Maintenance studies

Interesting studies that show hormonal shifts after a year of maintenance. Lines up with what many people say about it getting easier after a year.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26976129

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31042670

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,875 Member
    Oh & the article I found Re: my question above, recommended low fat to reduce hunger hormones. (Have you found that to be true?)
    @psychod787
  • MadisonMolly2017
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Oh & the article I found Re: my question above, recommended low fat to reduce hunger hormones. (Have you found that to be true?)
    @psychod787

Not sure actually. The "healthy" nordic diet is very similar to the Mediterranean diet style. It emphasizes whole grain,fruit, veggies, low fat dairy, nuts, seeds, lean meats, and avoid many hyperprocessed foods. The "paleo" diet, yes people, I know the one being sold is not a true paleolithic diet, but is high in fruits and veggies, nuts seeds and also avoid most hyperprocessed foods. I suspect SOME of the hunger hormone improvements are dietary related. We suspect that glp1 is made by bacteria digesting fiber. Ppy is released from eating protein. Not sure why the GIP was only elevated in the "paleo" diet group. I also think some of the adaptation is the body finding a new set range. I am not sure if low fat or high fat is helpful honestly.

@psychod787
    Thank you. There’s so much we don’t know yet!

I guess I eat “healthy Nordic.” Who knew?!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @rainbow198
    Your post was very helpful to me, too. I am in that figuring out stage. Interestingly, I am
    Finding earlier to bed is helping.

Did you see a pattern in which types of exercise made you hungrier? Any insights?

@psychod787
    Helpful again. I don’t follow a Famous Diet. Just figured out what worked for me & my life. But in the past 2 months, it stopped working as well. This coincided with lower heart rate for same exercise-

I’ll figure it out. It’s just a puzzle - a moving puzzle!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited September 2019
    @rainbow198
    Your post was very helpful to me, too. I am in that figuring out stage. Interestingly, I am

Did you see a pattern in which types of exercise made you hungrier? Any insights?

@psychod787
    Helpful again. I don’t follow a Famous Diet. Just figured out what worked for me & my life. But in the past 2 months, it stopped working as well. This coincided with lower heart rate for same exercise-

I’ll figure it out. It’s just a puzzle - a moving puzzle!

whats your story @MadisonMolly2017 ? How much have you lost? Starting weight? How long at that weight. As stated, I am a BELIEVER in a weight settle range. One can change it, but only to a point before we struggle. As far as a lowered HR its just a sign of fitness, or heart failure... sounds like the first one.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @psychod787
    Starting weight 228.3 on 1/1/16
    Hit 155 on Thanksgiving 2018
    Declared Maintenance 153 on 4/25/19
    -75.3 pounds
    Lowest weight 150.6 1/21/19 (was too hungry...)

5’8.5”-5’9”
    63years

Yep, definitely fitness.

Weight 9/1/19 157.2
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    @psychod787
    -75.3 pounds

5’8.5”-5’9”
    63years

Yep, definitely fitness.

Weight 9/1/19 157.2
    @psychod787
    -75.3 pounds

5’8.5”-5’9”
    63years

Yep, definitely fitness.

Weight 9/1/19 157.2

I think some regain IS natural. The more we lose, the greater the amount. As a percentage, about the same.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    @rainbow198

@MadisonMolly2017 - That's great! For me walking, bodyweight exercises, using resistance bands, Pilates and yoga does not make me hungry at all. So I can do these activities in the morning fasted or at night without any hunger problems afterwards.

Running, lifting weights, aerobics, HIIT and plyometrics makes me super hungry so I make sure to do these workouts before having a meal.
    psychod787 wrote: »

True, all we hear in the media is DOOM and GLOOM! Sure you know my story, not going into it here, but I now believe that a newer set range can be achieved with a change in environment. IE food choices, exercise, sleep, stress. Best of luck @rainbow198 ! People like you give me hope!

@psychod787 - Yes I do remember reading your story, glad I can give you hope! :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    @rainbow198

@MadisonMolly2017 - That's great! For me walking, bodyweight exercises, using resistance bands, Pilates and yoga does not make me hungry at all. So I can do these activities in the morning fasted or at night without any hunger problems afterwards.

Running, lifting weights, aerobics, HIIT and plyometrics makes me super hungry so I make sure to do these workouts before having a meal.

This is really helpful. Now, looking at your lists & thinking of the past 5 months of small weight creep each month & after years of congruous loss. I just realized prior to April, I walked & hiked (a lot) & did stretches, resistance work, and very low wts for broken arm. My appetite was barely an issue (which I considered a miracle.)

Then began heavier weights, HIIT, and weight machines. And I noticed hunger showing up. (Which freaked me out.)

OK, I’m going to think about this. I am a lot stronger, but not as lean. My Doctor is thrilled w/ labs & weight/BMI. Told me to focus on health/strength.

Thanks again!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Glad to hear! Good luck with everything and keep up the great work! :)

rainbow198 wrote: »
    @rainbow198

This is really helpful. Now, looking at your lists & thinking of the past 5 months of small weight creep each month & after years of congruous loss. I just realized prior to April, I walked & hiked (a lot) & did stretches, resistance work, and very low wts for broken arm. My appetite was barely an issue (which I considered a miracle.)

Then began heavier weights, HIIT, and weight machines. And I noticed hunger showing up. (Which freaked me out.)

OK, I’m going to think about this. I am a lot stronger, but not as lean. My Doctor is thrilled w/ labs & weight/BMI. Told me to focus on health/strength.

Thanks again!