Arm exercises

Options
What exercises can I do to tone my upper arms. I have always had trouble with this area.

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Overhead press, bench, and dead lifts are pretty efficient overtime within a intelligently written template that includes progressive overloading.

Some accessory lifts such as curls, tri push downs, etc could help if included in the template.

Adequate protein is also needed. Amount of protein will vary depend on age, how male you are', health, if your training in a deficit, recomp, or surplus. Eating in a deficit is probably going to be the way to go for most people on this site who desire a tone look.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Looking "toned" is about 90% fat loss, and exercises can't target fat loss. For the other 10%, follow any good, full-body strength program, like the ones in the pinned post. Don't modify the program to target your arms extra. Focus on correct calorie intake instead.

Search the forum for other opinions. As you might guess, it's been asked before.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    As others have said, looking toned is mostly a matter of body fat percentage vs muscle mass in the right areas. A progressive lifting program, sufficient protein, and not losing too fast so your body doesn't destroy your existing muscle while you're losing is your best bet.

Here's a good list of those programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    As others have said, looking toned is mostly a matter of body fat percentage vs muscle mass in the right areas. A progressive lifting program, sufficient protein, and not losing too fast so your body doesn't destroy your existing muscle while you're losing is your best bet.

Here's a good list of those programs: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

This is a good reminder for you, OP, especially considering your other thread. Eating 1050 a day and losing at a ridiculously fast rate will not allow you to tone your upper arms because you’ll be losing muscle along with the fat. (This is in addition to the eventual loss, sallow skin and nails, binging cycles, etc that also results from chronic undereating).

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What exercises can I do to tone my upper arms. I have always had trouble with this area.

Since the question is just about arm exercises, here's one of my favorite splits for arm day. Like the others have said, not knowing anything else about you, I like to cycle many different routines to balance the whole body and also balance my energy intake, and all the macros and micronutrients in a balanced healthy manner. Of course, there is already enough about there on this subject, so I'll leave this with just the exercises which won't do much good unless all the other things mentioned are in a healthy balance.

Arms (4 sets of all exercises) Tempo is explained below

A1 Preacher Curl EZ Curl Bar, 8-10 reps, 4010 tempo, 0 rest

A2 Decline Bench Dumbbells, 8-10 reps, 4010 90 second rest

B1 Incline DB Curl 45 degree Incline, 10-12 reps, 4010 tempo, 0 rest

B2 O/H Triceps Extension EZ Curl Bar, 10-12 reps, 4010 tempo, 60 second rest

C1 Cable Curl Rope, 10-12 reps, 3010 tempo, 30 second rest

C2 Cable Press-down Rope, 10-12 reps, 3010 tempo, 30 rest

C3 Single-Arm Cable Curl Single Handle Attachment, 10-12 reps, 3010 tempo 30 second rest

C4 Single-Arm Triceps Pushdown Single Handle Attachment, 10-12 reps, 3010 tempo, 30-second rest.

What is tempo? TUT (Time Under Tension) There are four numbers that constitute the tempo of an exercise, so it may look something like this:

4-0-1-0
    The first number (4) is the eccentric, or lowering, component of the lift.
    The second number (0) denotes any pause at the midpoint.
    The third number (1) is the concentric, or lifting, component.
    Finally, the fourth number (0) denotes any pause at the top.

A 4010 tempo makes perfect sense on lifts that start with an eccentric, or lowering phase, like a squat or bench press. You lower the bar for 3 seconds, there's no pause at the midpoint, and when you return to the starting position. Reset and go again.

Best of luck to you!
    Roberta

• JessicaGarrantParmeter
    Options
    Thank You California!
  • JessicaGarrantParmeter
    Options
    @gallicinvasion calm down! I have changed my caloric intake to 1200, this will be healthier for me. I came for support, not a bashing session. Thanks.
  • smal48
    smal48 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I really like the fitness blender arm workouts on YouTube - tank top arms and shoulder sculpting. They’re free videos, you just need handweights.