Underrated foods?

Options

Replies

• Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    eggs, yogurt, blue cheese, almonds, guacamole, peaches, whipped cream, wheaties cereal, and salsa

Guacamole?? Underrated?

My thoughts exactly! Didn't avocados become like this huge trend like a couple years ago in social media? 😅
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    44ndmwn16nw7.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options
    Livhere wrote: »
    eggs, yogurt, blue cheese, almonds, guacamole, peaches, whipped cream, wheaties cereal, and salsa

Guacamole?? Underrated?

My thoughts exactly! Didn't avocados become like this huge trend like a couple years ago in social media? 😅

The underrated-guacamole previous poster mentioned on another thread that she's . . . quite young. Like < community guidelines young. Perhaps she doesn't remember that avocado craze.

Also, salsa outsells ketchup these days in the US, so I'm not sure in what way it would be under-rated, unless it's the best food on the planet? Ditto eggs (staple food), yogurt (vast fridge cases of it at the grocery, most in what I'd consider yucky flavors).
    44ndmwn16nw7.png

That doesn't look underrated?

• pancakerunner
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Guacamole?? Underrated?

The underrated-guacamole previous poster mentioned on another thread that she's . . . quite young. Like < community guidelines young. Perhaps she doesn't remember that avocado craze.

Also, salsa outsells ketchup these days in the US, so I'm not sure in what way it would be under-rated, unless it's the best food on the planet? Ditto eggs (staple food), yogurt (vast fridge cases of it at the grocery, most in what I'd consider yucky flavors).
    44ndmwn16nw7.png

I know a number of people who don't like 7-layer bars or have never tried/heard of them... so I would say they are underrated compared to other bars/desserts :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    As far as I’m concerned, they couldn’t possibly be underrated.
  • Livhere
    Options
    It was on just about every social media website & on tv so I'd be surprised if they didn't know about it since kids are so glued to their phones these days.

What is that? It almost looks like sweet potato and coconut. Is that a dessert or protein bar?
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    It was on just about every social media website & on tv so I'd be surprised if they didn't know about it since kids are so glued to their phones these days.

What is that? It almost looks like sweet potato and coconut. Is that a dessert or protein bar?

7-layer cookie bars! Dessert.
  • Livhere
    Options
    I've never heard of 7-layer cookie bars. I've heard of 7-layer dip lol :D
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I've never heard of 7-layer cookie bars. I've heard of 7-layer dip lol :D

gotta try!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,147 Member
    Options

Guacamole?? Underrated?

44ndmwn16nw7.png

I know a number of people who don't like 7-layer bars or have never tried/heard of them... so I would say they are underrated compared to other bars/desserts :)

Wot??!?!
  • pancakerunner
    Options

Guacamole?? Underrated?

44ndmwn16nw7.png

Wot??!?!

!!!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Guacamole?? Underrated?

44ndmwn16nw7.png

I definitely know minors who are well aware that avocados (and guacamole) are a craze. We can thank, in part, Buzzfeed for that one.

I'm not a fan of eggs and flat out down like yogurt (not for lack of trying) and blue cheese, but that's not because they're underrated. I'm not sure how anything in the above list other than Wheaties are underrated really.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options

Guacamole?? Underrated?

So on the bars, I don't like them, so maybe an (unimportant) point in the underrated column? Seems to me for the same cals I could have a blondie from Hannah's and not get any awful shredded coconut. It's okay, I expect to get a disagree from someone! ;-)

Re: eggs, yogurt, blue cheese, almonds, guacamole, peaches, whipped cream, salsa, with the possible exception of blue cheese, which may be more polarizing (IMO, some is good, usually the more local or artisanal ones, and some is eh), that reads to me like a "foods people are always telling me they love" list, so I wonder if age does not mean "I missed the avocado toast trend" (which seems to be still going on, IMO it's the only decent breakfast at most of the Marriott Residence Inns) but "I assumed this thread was just about listing foods I like."

It kind of makes me want to list steak, chicken noodle soup, broccoli soup, corn on the cob, Honeycrisp apples, spinach dip, and mashed potatoes with butter.

On the other hand, I do hate Wheaties just as I hate and find incredibly overrated all cold cereal, which I do not understand how people can like. But I'm pretty sure I'm the weird one here.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Lima beans (and beans in general)
    Kefir
    Alliums of all sorts (onions, leeks, shallots, etc.)
    Cabbage
    Fin-fish other than salmon and tuna
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Kefir
    Cabbage
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

By "fin-fish" do you mean fish that have fins? Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are definitely popular here, but I'm also in Portland, OR. We have at least one local tofu producer (that apparently makes really good tofu - my stomach hates tofu so I don't eat it which sucks) as well as a "specialty food manufacturer hand crafting unconventional, soy-free tempeh" that my among other restaurants, my Saturday post rowing breakfast spot gets their tempeh from.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Kefir
    Cabbage
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

By "fin-fish" do you mean fish that have fins? Tofu, tempeh, and seitan are definitely popular here, but I'm also in Portland, OR. We have at least one local tofu producer (that apparently makes really good tofu - my stomach hates tofu so I don't eat it which sucks) as well as a "specialty food manufacturer hand crafting unconventional, soy-free tempeh" that my among other restaurants, my Saturday post rowing breakfast spot gets their tempeh from.

Yes, as opposed to shell-fish.

I'm on the East Coast, and tofu, tempeh, and seitan are fairly easy to find in most of the grocery stores I shop in, so obviously somebody is eating them. But I would say that each one of those stores devotes significantly less shelf space to tofu, tempeh, and seitan combined than they do to plain greek yogurt. Or to almondmilk. Or to Pop Tarts. Or Cheerios. Or shredded cheddar cheese.

While I know people who eat tofu, tempeh, and seitan, it's a relatively small percentage of the people I know. And the ones that don't eat them seem to have generally negative views (or they do once you explain what tempeh and seitan are).

And I realize I left something off my list:

runny cheeses
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Oops cross posted
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Kefir
    Cabbage
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

I'm on the East Coast, and tofu, tempeh, and seitan are fairly easy to find in most of the grocery stores I shop in, so obviously somebody is eating them. But I would say that each one of those stores devotes significantly less shelf space to tofu, tempeh, and seitan combined than they do to plain greek yogurt. Or to almondmilk. Or to Pop Tarts. Or Cheerios. Or shredded cheddar cheese.

While I know people who eat tofu, tempeh, and seitan, it's a relatively small percentage of the people I know. And the ones that don't eat them seem to have generally negative views (or they do once you explain what tempeh and seitan are).

runny cheeses

I like your list, but I feel compelled to comment:

I think tofu (for sure, I think it's the most popular option at the WF salad bar and also at any Thai place) is super popular and tempeh and seitan are too these days.

Fin fish are incredibly popular, whole restaurants are dedicated to them.

Roasted seaweed -- sure
    Liver -- I love it, but sure
    Okra -- sure, commonly disliked
    Lima beans (and beans in general) -- okay, don't disagree about popular perception
    Kefir -- not these days, super trendy
    Alliums of all sorts (onions, leeks, shallots, etc.) -- nope most loves\ them
    Cabbage -- nope, I use it lot and most like it IME, and its a cole slaw and St Paddys Day staple.
    Fin-fish other than salmon and tuna -- nope, in particular everyone (who likes fish) loves trout, but there are tons of other options, go to any fish restaurant, those here are popular

Tofu; Tempeh; Seitan -- discussed above

Don't know what runny cheeses are (other than melted) but doubt people generally dislike cheese.

• lynn_glenmont
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Roasted seaweed
    Liver
    Okra
    Kefir
    Cabbage
    Tofu
    Tempeh
    Seitan

runny cheeses

I like your list, but I feel compelled to comment:

I think tofu (for sure, I think it's the most popular option at the WF salad bar and also at any Thai place) is super popular and tempeh and seitan are too these days.

Obviously our experiences and the reference points we've chosen differ, so please don't take this as arguing with you -- just explaining what I'm basing my views on.

I've been getting Chinese and Thai tofu dishes for lunch for take-away for about 20 years, and office-mates generally have a comment ranging from "Oh, I didn't know you're a vegetarian" (I'm not) to "Yuck." Just about anytime I've eaten in a Chinese or Thai restaurant with other people where we're going to share dishes and I suggest getting one with tofu, the reaction is "no" or at best, "well, nobody else is going to eat it." (The only exceptions have been Chinese friends, vegetarians, and one person trying to get more soy in their diet.)
    Fin fish are incredibly popular, whole restaurants are dedicated to them.

There have always been entire restaurants dedicated to them. But most of the people I know seem to seldom if ever eat anything other than tuna or salmon. And shell-fish. When I go to the beach with family and a whole group of us go to a place they say they love because it has such great seafood, they're all ordering shellfish or tuna or salmon (or burgers or steak), even though there are generally at least three or four other varieties of fin-fish available on any given day.

I didn't eat much fin-fish other tuna and salmon myself until probably the last five to ten years. I used to worry I would choke on a bone, which happened to me once as a kid. But I've gotten over it, and I love trying all kinds. I have at least six different kinds in the freezer right now. But I look around me at the people I know and I feel like they underappreciate it. Which is what I took "underrated" to mean. If I'm missing the boat on that, I'd be interested what other people think "underrated" means.
    Roasted seaweed -- sure
    Liver -- I love it, but sure
    Okra -- sure, commonly disliked
    Lima beans (and beans in general) -- okay, don't disagree about popular perception
    Kefir -- not these days, super trendy

What I see people buying is the fruit-flavored stuff. Sometimes it's hard to find the plain kind, which is what I like to drink. In my mind, the way I see people talk about it, it's viewed as some super healthy food that you drink because of probiotics, but they don't actually like it unless they cover over the taste with strawberry or blueberry. I drink it because it's a really tasty, calorie-efficient way to get some protein, and very refreshing -- like buttermilk or savory yogurt drinks (I generally stir onion, garlic powder, and black pepper into some unstrained plain yogurt and thin it to milkshake consistency with milk).
    Alliums of all sorts (onions, leeks, shallots, etc.) -- nope most loves\ them
    Cabbage -- nope, I use it lot and most like it IME, and its a cole slaw and St Paddys Day staple.

I'm going by seeing people pile their grocery carts with the trendy veggies (brussel sprouts and beets to roast, kale to rub for salads or make chips) and nary a humble allium, cabbage, white potato, or carrot, and by the vegetables I see featured in food and health stories. (Of course, if allium and cabbage were the trendy vegetables, I'd probably be singing the praises of the underrated brussels sprouts, beets, and kale :smile: )

Sure, people like cabbage when a particular holiday or occasion featuring it rolls around, but I feel like they forget about it the rest of the time, unless they're from an ethnic background that features cabbage rolls prominently.

Fin-fish other than salmon and tuna -- nope, in particular everyone (who likes fish) loves trout, but there are tons of other options, go to any fish restaurant, those here are popular

Tofu; Tempeh; Seitan -- discussed above

Me too, discussed above.
    Don't know what runny cheeses are (other than melted) but doubt people generally dislike cheese.

A runny cheese is a really soft cheese like brie, which if served properly at room temperature isn't really solid anymore -- it will run out once you cut into the rind. I'm fond of a runny sheep's milk or three-milk cheese. My friends and family generally serve two hard cheeses (like cheddar) and maybe a fresh cheese when they put out a cheese tray at a party or on the holidays.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not arguing with the list and all that makes sense, I just think it probably varies by location and it's interesting to see how perception varies. Now that I know what you mean by runny cheeses I'd say that's contrary to my perception too (in the sense that if someone orders a cheese plate or brings one to a party it will include that sort of cheese and it will be one of the most popular), but I do agree when it comes to what people are likely to have at home.

Both of my parents liked fish and I grew up eating it (and going fishing with my dad and his friends), so I think my perception of how popular fish is could be distorted.

Our ideas about which veg are the most common differ (but again it's going to depend on all kinds of things). I would expect anyone, even people who don't eat lots of veg, to have onion on hand and to use it, maybe shallots for people who cook more. Even people who don't like veg will usually eat cole slaw too. Potatoes (since you mentioned), I'd also consider popular (it's the only veg, if one considers it that, that Americans actually eat in any significant amount). Brussels seem popular, but right now (since not in season) I don't see people buying them since they aren't as available -- the ones in my local store right now are giant and unappealing). The veg I see people buying all year, along with carrots, celery, are cauliflower, onion, broccoli, peppers, and then bagged greens of various sorts. Kale is semi trendy still (more so a few years ago) but still it seems more disliked than not, and same with beets (although people mostly seem to love or hate beets).

But I've decided I can't really tell.