If you didn’t use all your calories up..?

Options
Can you save these calories up for the next day?
Say I had 300 still to go, could I use that for the next day?

Replies

• petrinaradford
    petrinaradford Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Awesome:) because of exercise I sometimes end up with not using all calories. But would be good to use them for the weekend.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, I try to bank ahead when I know I'm going for a meal out.
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    Ok thanks. I’m guessing when you say ‘banking calories’ this is an option on the app? I’m using web browser, so not sure how to do that.
    I could just write the left over calories down manually?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    On the app you can view your calories by week and see how much you have left
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I also would carry my calories over. Banking some calories for the weekend or for an event helps me a lot too.

I look at my calories on a weekly basis, so I don't force myself to eat when I'm not hungry or on those hungry days it's okay if I go over a bit.

It all balances out at the end of the week and I still lost weight when I was losing and I maintain my weight currently.
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    Ok thanks a lot. Once I get the app I’ll do that.
    For now I’ll just add the left over calories up by day.
    However I do get a message in red telling me that I’m suppose to use all calories up, when I’ve entered by daily entry. Anyone else get this?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks. I’m guessing when you say ‘banking calories’ this is an option on the app? I’m using web browser, so not sure how to do that.
    I could just write the left over calories down manually?

I use a spreadsheet.

The one important thing to remember about banking calories is that you have to set a limit to how many you allow yourself to bank. Energy management is part of weight loss and it is a trial and error process to figure yourself out. You may be fine banking 300 or you may find yourself more tired than normal or more hungry than normal. If this is the case you might set you limit to 150. You may also find that you are okay banking 300 one day but if you try to bank that many the day you will experience a problem.

I personally think it is worth the time and even the few "low" days to figure it out. Banking is a cornerstone of my ability to eat more food that I enjoy. I do not ever mind eating more "diet-y" for a few days of the week if it means I get a big pizza or something on the weekend. Others find they need a treat each day so it really depends on you and what keeps you the happiest.
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    Thanks NovusDies, this makes sense. So I guess I’ll see how it goes. I seem to get extra calories due to walking exercises. Also if I have meal replacement shakes (natures way Slim Right) because they are low calories, this also sometimes gives me more. But yeah I’ll have to see how my energy levels go too. Thanks again :)
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    * sorry the shakes don’t “give me more calories” I just mean they are low in calories, so it it takes less out of my daily 1200 calories limit.
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    * I don’t always use the shakes
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I don't bank calories but many members do. Good luck!
  • frksfrau
    frksfrau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting conversation. So when you all bank calories, does that include the calories gained from exercise? Or, just the original calories allowed?
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2019
    Options
    frksfrau wrote: »
    This is an interesting conversation. So when you all bank calories, does that include the calories gained from exercise? Or, just the original calories allowed?

If you think of it as a spending account all of your energy expenditures (living, non exercise activity, and exercise activity) make their deposits. You can view it however you want but it all comes from your daily account. When you bank you transfer a portion of calories to a temporary savings account.

I make it a rule to "cash out" whatever I have left by the end of day Sunday and start banking again on Monday. I think it is cleaner to have everything happen in a week. I know others do longer so it is just a matter of preference on how you want to manage it.

ETA: This is my normal system:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10735146/the-six-day-calorie-deficit-aka-banking-calories/p1
  • petrinaradford
    Options
    Just started to think maybe it’s not a good idea to bank exercise calories (use them for treats/wknds/outings etc) - because would this slow down weight loss?

Maybe only bank from the daily calories you have?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    Just started to think maybe it’s not a good idea to bank exercise calories (use them for treats/wknds/outings etc) - because would this slow down weight loss?

Didn't slow weight loss for me. I'm losing at a steady rate. You have to find the sweet spot where you're not under eating.
  • NovusDies
    edited September 2019
    Options

Read the thread I linked above. I have done this for well over a year and lost over 200 pounds at right around my logged deficit. I am one of the "spreadsheet people" here at MFP. I have detailed tracking on myself.

The only way it would slow down weight loss is if your exercise calories were inflated. This is why many people suggest only trusting about 50 percent of them until you have enough scale results to crunch your own numbers. This is about 2 months for women and about a month for men. If, at that time, you are losing too slow or too fast you will know if you need to make an adjustment.

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes and if you’re using the app you can look at your weekly totals and weekly remaining calories to help with that.

Many of us Bank calories intentionally or when we aren’t as hungry and then use them for planned indulgences on the weekend.

I’ve seen this said quite a few times around the forums, is it s premium only feature? I’ve looked everywhere and I’m not seeing the option. If it’s not restricted to premium would someone please point me in the right direction?

I’m curious more than anything because I don’t like to bank calories but I’d be interested from a data and trend perspective.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Yes and if you’re using the app you can look at your weekly totals and weekly remaining calories to help with that.

Many of us Bank calories intentionally or when we aren’t as hungry and then use them for planned indulgences on the weekend.

I’ve seen this said quite a few times around the forums, is it s premium only feature? I’ve looked everywhere and I’m not seeing the option. If it’s not restricted to premium would someone please point me in the right direction?

I’m curious more than anything because I don’t like to bank calories but I’d be interested from a data and trend perspective.

It's not a premium feature. There is a little pie chart in the upper right corner of the diary... click it and there will be a drop down menu that you can adjust to weekly.. hth