders and don't see any difference in either training or progression. The only way you know is to try but bear in mind, the difference is not huge, even in responders. The ability to get in another rep or 2. A little better recovery time. Remember, creatine is also contained in lots of protein rich foods and I eat a good diet. So, maybe it was just overkill and gave me no additional benefit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    You want micronized creatine monohydrate. Optimum nutrition is what I use and have for years as theirs is tested and creature.

Creatine hcl and all the others are a marketing gimmick. Going to gnc for supplement advise is a waste.

Everyone responds to creatine to some degreee but if you eat a lot of red meat you are already probably pretty saturated. You do not need to do a loading phase like some recommend. All you need is 3g a day or so. Once the muscles become saturated the 3g will keep them that way.

Be aware creatine does cause you to hold in more intracellular water in the muscle so up your water intake. You’re not going to gain a bunch of weight like some may tell you.

Maybe this is why I don't get an difference. Also, fish contains a lot. Especially salmon.
  • cerillo_encendido
    cerillo_encendido Posts: 74 Member
    @DM88ENT I agree with some of the users here. Creatine Monohydrate is the way to go. Optimum Nutrition sells some of the best kind. Its what i took for years and it helped me progress quickly in the gym. Only reason I’m not taking any right at this moment is because I’m in the middle of a cut. When i stopped taking creatine i instantly lost like 10 pounds. Yes, you do retain a lot of water, but the added strength and stamina are worth it in my opinion.

It may or may not work for you, but all i know is it worked for me. I guess i was extremely sensitive to it because i was lifting crazy amounts of weight. In some exercises I could lift more 5 years ago when i first started taking creatine than i can lift now. Say goodbye to any vascularity when taking creatine, as you’ll look kinda bloated. Will i get back on creatine? Hmmm maybe when i start bulking again. It’s one of the cheapest and most effective supplements you can buy. And FYI don’t ever buy anything from GNC, much less ask for advice there. There’s a bunch of articles as to why they are one of the worst places in the industry. (Buy from Bodybuilding.com) But that’s another topic. Last but not least, whatever amount of water you are currently taking, i can guarantee won’t be enough once you start taking creatine. You will dehydrate quickly if you don’t take care of yourself.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I use creatine mono. Not as consistently as it should be used (5g per day) because I keep the bag at work and take it before the gym but sometimes I forget.

What I do notice is that it gives me a bigger pump/veinz after the workout.

Other than that, don't know, can't tell any difference whatsoever. Possibly some water retention, but if so it's just making my muscles look fuller so I don't mind.

Re the kidneys thing, I dont think creatine is a contributor to kidney problems, however, since I have started eating more protein than before, my urea levels in my blood work have increased to be above the normal range. Not heaps above, but always a bit above. Dr said that it's normal in athletes.

If you have kidney problems though and your urea is high, then that is not a good thing.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Tried it twice, first time couldn't tell any difference at all.
    Second time it upset my stomach and gave no positive benefits at all.
    I might be a non-responder, I might simply get enough from my regular diet without supplementation.

But it's well studied, safe, inexpensive and helps a lot of people. Worth a try IMHO.
    Examine.com has a comprehensive write up on it which addresses your concerns.
    https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

I wouldn't bother with a loading phase as that's unnecessary - just a daily small dose at whatever time of day suits you, timing around exercise isn't required as it works by saturation.
  • RovP6
    RovP6 Posts: 108 Member
    Creapure is the stuff to go for. There's lots of evidence to suggest it's worth taking creatine and as others have said it's pretty inexpensive.
  • DM88ENT
    You want micronized creatine monohydrate. Optimum nutrition is what I use and have for years as theirs is tested and creature.

Creatine hcl and all the others are a marketing gimmick. Going to gnc for supplement advise is a waste.

Everyone responds to creatine to some degreee but if you eat a lot of red meat you are already probably pretty saturated. You do not need to do a loading phase like some recommend. All you need is 3g a day or so. Once the muscles become saturated the 3g will keep them that way.

Be aware creatine does cause you to hold in more intracellular water in the muscle so up your water intake. You’re not going to gain a bunch of weight like some may tell you.

Hey thanks.. ya I don't trust gnc reps.. they work on commission. I try to avoid following their advice as I feel they sell what's in their best interest
  • DM88ENT

Andrew

I notice no difference in using it .... apparently some people are none respondent though.... I'm only for stuff you might need ... go to the doc and ask for a blood test get the results and see what you actually NEED to supplement not what the internet tells you. I use magnesium bys and D3 that's it... nothing else because I don't need it (according to my blood tests) and it's just a waist of money. (no pre-workouts either HUGE waste of $$ - they all say it has XYZ and some of those XYZ's are beneficial .. however it's under dosed so there is no point)

Got it thanks. The dr it is :( lol
  • DM88ENT
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Creatine monohydrate is the gold standard.

It's cheap and the doctors who train I know recommend it for nearly everybody.

It basically will give you about seven extra seconds of lifting per set than if you didn't consume before your muscle fatigued. So approximately one rep per set of volume is beneficial when we compare total volume accumulated.

From what I recall about one third of people are extremely sensitive, about one third is average responders, and a third have no response. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe that was the break down.

As for your kidney/liver concerns. They did a long term study on college student a while back that showed no coloration of liver/kidney issues from taking it.

I personally take it and my kidneys are failing from other previous health issues prior The pros out weigh the cons for me though.

Current evidence says there is nothing to worry about.

Also there is no need to load it. Just take 5g a daily whenever is convenient if you chose to test out the possible benefits.

I will look into gold standard thanks. I see studies on monohyderate, nothing on HCL.. I guess I'll be taking this HCL back.
  • DM88ENT
    @DM88ENT I agree with some of the users here. Creatine Monohydrate is the way to go. Optimum Nutrition sells some of the best kind. Its what i took for years and it helped me progress quickly in the gym. Only reason I’m not taking any right at this moment is because I’m in the middle of a cut. When i stopped taking creatine i instantly lost like 10 pounds. Yes, you do retain a lot of water, but the added strength and stamina are worth it in my opinion.

It may or may not work for you, but all i know is it worked for me. I guess i was extremely sensitive to it because i was lifting crazy amounts of weight. In some exercises I could lift more 5 years ago when i first started taking creatine than i can lift now. Say goodbye to any vascularity when taking creatine, as you’ll look kinda bloated. Will i get back on creatine? Hmmm maybe when i start bulking again. It’s one of the cheapest and most effective supplements you can buy. And FYI don’t ever buy anything from GNC, much less ask for advice there. There’s a bunch of articles as to why they are one of the worst places in the industry. (Buy from Bodybuilding.com) But that’s another topic. Last but not least, whatever amount of water you are currently taking, i can guarantee won’t be enough once you start taking creatine. You will dehydrate quickly if you don’t take care of yourself.

I'll check out that website.. I am in the process of bulking so it may be a good alternative for me at the moment until I go back to maintenance.

For the water thing, that was my main concern as I dont drink much water through out the day. I drink a little under a gallon when working out.. and on my rest days maybe about half a gallon..
    how much water were you drinking when you were on it.. and do you recommend water intake the same on rest days?