What's on your mind?

Options

Replies

• This_far
    This_far Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    This_far wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »
    Ever secretly want the collapse of society? We need a reset button.

I have romanticized that, yes. It’s a lot if the appeal in post-apocalyptic novels

the only thing i remember (i think at least) from Alas, Babylon was the scene where someone dies from absentmindedly wearing a ring that had become irradiated after the fallout

Into the Forest when the father dies because he was an idiot with a chainsaw...

I was very recently trying to explain the appeal of this genre to someone who was more fed on adventure quest stuff and it was difficult to put into words. We almost had different worldviews and I wonder which came first.

Post apocalyptic stories are always told from the survivors point of view while the overwhelming majority of people involved don't make it through the event. short stories like ' asteroid struck and I slowly suffocated on the ash and dust", " shot to death by Walmart employee while trying to liberate supplies" or " power went out and my neighbor skulled me with a brick to take my bug out camper" that should be a genre. Guess just apocalyptic

Because there’s no story there. And yeah, it’s definitely romanticizing. Like folks who think it’d be cool to live during the Renaissance. Maybe if you were ultra wealthy. MAYBE. But I really dig indoor plumbing

I didn't say they'd be good stories. Of course you are right, it is also one of my favorite genres of fiction. Silo, Hunger Games, Far North, love them all. I recently re read Day of the Triffids. Considered the first " comfortable" post apocalypse novel. Of course it's English, Alien sentient plant invasion, nothing a little spot of tea and high castle walls can't take care of.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    Helois3 wrote: »
    202h2dt30sj3.jpeg

9srzn1p61rd2.jpg

The difference between those two pieces of art.

The Charging Bull was crafted unsolicited and at the artist's expense ($360,000) in the aftermath of the Stock Market crash of 1987. The artist drove the sculpture to the New York Stock Exchange on a truck and illegally deposited it outside in 1989 as a Christmas gift to the people of New York. The bull was impounded by the NYPD but after public outcry was re-installed at its home ever since facing up Broadway at Whitehall Street.

The Fearless Girl was commissioned by wealth management firm SSGA as an advertisement for an index fund.

The Bull's artist saw this piece of corporate advertising and told the city to move it or he was coming to take the Bull back. She now stands in front of the NYSE advertising SSGA.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    SwannySez wrote: »
    cee134 wrote: »
    Helois3 wrote: »
    202h2dt30sj3.jpeg

9srzn1p61rd2.jpg

The difference between those two pieces of art.

The Charging Bull was crafted unsolicited and at the artist's expense ($360,000) in the aftermath of the Stock Market crash of 1987. The artist drove the sculpture to the New York Stock Exchange on a truck and illegally deposited it outside in 1989 as a Christmas gift to the people of New York. The bull was impounded by the NYPD but after public outcry was re-installed at its home ever since facing up Broadway at Whitehall Street.

The Fearless Girl was commissioned by wealth management firm SSGA as an advertisement for an index fund.

The Bull's artist saw this piece of corporate advertising and told the city to move it or he was coming to take the Bull back. She now stands in front of the NYSE advertising SSGA.
    I had no idea
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    That movie made me cry.. and I don't like that. It goes in the pile of "movies I will never watch again".
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    r3p6cfhrnctl.png
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    if bob ross and mr rogers were around today- five bucks someone would've already gotten them fired for their old tweets
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Thinking back to the time I posted that squat picture and people gave me hell for it so I deleted my account, was upset over it for a while but came back with a new name and now people like me lol

I liked you then. Then again, I don’t think I saw the picture. 😉

ETA: shall I call you moonsomething?
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Thinking back to the time I posted that squat picture and people gave me hell for it so I deleted my account, was upset over it for a while but came back with a new name and now people like me lol

Ahhhh ... They'd reported my progress squat pics on my profile page. You cannot control other peoples sensibilities.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    The chocolate chip cookies I froze yesterday to save for a later occasion. I'm thinking today is that later occasion. 😏

:)
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

I liked you then. Then again, I don’t think I saw the picture. 😉

ETA: shall I call you moonsomething?

I was callhermoonchild after the song from the movie Buffalo 66 :) it was literally just a picture of me dressed up for a girls night out, a gin in my hand and squatting in heels for a mirror selfie because I was too tall to fit in the whole mirror lol

Meh. *kitten* em. 😁
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    i cant do this anymore
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    jr7o2yh5dlgf.jpeg

I can’t stop thinking about this. Goals.

Yasss. Absolute goals.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    if bob ross and mr rogers were around today- five bucks someone would've already gotten them fired for their old tweets

That’s pretty funny....

True, but funny.