Best exercises for weak knees?

Options
Hi,

Anyone with bad knees have any recommendations on exercise that either helps with knees or doesn’t hurt them?

I have always been really prone to sprains, and I have a year old injury in my left kneecap that acts up with anything high impact.

I have access to my apartment complexes gym, they have a good amount of free weights, weight machine, elliptical, bikes and treadmills

Specific exercises or any videos etc you might know of would be appreciated

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    It's not really an exercise, but I love my balance board. I use it mostly for my bad ankles but it basically forces your legs to get better at fine adjustments. My gym has one, yours might.

Alternatively, you can fold a fluffy pillow in half and try standing on it on one foot. Just keep a wall or something nearby.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what's really wrong, swimming (but not breaststroke), cycling, and rowing. These are all things that I've been able to do in between knee surgeries - as in while I was waiting for one knee to heal before getting the other operated on. That said, your knees are not my knees and vice versa.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Your best bet, if you haven't done it already, would be to get your knee issues diagnosed, and get a physical therapy referral to help you remedy the situation if that's feasible.

Certain types of knee problems will go from readily correctable to debilitating if you do the wrong things. Other types of knee problems won't be made worse by what you do, and you'll simply need to limit what you do based on what discomfort you can tolerate. Still other problems can be improved or even fully remedied if you do the right types of exercise.

One of the women I row with and I both have "bad knees". Initially, we both saw the same orthopedist. The treatments he recommended for each of us were completely different, because what was wrong with our knees was very different. (I have a torn meniscus, and some osteoarthritis in the joint. I got one cortisone injection, and physical therapy to help me correct how I walk and climb stairs in order to reduce stress on the joint. I can defer surgery - which would be some scope clean up initially, but probably knee replacement eventually - and do whatever I wish, as long as I can tolerate how I feel. She had "the worst kneecap arthritis he had ever seen", got several rounds of gel shots, decided to move to a house with fewer required stairs, and has since needed a knee replacement.)

Get diagnosed, so you can get appropriate treatment for your case.
  • aokoye
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Your best bet, if you haven't done it already, would be to get your knee issues diagnosed, and get a physical therapy referral to help you remedy the situation if that's feasible.

Certain types of knee problems will go from readily correctable to debilitating if you do the wrong things. Other types of knee problems won't be made worse by what you do, and you'll simply need to limit what you do based on what discomfort you can tolerate. Still other problems can be improved or even fully remedied if you do the right types of exercise.

One of the women I row with and I both have "bad knees". Initially, we both saw the same orthopedist. The treatments he recommended for each of us were completely different, because what was wrong with our knees was very different. (I have a torn meniscus, and some osteoarthritis in the joint. I got one cortisone injection, and physical therapy to help me correct how I walk and climb stairs in order to reduce stress on the joint. I can defer surgery - which would be some scope clean up initially, but probably knee replacement eventually - and do whatever I wish, as long as I can tolerate how I feel. She had "the worst kneecap arthritis he had ever seen", got several rounds of gel shots, decided to move to a house with fewer required stairs, and has since needed a knee replacement.)

Yep. I went in thinking it'd be nothing that some PT could fix. And then had two sets major knee knee surgeries (moving bone sort of major major) because the goal is for me not to need a knee replacement when I'm 40 and then have to put it off until my 50s due to the lifespan of the replacements.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    It's not really an exercise, but I love my balance board. I use it mostly for my bad ankles but it basically forces your legs to get better at fine adjustments. My gym has one, yours might.

Alternatively, you can fold a fluffy pillow in half and try standing on it on one foot. Just keep a wall or something nearby.

That sounds interesting! We don’t have one at my gym but I might try the pillow thing.

That’s fair, I didn’t realize how much treatments would vary. I don’t think I can get it diagnosed or treated right now, I don’t really have health insurance. I went to the dr after the injury out of pocket and they basically said without an MRI the best they could advise is to treat it like a sprain.

So far I’ve just been avoiding anything that hurts, but I’ve gotten out of shape and need to build up strength again. I will probably try to avoid anything that targets the area until I find out what’s best from a doc, I don’t want to make it worse.

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

Yep. I went in thinking it'd be nothing that some PT could fix. And then had two sets major knee knee surgeries (moving bone sort of major major) because the goal is for me not to need a knee replacement when I'm 40 and then have to put it off until my 50s due to the lifespan of the replacements.
    This is not necessarily true. Good surgeons are nuw doing people in their 30s and 40s because the newer replacements last longer. Ask questions and get another medical opinion. Per a friend who’s a orthopedic nurse at one of the leading practices in Seattle.
  • aokoye
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

This is not necessarily true. Good surgeons are nuw doing people in their 30s and 40s because the newer replacements last longer. Ask questions and get another medical opinion. Per a friend who’s a orthopedic nurse at one of the leading practices in Seattle.

Last I heard it was really 40s and above, especially for people who are very active. That was from a very good orthopedic surgeon in one of the leading practices in Portland. Regardless, preventing me from needing a knee replacement is better than waiting around until I need one and seriously hampering my ability to do any of the activities I like (cycling, swimming, and rowing) in the meantime. As I've said many a time, when I have knee pain with cycling, there's a problem. While a tibial tubercle osteotomy appears to have a longer and more conservative recovery than a knee replacement, I'd take it over one any day.

The first two surgeries were done well, but were done shortly before a fair amount of research came out on best practices for people with my anatomy. I'm also pretty sure that surgeon didn't notice that I had patella alta. As a result, I ended up in similar amounts of pain 3 or 4 years after the second surgery was done (they were 8ish months apart). That's when I got a second opinion with a very well respected surgeon at OHSU. Again, the goal was to prevent me from needing a knee replacement (which would then likely involve a second knee replacement in X number of decades) as well as needing any further related surgery later down the line.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, having had the second set of surgeries (another set of TTOs but this time with MPFL repairs) and a boat load of physical therapy, I'm able to do more or less anything I want, including running (which I hadn't been able to really do since I was 14 for a variety of reasons). I was also able to keep my full range of flexion and extension. I should also note that I was in my early 20s when I had the first surgeries done and 29 and 30 years when I had the second two surgeries (I'm 32 now). Even if we go with the younger end of doing a knee replacement that you mentioned, that would have still involved a very long wait the first time around.
  • roobella
    roobella Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Walking and swimming
    Also from physio I had, always make sure to give your quads a really good daily stretch. As tight quads can pull your knee out of alignment
  • phx92
    Options
    roobella wrote: »
    Walking and swimming
    Also from physio I had, always make sure to give your quads a really good daily stretch. As tight quads can pull your knee out of alignment

That’s a good idea, thanks!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Last I heard it was really 40s and above, especially for people who are very active. That was from a very good orthopedic surgeon in one of the leading practices in Portland. Regardless, preventing me from needing a knee replacement is better than waiting around until I need one and seriously hampering my ability to do any of the activities I like (cycling, swimming, and rowing) in the meantime. As I've said many a time, when I have knee pain with cycling, there's a problem. While a tibial tubercle osteotomy appears to have a longer and more conservative recovery than a knee replacement, I'd take it over one any day.

The first two surgeries were done well, but were done shortly before a fair amount of research came out on best practices for people with my anatomy. I'm also pretty sure that surgeon didn't notice that I had patella alta. As a result, I ended up in similar amounts of pain 3 or 4 years after the second surgery was done (they were 8ish months apart). That's when I got a second opinion with a very well respected surgeon at OHSU. Again, the goal was to prevent me from needing a knee replacement (which would then likely involve a second knee replacement in X number of decades) as well as needing any further related surgery later down the line.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, having had the second set of surgeries (another set of TTOs but this time with MPFL repairs) and a boat load of physical therapy, I'm able to do more or less anything I want, including running (which I hadn't been able to really do since I was 14 for a variety of reasons). I was also able to keep my full range of flexion and extension. I should also note that I was in my early 20s when I had the first surgeries done and 29 and 30 years when I had the second two surgeries (I'm 32 now). Even if we go with the younger end of doing a knee replacement that you mentioned, that would have still involved a very long wait the first time around.

I was told at 42 I desparately needed a knee replacement but was too young then. You're right, back then the life expectancy was around 15 years (why they ended up just doing my ACL, microfracture surgery and hoping for the best on me). Now, it's like 25 years for someone very active. So yeah, you don't want a 2nd when you're 65. I'm 55 this year, so look how far they've come since I was 42 (13 years they've doubled the life expectancy of total knee replacements). I'll wait quite a few more years and go to Europe and have a mini vacation and do it at 1/5 the cost of the US if I'm still basically self-insured then (I'm self employed so unfortunately for me, travel surgery is a reality to have to do to save money. It's either that or pay $20K more a year on a high-end health insurance policy). Last I checked, you can do Belgium or Poland at a state of the art facility for around $8K all in -- testing, recovery, therapy, hospital, doc, everything. That leaves quite a bit more for a European vacation.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »

To this, a properly performed squat is not only not bad for your knees but will help make soft tissues that cause 'bad' knees more resiliant and less prone to injury.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Without knowing if anything is really anything wrong with your knee(s), I would always point to progressive strength training first.

It's been my experience that most people that do state they have bad knees, more often than not do not perform useful strength training.

Finding a lift, intensity, frequency, and/or range of motion that you can tolerate would be ideal first.

I would see if you can squat in any capacity which most people can. If the very rare occurrence of not being able to, I would look at leg press and so on. In your case, you might perform step ups while progressively increasing the load intelligently.
  • phx92
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Without knowing if anything is really anything wrong with your knee(s), I would always point to progressive strength training first.

It's been my experience that most people that do state they have bad knees, more often than not do not perform useful strength training.

Finding a lift, intensity, frequency, and/or range of motion that you can tolerate would be ideal first.

I would see if you can squat in any capacity which most people can. If the very rare occurrence of not being able to, I would look at leg press and so on. In your case, you might perform step ups while progressively increasing the load intelligently.

I haven’t really been able to do squats since high school—I sprained my knee once at a sports practice and that knee has been really easily injured since. Its probably just my form, but I have managed to injure myself any time I try them so I’ve been avoiding them, especially now that the easily sprained knee is my “good” one and my other knee acts up more

Leg presses or step ups sound doable though, and hopefully if I build up strength I won’t have as many problems
  • aokoye
    Options
    CipherZero wrote: »
    wiigelec wrote: »

To this, a properly performed squat is not only not bad for your knees but will help make soft tissues that cause 'bad' knees more resiliant and less prone to injury.

This assumes that everyone has muscles, bones, ligaments, and cartilage that are amenable to that motion. The OP may need to work up to the point where it's advisable for them to do squats. Making a blanket statement that they're good for everyone, especially in the context of injury, is ignoring people aren't all the same.

It's similar to the idea that running doesn't make your knees bad. Well it may not if there aren't any underlying conditions or issues at play. To assume that no one has underlying issues, however, is to make a faulty assumption.
  • jafinnearty
    jafinnearty Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    phx92 wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone with bad knees have any recommendations on exercise that either helps with knees or doesn’t hurt them?

I have always been really prone to sprains, and I have a year old injury in my left kneecap that acts up with anything high impact.

I have access to my apartment complexes gym, they have a good amount of free weights, weight machine, elliptical, bikes and treadmills

Specific exercises or any videos etc you might know of would be appreciated

If you have access to a swimming pool, then try out some water aerobics! I did that while I was pregnant, and it was incredible for me. I had no pain in my joints, and enjoyed myself in the process!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I used to run X-country through high school and university and discovered my knees and ankles just can't take the pounding as I got injured frequently. Have since experimented with various low impact sports since then. Loved skating, both inline and ice, both figure and speedskating. Had to quit after I getting a nerve disease which resulted in slight paralysis in feet which affects balance. I hate swiming because nerve damage in feet and hands means I can't tell where my limbs are underwater. Cycled a bit but found that boring. I now stick to an elliptical trainer or stair ergometer at the gym. To combat boredom I watch TV on an iPad.

I have had one knee replacement but the surgeon tells me the prognosis for my other knee (also overused) is not good. My knee surgeon tells me that the MRI on my knees show they are about 20 years older than the rest of my body.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention you might try rowing (or rowing machine), kayaking or canoeing. I did rowing for a while but ultimately found that boring.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    As someone currently rehabing from yet another knee injury I do wish people wouldn't suggest particular exercises for an undiagnosed condition.

This grade 2 MCL tear requires very different treatment and rehab to my grade 3 PCL tear, which is different to my patellar fracture, my 90% missing lateral meniscus, my torn medial meniscus..... (etc!!)

It's not just rehab - the different injuries need me to avoid different movements and exercises and allow me to do different movements and exercise, some short term, some for life or at least until I have a TKR.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics help me a lot.