Weddings and Weight Loss

Options
Hi, everyone, :heart:

I just joined and I noticed that there are a LOT of people like me who are engaged and really want to lose weight for their upcoming weddings. I thought that we could all support each other and post our goals here. If there is any interest, we could also come up with challenges and such.. I'm open to ideas.. Even if this is just to vent about wedding planning stress! ;) If you've already lost weight and gotten married, we'd love to hear how you did it!

Like I said, I just joined.. and I don't even own a scale! lol but I am going to get one this week. I think I'm about 165 lbs. My goal is to be 140 lbs and my wedding is going to be in the fall of 2009. I already have my dress and it barely fits.. but I have to get it taken in anyways since I'm short. It would be nice to find out that it has to be taken in a lot when I go in for a fitting!!!

Can't wait to hear some of your stories!
Jess

Replies

• jammergirl99
    Options

I just joined and I noticed that there are a LOT of people like me who are engaged and really want to lose weight for their upcoming weddings. I thought that we could all support each other and post our goals here. If there is any interest, we could also come up with challenges and such.. I'm open to ideas.. Even if this is just to vent about wedding planning stress! ;) If you've already lost weight and gotten married, we'd love to hear how you did it!

Like I said, I just joined.. and I don't even own a scale! lol but I am going to get one this week. I think I'm about 165 lbs. My goal is to be 140 lbs and my wedding is going to be in the fall of 2009. I already have my dress and it barely fits.. but I have to get it taken in anyways since I'm short. It would be nice to find out that it has to be taken in a lot when I go in for a fitting!!!

Jess
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations on your wedding. I am not getting married and I'm doing another challenge on the site right now but I just wanted to say good job on giving yourself so much time to lose the weight. That is very smart of you.

:flowerforyou:

From another Jess
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Count me in... this sounds like a wonderful idea!
  • jammergirl99
    Options
    Hi, Bauekel,

When's your wedding? What's your weight loss goal?
    I am sure we can motivate each other. Just think how beautiful we'll be on our wedding days! ;)

Jess
  • jammergirl99
    Options

I realized that there are also a lot of people here that want to lose weight to be in weddings too! So all you maids of honor, bridemaids, best men, and groomsmen get on board! We're all here to support each other! ;)

Jess
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    So I am the Maid of Honor for the 3rd time...and the dress...not so cute. So even though the wedding is only 9 days away, I am going to be super on track and do the best I can!
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I am getting married Nov 23, 2008 and need to lose 60 lbs! Count me in!
  • jammergirl99
    Options
    So I am the Maid of Honor for the 3rd time...and the dress...not so cute. So even though the wedding is only 9 days away, I am going to be super on track and do the best I can!

Oh no, what does the dress look like? Where's the wedding? Who's it for?
    We'll keep you on track!
  • delightedin
    Options
    HI girls, and congratulations on your engagements (if applicable!)

I'm getting married this August 16th, so don't have very long, but I think I have some realistic goals. I started at 164 lb and since I've started eating healthier (about 3 weeks) I've lost 4 pounds. My top healthy BMI is 155 and I'd love to get below that by May, I think I am on track for that!! Beyond that I'd love to get below 147 - preferably 140 by the time I get married.

We can do it!! We've got love on our side!!!! :love: :smooched: :heart: :wink: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • suevittorioso
    Options
    :laugh: how about "mother's of the bride/groom"? My son's getting married 06/28.His girl wants me to get a really fancy dress or suit.All I can say is YIKES!!!!! I 've been off the site for a few weeks now but ready to get back in the saddle. My goal is to lose 30lbs. Sounds like a lot but anything would be helpful.So far have lost 10lbs since 01/01. Not very consistent though.Just got Hip Hop abs-thought it might spice things up!:flowerforyou:
  • jammergirl99
    Options
    :laugh: how about "mother's of the bride/groom"? My son's getting married 06/28.His girl wants me to get a really fancy dress or suit.All I can say is YIKES!!!!! I 've been off the site for a few weeks now but ready to get back in the saddle. My goal is to lose 30lbs. Sounds like a lot but anything would be helpful.So far have lost 10lbs since 01/01. Not very consistent though.Just got Hip Hop abs-thought it might spice things up!:flowerforyou:

You are certainly welcome here! Congrats on your weight loss so far!
  • moidyn
    moidyn Posts: 112
    Options
    The dress is a collared 3 quarter sleeve wrap dress. In lavender. Scary. And I have to wear it twice, because pictures are on a Friday, and the ring ceremony is on Sat....geez louise.
    The wedding is in Florida (love the sunshine) for a friend from college.
  • kkurz
    kkurz Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm totally in too... My wedding is June 14th 2008! it's coming up... my office and i have been doing "biggest loser" competitions since last april... i've already dropped down 35 pounds... but i'm trying to get about 25 or more off.

I started at 205 pounds and currently am at 170... though i want to get to 140 - 145...

I'm currently stuck in a plateau as my doc put me on muscle relaxers for a neck spasm...
  • MScaduto
    Options
    I just uploaded my picture finally. I chose to put up a picture of the dress I have to wear for my girlfriends wedding in July....what do ya think?
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm totally in too... My wedding is June 14th 2008! it's coming up... my office and i have been doing "biggest loser" competitions since last april... i've already dropped down 35 pounds... but i'm trying to get about 25 or more off.

I started at 205 pounds and currently am at 170... though i want to get to 140 - 145...

I'm currently stuck in a plateau as my doc put me on muscle relaxers for a neck spasm...

I am getting married in nov and I want to be 140 also! I need to lose 60 lbs! I have lost 7 so far! Good luck!
  • mystery7707
    mystery7707 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I just thought that I would say I'm up for this as well. I'm standing up as a bridesmaid on April 18th, so that doesn't give me too much time but I'm going to see what I can do.

Currently, I've lost a few pounds, down about 7, and I'm hoping by the wedding to be down about 20 lbs overall, which I think is attainable.

As for the dress, the color is Marine from David's Bridal, the dress is a beautiful strapless gown with side rouching and a sparkly pin thing on the side, the dress goes to the floor. I've also turned the bride to this site and she's doing well also! Thanks for the support, and good luck to everyone!
  • His_Kelly
    Options
    Hi, Bauekel,

When's your wedding? What's your weight loss goal?
    I am sure we can motivate each other. Just think how beautiful we'll be on our wedding days! ;)

Jess

Hey Jess,

My wedding is December 27th of this year. I would like to weigh about 150 by then (about 60 lbs ! AHHH! )

I look forward to motivating and being motivated! :happy:

Kelly
  • hollyhobbes
    Options
    Hi y'all! Count me in:flowerforyou:
  • cp005e
    cp005e Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to all of you who are engaged!!! :happy: And kudos to those of you who are standing up with your friends for their weddings as well.

As someone who got married 2.5 years ago, I just want to chime in on this thread. The wedding is a great motivator to "look" better - particularly for brides. But it's also good to think about it as "the first day of the rest of your life" - and what better way to start out than with a commitment to both each other and yourselves?

My mistake was definitely focusing too much on losing the weight "for" the wedding, and not considering the lifestyle changes that I really should have been making. We planned our wedding in just 3 months, and also bought our first house at the same time. By the time we moved (a few weeks after the wedding), I was so relieved to be past the high stress of the last few months that I just ate whatever I wanted and didn't exercise (I also have had knee problems that make it easier for me to have an "excuse" not to exercise). It only took me 2 years to pack on about 50 pounds! :embarassed:

My husband loves me no matter how I "look" - and now I'm glad that I'm thinking about the long-term goals of better health and a happier life. I have started making the changes in my eating habits and activity levels that I hope will last me a lifetime! Of course, having a particular goal or deadline is a great motivator (for me, it's my 30th birthday coming up). I just know now that it doesn't stop there. :wink:

Good luck and best wishes to all of you! :flowerforyou:
  • kmccleery04
    Options
    Congrats on getting married!!!:bigsmile: I have not even picked out my dress yet!!! YIKES!!! I'm getting married Sept 6, 2008 :love: I just joined today, but I'm sure we will see a lot more posts!!! Just remember we are always going to look back at those pictures. I just want to make sure I can look back and smile~