Introducing myself to Keto

Options
I've been doing the Keto only a short time, 2 weeks almost. So this is wonderful to get some support. One thing I'm interested in asking is, if someone is in ketosis, does that mean that you are losing weight? Sorry. This might be a bit basic, but I'm curious.

Replies

• naomianne69
    naomianne69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's honest. I appreciate that. I find KETO easy to do, but I'm not losing much weight in the 2 weeks I've been on it.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Are you staying in your calorie limit? Two weeks isn’t long
  • naomianne69
    Options
    Yes, it's only been two weeks. I may continue on wards. I am weighing tomorrow, so will see. Thanks for the information.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose?

Are you weighing all of your foods? Whether you do keto, vegan or another way of eating, you have to stay in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • Hates2run
    Hates2run Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto 4 months. Feel free to add me. Recommend taking your measurements as you’ll likely lose inches but may not see the scale move at times.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hates2run wrote: »
    Been doing keto 4 months. Feel free to add me. Recommend taking your measurements as you’ll likely lose inches but may not see the scale move at times.

Agree, I take measurements and progress pics, I don't own scales.

Low Carber Daily Forum group and The Keto group are great places to join for support, advice, and foods.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Hi keto! What? No fruit? Bye keto! Lol. Seriously how it goes well for you.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I don't promote keto to others, I just don't think it's sustainable for most cutting breads, rice, grains, beans, legumes, and potatoes.

But the fruit thing is a misconception about keto. I've been on Keto for two months, I snack on fruit daily, I also eat veggies daily. Because a lot veggies and fruits have fiber, I get in plenty of fruits and veggies, subtract fiber, and still consume low net carbs.
  • naomianne69
    Options
    How great is it to have that fresh wind of honesty. I think that I should re evaluate the Keto diet, but so far I've actually been enjoying it. Perhaps now that I've joined, I will continue to track my foods/ fitness and get some weight off. Thanks. :)
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    indeed, peaches are incredible right now!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How great is it to have that fresh wind of honesty. I think that I should re evaluate the Keto diet, but so far I've actually been enjoying it. Perhaps now that I've joined, I will continue to track my foods/ fitness and get some weight off. Thanks. :)

Keep in mind, you can always cycle your diets. You can always run keto for a period of time and then slowly add carbs back.
  • naomianne69
    Options
    Yep. It all looks good. I may shift my focus off the Keto, but this might be to allow myself to have fruit for example. Thanks for the advice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I don't promote keto to others, I just don't think it's sustainable for most cutting breads, rice, grains, beans, legumes, and potatoes.

But the fruit thing is a misconception about keto. I've been on Keto for two months, I snack on fruit daily, I also eat veggies daily. Because a lot veggies and fruits have fiber, I get in plenty of fruits and veggies, subtract fiber, and still consume low net carbs.

You may be surprised by how differently some posters here define "plenty of fruits and veggies" and how their definition would not work for keto ;)

I realize berries are low carb, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to berries. I also like bananas, especially in my fruit and veggie smoothie (today's was 22 g net carbs and that was only half of a smallish banana, plus strawberries, kale, Swiss chard, etc.)

And it's peach season! Nom nom nom.
    I agree, but I also know the flip side is common too. I was chatting with a poster a while back who declared she "ate everything, in moderation". When we got to details she told me that the day before she had saved enough calories for 1/2 a cookie. One half a cookie on some days??? That's "everything in moderation"? It really is all about perspective. Sounds like you're doing what works for you! (I love fruit too)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

You may be surprised by how differently some posters here define "plenty of fruits and veggies" and how their definition would not work for keto ;)

I realize berries are low carb, but I wouldn't want to limit myself to berries. I also like bananas, especially in my fruit and veggie smoothie (today's was 22 g net carbs and that was only half of a smallish banana, plus strawberries, kale, Swiss chard, etc.)

I agree, but I also know the flip side is common too. I was chatting with a poster a while back who declared she "ate everything, in moderation". When we got to details she told me that the day before she had saved enough calories for 1/2 a cookie. One half a cookie on some days??? That's "everything in moderation"? It really is all about perspective. Sounds like you're doing what works for you! (I love fruit too)

Yeah 1/2 a cookie wouldn't be sustainable for me, either. :D

I leave approximately 200 calories for my evening snack. Sometimes I eat more than that, sometimes less, sometimes nothing at all. I do find that it averages out pretty well, though, over the long term.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Calories rule. There's no special advantage to keto. It's fine if you like the restrictions, hell if you don't. ;)

Edited to add: Our Ontario peaches are freaking amazing this year!

Mmmmm... peaches.....a ripe peach is one of my weaknesses!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options

I eat peaches, nectarines, plums, apples, tomatoes, avocados, cherries, I dislike bananas (just taste--got sick of as a kid). I eat fruit daily. I try to eat veggies with every meal.