My net calories are too low

Options
LeiLaura
LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
I'm nervous about posting this because I know the answer is "simply" to eat more", but I do need some advice as I'm aware that eating too few calories is unhealthy at best and dangerous at worst. I can't even believe I'm asking this as up until a month ago I was bingeing with the best of them. But since I kicked my sugar habit and cut out wheat (I'm intolerant), I've found it progressively easier every week to stay within my calorie goal for the day (currently 1340 cals at 5'7.3" and 167lb, down from 178lb a month ago), especially since I introduced swimming. My meals and snacks are healthy, and I'm cooking proper dinners from scratch most of the time, though occasionally (like today) I'll eat my "big" meal (curry, stir fry, etc) at lunchtime and have something lighter (tonight was porridge with yoghurt, agave nectar and blueberries) in the evening. Now I've joined my local gym to use the pool, I'm swimming nearly every day and netting even fewer calories. The last few days I've been netting between 800 and 1100 calories (after exercise), and apart from a week ago when I reached 1600, for a week or so before that I e averaging 1100-1300. I know that it's not enough, but the thing is I just don't want to eat any more because nothing takes my fancy except sugary and carb-heavy stuff that I've cut out and am terrified to reintroduce even in moderation for fear of reigniting the addiction. It's like the less I eat, the less I want, and it goes against the grain to eat when I don't want to after all these weeks of struggling to eat less. I don't want to stop swimming because it's helping my mental wellbeing massively. Perhaps I should just eat a big dollop of protein-heavy Chia pudding or something like that whenever I'm under my calories at the end of the day, then at least my muscle is being taken care of. It makes me wonder how I'll get on in maintenance because I'll feel like I'm gorging myself on that many calories. God, if I'd read this post myself a few weeks ago, I would have been rolling my eyes at how anyone could struggle to reach their calorie intake, but here I am. Obviously, my relationship with food is not simple. I was bulemic as a teenager, and a binge eater most of my adulthood, and several foods - wheat, soy, egg, some dairy, alcohol - make me very ill with IBS, exacerbating my endometriosis to the point that I'm afraid to even try them again... I have felt so much better since eating clean the last month, and I don't want to rock the boat. I truly would appreciate advice or suggestions for non-addictive ways to stay at a healthy calorie level without going off the rails. What does everyone else snack on? No celery, please ;) Thank you in advance, I appreciate you reading.

Replies

• LeiLaura
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Fats will be your friend. At 9 calories per gram vs 4 for carbs and protein, it's an easy way to up your calories. An extra splash of oil in your cooking, nuts to snack on, avocado added to your salad and hey, presto! You've met your goal :smile: Just measure carefully to avoid going overboard.

Thank you, those are good ideas!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    More calorie dense foods...cook with good oils...eat nuts and seeds...avocados...peanut butter...full fat salad dressings...full fat dairy, etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Increasing fat was already covered, so I will ask you this instead:

I eat chia seeds, but they are a better source of carbs, fat, and fiber than protein. Are there other foods in your chia pudding that make this a good protein source?
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Increasing fat was already covered, so I will ask you this instead:

I eat chia seeds, but they are a better source of carbs, fat, and fiber than protein. Are there other foods in your chia pudding that make this a good protein source?

Not really, it's almond or oat milk, agave nectar, and blueberries.
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced you're all right about the fat. I've gone so "low-fat" that I've gone too far and lost too much out of my diet. Thanks for the wake up call!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you just try adding slightly more to the amounts you are eating

so instead of 6oz curry - have 8-10oz; are you having any kind of rice etc with your curry or stir-fry's
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    I'd cut out rice and replaced it with cauliflower rice or a sweet potato tortilla as a "chapati". I'm almost scared to eat that many carbs in one go now... But you're right, I probably should. Inspired by you helpful people, as my net calories were sitting at 1000 for today at 9.30pm, I just ate 2 slices of gluten-free toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a chopped banana on each, and that supper alone was a whopping 500 calories! So I'm now over my daily goal, not under it, but I figure I needed a bit of a "re-feed". Can't help feeling like I've undone all my careful dieting in one swoop, though! I like your ideas of adding the calories to make the fat-loading more spread out during the day. I think it'll feel less like a "binge". Still, 162 calories over goal isn't going to load up the scales, right?!
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    * I meant to say adding the extra fat to meals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 11 pounds in a month (roughly 2.75 pounds a week!) , starting from 178 pounds, you definitely need to fit in more calories: That's fast enough loss to be firmly on the risky side, IMO, even if some of it was start-up water weight.

Endorsing the nuts, seeds, avocados, oil, full-fat foods rather than reduced fat, calorie dense fruits or veggies, etc.

Please slow the process down a little, for best odds of continuing good health and high energy!
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Do you like peanut butter?
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If you've lost 11 pounds in a month (roughly 2.75 pounds a week!) , starting from 178 pounds, you definitely need to fit in more calories: That's fast enough loss to be firmly on the risky side, IMO, even if some of it was start-up water weight.

Endorsing the nuts, seeds, avocados, oil, full-fat foods rather than reduced fat, calorie dense fruits or veggies, etc.

Please slow the process down a little, for best odds of continuing good health and high energy!

Thanks, I agree! I'm a little startled myself about how fast it's been coming off, I had kinda assumed that weight loss wouldn't work for me!
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    yukfoo wrote: »
    Do you like peanut butter?

Yep.
  • Kuchiness
    Kuchiness Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Dried fruits are very calorie dense if you like them. You can add them in your porridge too, yummy
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Kuchiness wrote: »
    Dried fruits are very calorie dense if you like them. You can add them in your porridge too, yummy

You are my new hero
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Options
    You are in a good place recognising you need to make an adjustment, seeking advice and acting accordingly. Well done.
  • LeiLaura
    Options
    You are in a good place recognising you need to make an adjustment, seeking advice and acting accordingly. Well done.

Thank you! That's kind of you to say. I don't seem to be having that problem any more, but I'm keeping an eye on it!
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The wonderful thing about my fitness pal is that you can almost use it as a tool to help you adjust distorted eating habits. You know you are undereating and you know you are frightened of carbs. Trust in the process and increase your cals. I would make sure you are getting enough calcium iron protein and fat without obsessing tho...
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I think you recognizing you need to up your calorie intake and asking for help is very brave. As others have mentioned, adding more fats is a good place to start. Often it is the mental hurdle of increasing calories, but you sound like you are in a healthy mindset. Cheers to you!