Apple Cider Vinegar for weight loss

Options

Replies

• l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    l4a_p wrote: »
    While I agree with most statements that weight loss is about calories, there have been mildly successful studies I've encountered that suggest ACV can help. This is because it keeps your insuline level lower, and without insuline you can't store fat. So it doesn't hurt, but don't expect anything magical. I usually drink a bit in water when I know I'll be having a very high carb (= raise insuline levels) meal later.

Please post these studies. Also, your understanding of insulin and fat storage is not accurate at all. Over time, you store or burn fat based on you calorie intake and whether in a surplus or deficit. The role of insulin is to shuttle nutrients into your cells.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?p=40581

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,717 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A reminder to anyone who wishes to try ACV - you should not be drinking it straight or with just a few tablespoons of water. It can be damaging to the esophagus and stomach.

Always mix with a full glass of water. If you're using in a salad dressing or barbecue sauce that's different because you'll mix with other ingredients (often including oil), and eat with food.

The blog shows differing viewpoints about the supposed "benefits" of ACV - it is not promoting it outright. ;)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Annoying isn’t it!

It mystifies me why the MFP blog publishes such drivel!

Best guess - to keep the forums active! 😉

I was so disappointing when I saw that on my home feed and also wondered when someone would use it as a “reference” in the forums. Guess I didn’t have to wait long!

Also disappointed to see there was no mention of using ACV for pulled pork or addressing fruit fly issues in that blog.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Annoying isn’t it!

It mystifies me why the MFP blog publishes such drivel!

Best guess - to keep the forums active! 😉

I was so disappointing when I saw that on my home feed and also wondered when someone would use it as a “reference” in the forums. Guess I didn’t have to wait long!

Also disappointed to see there was no mention of using ACV for pulled pork or addressing fruit fly issues in that blog.

And even so, there is only one "expert" in there that gives it a thumbs up. The others either give it a "no" or a neutral. So even the spammy blog posting masquerading as evidence didn't really support it much.

Drinking ACV mixed with water will not increase your metabolism, will not keep your body from storing fat, will not melt away the fat you have. If you have diabetes, it might help to slightly lower blood sugar levels after a meal. Otherwise, if you like the taste of it, use it in your food as you would any vinegar.

There are occasional studies that pop up once and awhile that show a correlation between drinking ACV and slightly faster weight loss. These studies only show correlation, they are typically small, and the results are not consistently reproducible, which suggests there were other uncontrolled variables involved.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    While I agree with most statements that weight loss is about calories, there have been mildly successful studies I've encountered that suggest ACV can help. This is because it keeps your insuline level lower, and without insuline you can't store fat. So it doesn't hurt, but don't expect anything magical. I usually drink a bit in water when I know I'll be having a very high carb (= raise insuline levels) meal later.

There is some evidence that acetic acid (the acid in ALL vinegar) MIGHT help in lowering blood glucose levels. It has nothing to do with insulin levels and there is nothing special about ACV, red wine or rice vinegar can have the same effect.

The conclusion of the ONE published study is that there appears to be a correlation between acetic acid and blood glucose levels but it is not proven. It is significant enough to warrant further studies to determine if it is true or if this was an anomaly.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    As a weight loss product apple cider vinegar is a great cleaning product.

I prefer Citric acid in water. Cleans just as well but doesn't have the lingering smell of vinegar. On the other hand, can't make a good spinach salad with hot bacon dressing without ACV (even though many recipes call for red wine vinegar).
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Despite loving any pickles and vinegary things in general - I tried to drink a bit of ACV in a small amount of water and almost hurled! I stick to vinegar on my food now instead.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Tried ACV to help me lose weight a few years ago. It did nothing but make me gag at the taste.

I would never get past the smell!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Please post these studies. Also, your understanding of insulin and fat storage is not accurate at all. Over time, you store or burn fat based on you calorie intake and whether in a surplus or deficit. The role of insulin is to shuttle nutrients into your cells.

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/?p=40581

Did you mean to link to this:
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/experts-debate-is-apple-cider-vinegar-a-health-and-weight-loss-fix/
    Because while it has this line:
    In an animal study, vinegar was shown to improve beta cell function in the pancreas of diabetic rats for a more sufficient insulin response and reduced blood sugar.
    That is a quote in a blog about a study, not an actual study.

And improving beta cell health to alter insulin response is nothing at all like lowering your insulin level.
    And while a less common physiological processes, there are indeed pathways that cause cells to take up fatty acids that are insulin independent.
  • alexandravictoria88
    alexandravictoria88 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Does it not have any other benefits? Ive read that it does not help with weightloss however curbs hunger, helps with bloating and is good for your skin. Am i right lol?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Does it not have any other benefits? Ive read that it does not help with weightloss however curbs hunger, helps with bloating and is good for your skin. Am i right lol?

Not in any reproducible or significant ways. It’s an overly marketed snake oil that people are led to believe have myriad benefits that don’t actually exist.

Some people have posted in this thread and countless others some useful home applications (namely recipes and fruit fly riddance).

Save yourself the trouble and the terrible taste. Wouldn’t you rather eat a nutrient dense, satiating diet and drink plenty of water to help with hunger, bloating and your skin?
  • earlnabby
    Options

Nope, although it CAN help the skin a little if applied directly on things like skin tags and warts which are then covered with a bandage. It slowly burns them off. Most prefer the quick burn at a dermatologist's office.