Do you get your periods on the same day every month??

Options
2»

Replies

• MercuryForce
    MercuryForce Posts: 104 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    My iron rich blood also stains mine. The only thing I have found to get it back to original is a long soak in oxyclean at the end of each cycle.

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? It gets mine nice and clean and doesn't have any of the harsh (to cup and vagina) detergents that Oxyclean does.

@vanityy99 I'm sure you'll find most cup users can get a little evangelical about them and are often happy to answer questions, even those you don't ask. 🙂 Personal, I use a Linette cup, because at the time it was one of the few mainstream brands that came in pretty colors (mine is blue) and love it. It only took me a couple days to get used to it and have had no problems since.
    https://putacupinit.com is a great resource to start looking at options.
  • DrusiliaDD
    DrusiliaDD Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @vanityy99 I use a cup as well. I first tried the Mooncup and it didn't work very well for me, it was too large for what I have in there and I found it very difficult to clean because of the design of the airholes. I switched to a MeLuna cup a couple of years ago and I've never looked back, they have far more sizing and stem options and its just generally working a lot better for me.
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    To answer the original question. Nope! I have irregular periods and have all my life. Sometimes it's close together, sometimes (rarely) 6-8 weeks apart. It's supposed to be normal if yours has been like this all your life.
    I also only started to realise how irregular when I was tracking my days when trying to conceive. While it was super annoying to try and figure out ovulation dates and we had to use ovulation kits to pinpoint the actual ovulation dates, I now have 2 beautiful girls so it hasn't affected my fertility. 😊
  • Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It depends on how long your cycle is? Do you keep track of that? Generally, a normal period cycle is between 25-35 days. You cycle starts from the first day of your last period to your next. I would suggest going into talk to your OBGYN for more information.

I, myself have an irregular cycle so sometimes I won't get it for a month, but sometimes I will get it twice in a month & it's not always the same duration for me. Take into account stress and such with your period. You could have a normal cycle, but if you're feeling stress & anxiety it can delay it. If you're changing your fitness regimen too that could change it as well. Talk to a professional provider about it. You won't get a clear cut answer from people online about what's going on with your health. Everyone's body is different. Hope you figure it out!
  • missjck2
    missjck2 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ha I wish, it was never normal for me. The last time I had a period it lasted 38 days (yes consecutively) and I nearly died. Im thankful it was able to serve its purpose once but my uterus literally hated me and I absolutely do not miss it LOL.

A little off topic here but kudos and hugs to those of you still enduring that part of womanhood, especially when its not your typical 3-5 day light flow. I decided to opt out 2 years ago with my near death experience. Fibroids lead to super heavy bleeding, house arrest, low iron, iron and blood transfusions, the horrible memories..
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. mine is very irregular. thats... regular for me. 21 days. 28 days. 35 days. 14 days. its anyones guess. my guess is most women would be the same, unless they are on some type of birth control to regulate it.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    Yeah I’d call that irregular if it happens fairly consistently. Mine’s irregular AF and I hate it. The B is always surprising me 😤
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    mine is usually within 3 or 4 days of when my app says it should be.. But i know when its coming cause i will wake up that day with a dull achy crampy feeling. when that starts i will start within 3 or 4 hours.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I'm usually 28 days but it can be 24 days and it can be 32 days.... I get advance warning by 3 days, thanks to a little 'show'.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Before perimenopause set in mine were anywhere between 3 and 4 weeks but would last on average around 10 days. It seemed I was almost bleeding as much as I wasn't until I got a Mirena inserted. This is in contrast to when I was a teen/young adult where not only were they 4 weeks exactly, they nearly always came at about the same time of the day (mid-morning). Now they are anywhere from 4 weeks to 8 months apart.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    My iron rich blood also stains mine. The only thing I have found to get it back to original is a long soak in oxyclean at the end of each cycle.

Have you tried hydrogen peroxide? It gets mine nice and clean and doesn't have any of the harsh (to cup and vagina) detergents that Oxyclean does.

@vanityy99 I'm sure you'll find most cup users can get a little evangelical about them and are often happy to answer questions, even those you don't ask. 🙂 Personal, I use a Linette cup, because at the time it was one of the few mainstream brands that came in pretty colors (mine is blue) and love it. It only took me a couple days to get used to it and have had no problems since.

Oxyclean free is basically just hydrogen peroxide once it dissolves. And it is rinsed throughly, then rests for 2-3 weeks, then is rinsed again before insertion. I have super sensitive skin in general, so I am especially careful about what goes in my vagina.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Oxyclean free is basically just hydrogen peroxide once it dissolves. And it is rinsed throughly, then rests for 2-3 weeks, then is rinsed again before insertion. I have super sensitive skin in general, so I am especially careful about what goes in my vagina.

The active ingredient in Oxyclean is Sodium Percarbonate which breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when mixed with water. The soda ash (aka "washing soda" or sodium carbonate) is what is irritating because it is so alkaline. Many can also be sensitive to the scent added.

(as an aside, I buy sodium percarbonate in bulk for laundry purposes. Much cheaper than Oxyclean and doesn't have the additives)

To answer the original question: having a variation of up to a week is perfectly normal. If you have never had a 28 day cycle, you are actually like the majority of women. I was considered regular but I would range between 27 and 35 days between periods, the most common being 30 days. 28 days is actually an average for many women, not an actual schedule.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Why not try a period tracking app and let it help predict your period? Helps me a lot...
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    Options
    Why not try a period tracking app and let it help predict your period? Helps me a lot...

Downloaded as soon as I read this.
    Gotta see if this actually works.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, I get mine within about 12-16 hours of the same day every month. But I'm on birth control that regulates everything, so it's super easy to predict. Before I was on birth control, it was every 3-5 weeks. I never quite knew. I frequently had accidents or ended up wasting supplies.

It doesn't matter what's "normal." What matters is what's normal FOR YOU. If you are like clockwork but then you are a week late, then look to outside factors like intercourse, illness, stress, weight gain or loss etc. If you are normally variable and just seem to have a super-late one, then you'll have to ride it out - and maybe take a pregnancy test for peace of mind.
  • arieswrite1
    arieswrite1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    From the age of 18 until about 2 years ago at age 39, the only times I even had my period were when I was on birth control or taking Metformin for PCOS. I even went as long as a year and a half without it in my early twenties. For some reason, right around my 39th birthday it started coming regularly on its own, and it has been pretty much every 4-5 weeks since. The only exception was when I was being treated with antibiotics this summer and missed a month. Weird how things happen like that.
  • 3011sophie
    3011sophie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Since we're all here on MFP - could weight loss be contributing to the delay? I was a regular 29 day cycle, 4 day bleed, super predictable. Since I started losing weight, last month I was 4 days late and only had 1 day of bleeding, this month I was 5 days early and back to a more normal 3 day bleed. I use the app Clue to track my cycle, it has functions to track all your symptoms (mood, acne, bloating, sex drive etc) as well as the bleed itself to help you know your cycle better.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    If you want a LOT more information on this topic... the book "taking charge of your fertility" is a great read. It's probably at your library. There shouldn't be much variation in your luteal phase (from ovulation till period) but there can be variation from the start of your period until you ovulate. And if you don't ovulate in a month that could change things too. Stress, weight loss, lots of other things can affect your cycles.

YES. Knowing your fertile signs is so helpful. My cycle can vary by 1.5 weeks (though generally typical variation in maybe 2-5 days). The bigger variations are usually illness-related, sometimes stress related and I always know when I’ll have a longer or shorter cycle because I know when I ovulate.

I know that I will begin spotting 15 days after ovulation, with full on period beginning 16 post ovulation. I use the Clearblue Easy monitor to test for ovulation (also called the Marquette method of natural family planning). Little monitor tells me I ovulated—even if it’s 5 days earlier or 5 days later than usual—and I know when my period will start. So nice to cut out the guesswork.
  • JustAbby1984
    JustAbby1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Indeed. I use Flo.

I know that I will begin spotting 15 days after ovulation, with full on period beginning 16 post ovulation. I use the Clearblue Easy monitor to test for ovulation (also called the Marquette method of natural family planning). Little monitor tells me I ovulated—even if it’s 5 days earlier or 5 days later than usual—and I know when my period will start. So nice to cut out the guesswork.

Same here. Usually checking an app is enough for me, but sometimes I use Clearblue easy monitor, it's one of the best ovulation tests you can find in any store. My cycle always varies in 4-5 days, that's okay for me. But if I'm ill or stressed it varies even more.