Do I count vegetable calories?

Options
yesterday I made yummy Thai Chicken Curry with Veggies - the Veggie were broccoli, carrots, onion and snow peas which equaled 395 calories. I consider these good calories and in WW you don't count these calories. What's your thoughts?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    To your body, a calorie from a vegetable is the same as a calorie from a chocolate bar. You should always count all calories from food. There are no "free foods" here, as to your body there is no such thing.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a free food. Not just on mfp, but in real life.

Weigh and log everything you eat. Period. 👍
  • Scherba1969
    Scherba1969 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I see the issue. When I scanned the stir fry veggies bag (easy and fast for after work) and I put in 3 cups (over estimated for sure) i got 395 calories but when I put it in manually I got 167. Interesting - what do you think?
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    yesterday I made yummy Thai Chicken Curry with Veggies - the Veggie were broccoli, carrots, onion and snow peas which equaled 395 calories. I consider these good calories and in WW you don't count these calories. What's your thoughts?

Calories are calories...it doesn't matter of they're "good" calories. A calorie is just a unit of measure.

WW uses a point system, which isn't calories, nor is it based on calories. They make some foods "free" by inflating the points of other foods and providing a lower total point target to compensate for "free."

Calories are calories are calories...
    I see the issue. When I scanned the stir fry veggies bag (easy and fast for after work) and I put in 3 cups (over estimated for sure) i got 395 calories but when I put it in manually I got 167. Interesting - what do you think?
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas

167 sounds more reasonable for the veg...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas

167 seems more likely, but the answer to this is to compare your bag to the information you used.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas

Many of the bags of stir fry veggies have seasonings and things added. I would go with the nutrition information on the bag.

On another note, scanning bar codes is extremely inaccurate. You are better off typing in the item and finding an entry that matches the info on the bag.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    As others have said, a calorie is a calorie. It all depends on how strict you want to be when counting calories as a whole (i.e. if you don't track on certain days, etc.)
  • Scherba1969
    Scherba1969 Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas

Many of the bags of stir fry veggies have seasonings and things added. I would go with the nutrition information on the bag.

On another note, scanning bar codes is extremely inaccurate. You are better off typing in the item and finding an entry that matches the info on the bag.

It was not seasoned veggies it was plain. From the fresh veggie cooler.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 920 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    2 cups of broccoli
    1 cup of carrots
    .5 cup of snow peas

did you eat all those veggies?

if so, did you weigh all those veggies, then find an accurate listing on mfp (many listings aren't accurate) and log? if you personally didn't eat all of them, how did you guess what percentage you ate?

did you weigh the oil you cooked them in and everything else?

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    "Good" calories or "bad" calories are still calories.

If you used My Fitness Pal to get your calorie goal, then yes you count veggie calories.

WW gives you a lower starting value so you get your choice of "free" foods. It's just a gimmick to "help" you make the decision they want you to.

Sneaky B@STARDS! Well played..
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options

Someone please alert my *kitten* that veggies are "free". It didn't get the memo, and my pants don't fit.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Basically, if you didn’t need to count vegetable calories there would be very few overweight vegetarians!

I’m one of those vegetarians and at least 60-70% of my intake is from vegetables (and fruit) so I’d be in a bit of a pickle if I didn’t count those calories! 😊
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Count everything, everything has calories, except water, and your body counts them.
    Weight loss is all about eating less calories than your body burns no matter what kind of weight loss program you follow, even WW. Someone has figured out calorie count and tells you what to eat, and how much. We can figure it out ourselves.