Green Check Marks By Foods?

Just curious about the green check marks by certain foods...what do they mean?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    As far as I understand the green ticks denote entries that have been verified by MFP so could theoretically be trusted to be more accurate than entries without the ✅
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Theoretically, they mean an entry has been verified by enough members that it is supposed to be accurate. But then something like a 10,000 calorie clove of garlic gets verified. Personally, I still check the nutritional information to make sure it's correct.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    It's verified by other users, not MFP. So it has a slightly higher chance of being correct, but not high enough that you don't have to double check it :smile:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    They can also be for items that have had recipe changes and the information that was once correct is now out-of-date.

You really have to verify as much as you can. In situations where that is not possible go for a green checked item if it is there and use common sense.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    As far as I understand the green ticks denote entries that have been verified by MFP so could theoretically be trusted to be more accurate than entries without the ✅

Actually not really. From the FAQ:

"When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a [check].

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time. "

So it just means whoever entered it filled out all the fields, not that its necessarily correct.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Terytha wrote: »

Actually not really. From the FAQ:

"When MyFitnessPal believes a food listing in its database has complete nutrition information it is marked with a [check].

We do our best to ensure the nutrition information for foods accurately reflects nutrition information from the product packaging. Many of the foods in our database are created by users, and occasionally food will be marked with a that has nutrition information inaccuracies. We are always working to improve the accuracy of nutrition information for foods, and new foods are being added all the time. "

So it just means whoever entered it filled out all the fields, not that its necessarily correct.

In my experience, just filling out all the fields won't result in a green check. At least some of my fully-complete entries were not given green checks. I think in practice others do need to confirm it, if it's a user-entered item.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    i saw a green check mark on an entry with 'a handful' as the amount. careful!
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It's verified by other users, not MFP. So it has a slightly higher chance of being correct, but not high enough that you don't have to double check it :smile:

When I see inaccurate entries, I try to flag them as inaccurate so hopefully they will get removed, or at least have the green check taken away. I've been logging on and off for something like 5 years so by now I have a pretty good idea whether something is accurate, so when I see something really weird I check it.
  • kmike570
    kmike570 Posts: 2 Member
    I’ve been wondering about the accuracy of green check items for a while. For instance, there are a quite a few green check entries for chicken that have it listed at about 100 kcal/100g. However, the official USDA database has roasted/cooked skinless chicken breast listed at 165 kcal/100 g. There are similar discrepancies for various beef and chicken entries as well where the green check items’ calories seem too low. Anyhow, definitely something to consider when a particular food entry is a core element in your diet.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    If a search for food yields a green tick result I'll tend to check that one first assuming that it is more likely to be accurate than the other entries but I don't take it as gospel and will still validate the entry before using it.