Calories burned

Today my Fitbit gave me a fact regarding my nutrition. It said that over the last month the most calories I burned was 2,790 and the least was 2,014. Is this just a useless fact or can I use this to my advantage somehow?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    That is arguably the most important piece of information to know. The only other one that would rival it is knowing how much you are eating.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Maybe. While the actual numbers are not necessarily super accurate, they may represent patterns that can be useful.

For example: when I wore an activity tracker I learned over time that if I kept my total activity above 3200 calories a day and kept intake below 2000, I steadily lost weight. The rate of loss didn’t match the deficit but the pattern kept me on the right track, without doing a lot of detailed tracking.
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    Thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    The FitBit calories burned is essentially your TDEE. That’s absolutely helpful because that is the number you need to be mindful of to help create a calorie deficit, eat at maintenance, or not exceed without losing weight. That’s a pretty broad range - were you consistently closer to the low or high end.

Do you have your FitBit synced with MFP? Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled? Are you eating back FitBit adjustments and how are your results?
  • lindamtuck2018
    lindamtuck2018 Posts: 9,501 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    The FitBit calories burned is essentially your TDEE. That’s absolutely helpful because that is the number you need to be mindful of to help create a calorie deficit, eat at maintenance, or not exceed without losing weight. That’s a pretty broad range - were you consistently closer to the low or high end.

Do you have your FitBit synced with MFP? Do you have negative calorie adjustments enabled? Are you eating back FitBit adjustments and how are your results?

I sync my Fitbit with MFP. I don’t have the negative calorie adjustment enabled. Should I set that? I was sticking to eating around 1/2 of them but lately it varies from day to day. I have binge eating disorder and I was doing really good but the binges have started again. I was losing at a rate of approximately 2 pounds a week. Now my weight loss was 3.2 for June, same for July and August I lost 6.8 pounds. It didn’t give me any more data just the least and most I burned.

My stats
    5’4”
    55 years old
    SW 262.8
    CW 210.8