Shortage of Broccoli!

Options

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Good news - the Co-op had broccoli from Cornwall in this morning. (but still no cauli)

I'm doing nothing about Brexit - I can't bear to read about it and I try not to think about it. There's nothing us ordinary folk can do about it and I won't stockpile anything other than my usual supply of tins and frozen food.

Perhaps I'll also starve to death -like @BarbaraHelen2013 ? :/

Help me understand this. Does this mean that importing goods that the UK doesn’t produce will be cut off entirely? Seriously doubtful. Temporary shortages? Possibly and probably likely. Price increases? Most assuredly. Temporary inconveniences that will improve.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Help me understand this. Does this mean that importing goods that the UK doesn’t produce will be cut off entirely? Seriously doubtful. Temporary shortages? Possibly and probably likely. Price increases? Most assuredly.

because of our governments inability to sort out a deal if we leave without an agreement in place there will be disruption between our border and the EU. No-one knows exactly to what extent yet. It may be that fresh produce is disrupted to the point it is past it's best when it reaches the shelves.
    One thing that has been overlooked by many is that our existing trade agreements outside of the EU are mostly based on us being part OF the EU, therefore will need re-negotiation. This may mean we have to temporarily use the WTO agreements and tariffs. This is not generally a good thing.

Frankly, I normally buy most of my stuff from local farms already. I just guess I'll have to be up pretty early to get what I want once other people figure out where to get their food from.

• Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    My favorite seasonally, are eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, bellpeppers, tomatoes - made a wonderful ratatouilles. Also root veggies roasted, fennel, turnips, parsnips, beets, onions- make once a week, save both dishes in refrigerator and eat for lunch and breakfast with choice of protein.
  • missysippy930
    Options
    Help me understand this. Does this mean that importing goods that the UK doesn’t produce will be cut off entirely? Seriously doubtful. Temporary shortages? Possibly and probably likely. Price increases? Most assuredly.

because of our governments inability to sort out a deal if we leave without an agreement in place there will be disruption between our border and the EU. No-one knows exactly to what extent yet. It may be that fresh produce is disrupted to the point it is past it's best when it reaches the shelves.
    One thing that has been overlooked by many is that our existing trade agreements outside of the EU are mostly based on us being part OF the EU, therefore will need re-negotiation. This may mean we have to temporarily use the WTO agreements and tariffs. This is not generally a good thing.

Frankly, I normally buy most of my stuff from local farms already. I just guess I'll have to be up pretty early to get what I want once other people figure out where to get their food from.

It was voted in by the the citizens to leave the EU, correct? It’s been delayed from starting. Negotiations have been underway for quite a while. Of course there will be disruptions and delays, but the rest of the world won’t let you starve. Inconveniences, most assuredly. But it will get better. There will be a learning curve.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Negotiations have been underway for quite a while.
    Yes. The details of these are not what makes news however, just the scaremongering.
    Of course there will be disruptions and delays, but the rest of the world won’t let you starve.
    At a cost... yes, most of us will cope even if the prices go up and the "thing" you want isn't available this week.
    Inconveniences, most assuredly. But it will get better. There will be a learning curve.
    The majority of kneejerk reaction is due to uncertainty. The panickers will continue to panic.

Edit to add: Voted for by a slim majority. In real terms there is an almost 50/50 split over this across the nation.
    I think many Americans can sympathize with you there.

I hope any food or (especially as I have read is possible) medical shortages are short-lived and the fallout isn't as bad as the Doomsday prophets would have you believe. We live in a modern, global society. No developed country can be an island (even though you are, literally, an island ;) )

Yes, I'd be most concerned about possible medication shortages. As we have seen from this thread, one can pick other veggies.

I'd hoard loo roll as well.

Who all thinks the Oct 31 deadline is going to be the actual deadline for reals this time?
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    I’m still hoping that common sense will prevail and the deadline will be extended to at least 2070 because I’ll be 109 then and very probably I’ll have reached a deadline of my own! 😂

Btw...do we not make loo roll in this country? Pretty sure we do! Hence no need to hoard it, surely?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I’m still hoping that common sense will prevail and the deadline will be extended to at least 2070 because I’ll be 109 then and very probably I’ll have reached a deadline of my own! 😂

Btw...do we not make loo roll in this country? Pretty sure we do! Hence no need to hoard it, surely?

I imagine the paper pulp is imported from Scandinavian pine forests. Just guessing.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    you-neverappreciate-what-you-haveuntifitsgone-toilet-paper-is-agoodexample-imgflip-11864521.png

ChuckTP.gif

2e8370549f6ab7c8d11aff6cd826a3c2.jpg
  • kshama2001
    edited August 2019
    Options

Per this article from last year, "The United Kingdom is Europe’s biggest importer of loo paper and it is said that only one day’s supply of toilet paper exists in stock. If Britain leaves the EU Customs Union and Single Market in five months’ time and the trucks transporting toilet paper are held up at Calais or Dover, British bottoms will have to be wiped with torn-up newspapers as in bygone days."

https://prospect.org/article/brexit-panic-brits-run-out-toilet-paper

More recently:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/21/uk-biggest-toilet-roll-supplier-wepa-stockpiling-no-deal-brexit-avoid-customs-delays

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/14/toilet-paper-shelves-empty-no-deal-brexit-causes-supply-delays-10572133/
  • missysippy930
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I would think it would be the same issue with news paper as toilet paper. Both paper products. All paper products availability would be questionable, wouldn’t they?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Try other veg instead: asparagus/ courgettes/ butternut squash/ aubergine / cabbage / swede/ peppers/ sweet potato etc etc....
    I hate frozen veg so for me it'll be about finding alternatives.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Try other veg instead: asparagus/ courgettes/ butternut squash/ aubergine / cabbage / swede/ peppers/ sweet potato etc etc....

Why the hate for frozen veggies?

because to me they just don't taste like fresh apart from peas or sweetcorn - I am very fussy about food though. My hubby is the same, he swears any frozen veg have a soapy taste.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited August 2019
    Options
    p.s haven't bought them in years mind you so I suppose the freezing process could have improved??

p.s nothing tastes as good as home grown veg either, am privileged in the past to have those (until hubby decided they were taking up too much of his fishing time).
  • missysippy930
    Options

because to me they just don't taste like fresh apart from peas or sweetcorn - I am very fussy about food though. My hubby is the same, he swears any frozen veg have a soapy taste.

I agree that fresh tastes better, even corn and peas frozen can’t touch fresh peas and corn on the cob IMHO. Frozen is distant second, but really necessary in colder climates where fresh isn’t readily available most of the year.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Commercial frozen peas and corn are staples in my freezer. However, I grow peas - peas freshly picked are AMAZING, as is perfect local corn. My sugar peas rarely make it into the house, and never into recipes - I eat them in the garden or add them to salads. When I eat them I say "Nature's candy" and my OH looks at me like I am nuts :lol:

Frozen peas are acceptable to me off season, but just not the same.

I like my veggies crunchy and most frozen veggies are too mushy for me.