Granola

Options
Im looking to start having granola, yogurt and berries for breakfast. I never bought granola before are these ingredients okay or should i look for another kind.

WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, GRANOLA CLUSTERS (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, SUGAR, CANOLA OIL, CRISP BROWN RICE (BROWN RICE, SEA SALT, BROWN RICE SYRUP), HONEY, CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT, SALT), SLICED ALMONDS, BARLEY MALT EXTRACT, VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), CALCIUM-D-PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), ZINC OXIDE)

Replies

• itsjessiewilliams
    itsjessiewilliams Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Okay for what?

Not sure. Just all the added stuff.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about the additives there are a lot of recipes online to make granola, and it's very straightforward.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Granola is pretty calorie dense.
    I usually add chia seeds (1/4 tsp), unsweetened coconut flakes (1 tbsp) chopped raw nuts (usually hazelnut s 1/2 tbsp) to my yogurt.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Granola is a huge calorie hit. If you decide to use it, I would highly suggest you weigh out the serving in grams.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

This. Granola basically = sugared fried oats. (Not really sure how it ever came to get so universally equated with being 'health food'). It's very, very, very calorie dense (great if you are backpacking up a mountain, not necessarily a great idea if you are sedentary and trying to lose weight).

Nothing wrong with the ingredients (other than the combo being a bit of a sugar and fat bomb with miniscule protein) - although that list looks more like a 'multi-grain' cereal with granola in it. But no ingredients that look inherently bad (as long as you are not celiac or diabetic). As someone else pointed out, the longer-named ingredients are all added vitamins.

Just check that the calories and macros will fit what you need, and that the serving size for those calories will work for you (it may be depressingly tiny). And you may want to weigh out the servings.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Those ingredients are not "additives". They are enriching the oatmeal with nutrients that were lost during processing. This is extremely common with grains that have been processed to make them more palatable and easier to chew, so that all you have to do is stick it in the microwave or on the stove for a few minutes. Otherwise, you would have to do all the work yourself to make it edible and not have the benefit of enrichment.
  • dr_amani_halim
    dr_amani_halim Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    What's the percentage of sugar?
    It's better to make granola at home and there is alot of different online recipes
    This is the one i used and it's delicious

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/vanilla-almond-granola/
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Im looking to start having granola, yogurt and berries for breakfast. I never bought granola before are these ingredients okay or should i look for another kind.

WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT, SUGAR, GRANOLA CLUSTERS (WHOLE GRAIN ROLLED OATS, SUGAR, CANOLA OIL, CRISP BROWN RICE (BROWN RICE, SEA SALT, BROWN RICE SYRUP), HONEY, CORN STARCH, VANILLA EXTRACT, SALT), SLICED ALMONDS, BARLEY MALT EXTRACT, VITAMINS AND MINERALS (NIACINAMIDE, THIAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), CALCIUM-D-PANTOTHENATE, FOLIC ACID, FERRIC ORTHOPHOSPHATE (IRON), ZINC OXIDE)

Though these ingredients aren't "red flags" my favorite brand lately is Wildway. Super simple ingredients and AMAZING flavors/texture.

z7blm95i56ry.png

I get it on Amazon: https://amzn.to/2MGv20M
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Though these ingredients aren't "red flags" my favorite brand lately is Wildway. Super simple ingredients and AMAZING flavors/texture.

z7blm95i56ry.png

That to me is trail mix, after I picked out all the oat clusters and ate them because they are the best part, not granola. :wink:
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

z7blm95i56ry.png

That to me is trail mix, after I picked out all the oat clusters and ate them because they are the best part, not granola. :wink:

To each their own. :)
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Granola is a huge calorie hit. If you decide to use it, I would highly suggest you weigh out the serving in grams.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1

This. Granola basically = sugared fried oats. (Not really sure how it ever came to get so universally equated with being 'health food'). It's very, very, very calorie dense (great if you are backpacking up a mountain, not necessarily a great idea if you are sedentary and trying to lose weight).

Nothing wrong with the ingredients (other than the combo being a bit of a sugar and fat bomb with miniscule protein) - although that list looks more like a 'multi-grain' cereal with granola in it. But no ingredients that look inherently bad (as long as you are not celiac or diabetic). As someone else pointed out, the longer-named ingredients are all added vitamins.

Just check that the calories and macros will fit what you need, and that the serving size for those calories will work for you (it may be depressingly tiny). And you may want to weigh out the servings.

"Sugar fried oats" :D True. My favorite "healthy" (lol) cereal growing up was cracklin' oat bran. Don't even bother to look at the ingredients/nutrition in those. Soooo good with half and half though!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

As others have said, granola packs a big calorie punch.

If I wanted a granola-type breakfast, I'd mix raw rolled oats into Greek yogurt and berries the night before and perhaps add a sprinkle of nuts in the AM.

Otherwise known as "overnight oats".

However, that's not enough protein for my breakfasts. If the same is true for you, you could add a half scoop of protein powder as well. Or just have eggs :lol:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

z7blm95i56ry.png

To me, "grain-free" granola is an oxymoron. It's like vegetable-free salad or fruit-free apple pie, only more so. (Because there is, after all, "tuna salad" and "mock apple pie," but granola without oats needs to get its own name.)
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I prefer to just toast my own rolled oats and and add them to my yoghurt with blue berries, flakes almonds and date syrup. That way I know the exact calories I’m getting.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

As others have said, granola packs a big calorie punch.

If I wanted a granola-type breakfast, I'd mix raw rolled oats into Greek yogurt and berries the night before and perhaps add a sprinkle of nuts in the AM.

Otherwise known as "overnight oats".

However, that's not enough protein for my breakfasts. If the same is true for you, you could add a half scoop of protein powder as well. Or just have eggs :lol:

I would just mix my oats, yogurt, berries, and nuts together in the morning and call it muesli (yeah, I know, more typically milk for the dairy ingredient), because all you young whippersnappers inventing new names for stuff people have been eating for years need to GET OFF OF MY LAWN!! (I'm looking at you, "bone broth"!)

I like the way the yogurt "cooks" the oats when mixed together ahead of time, but I'm with you re bone broth :lol:
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals but I personally would tend to avoid anything where the second-highest ingredient is sugar.