Newbie Keto

Options
I was wondering how I figure my macros and then how do I put it into the nutrition part on fitness pal for my goals in carb protein and fat?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I just let mfp automatically set my macros, along with my calorie allotment.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Yes, but you're not keto ;)

Keto macros would be along the lines of 5% carbs, 20% or so protein, and the rest fat, depending on the protein goal selected.

Yeah, I forgot keto was in the title. Thanks.
  • samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Why Keto?
  • lillypade
    Options
    I eat way to much carbs and my stomach feels bloated. Trying to lose about 15 lbs. I’m on day 5. And feeling and doing great.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    I eat way to much carbs and my stomach feels bloated. Trying to lose about 15 lbs. I’m on day 5. And feeling and doing great.

Than keep going. At some point you can always evaluate if you want to do Keto long term. Just keep carbs below 50g.
  • lillypade
    Options
    I’ve been on keto for 2 weeks today. I lost 4 lbs the first week and only 2 the second week. I’m not eating all of my calories I get full but I hit my carb and protein and a little under my fats. What can I do to eat the calories recommend but not go over my carbs fat and protein? Plz help
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well there is nothing wrong with eating more protein. So just eat a fat and protein source .
  • lillypade
    Options
    I thought too much protein is not good?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I thought too much protein is not good?

What percent is your protein currently set to and do you meet or exceed it regularly?

It's common here to read about people having trouble meeting their protein goal, rather than exceeding it.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I should note the fear is that protein can inhibit ketone production. The question is does it matter? If you limit carbs to 25-50g, you are likely to be in ketosis. Also keep in mind that its possible to go in and out of ketosis (like post meal), but that doesn't detract from your bodies ability to get back in ketosis.
  • lillypade
    Options
    25% protein
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Yes, but you're not keto ;)

Keto macros would be along the lines of 5% carbs, 20% or so protein, and the rest fat, depending on the protein goal selected.

You actually don't need carbs so low to do keto.

Warning: lemurcat pontificates about keto!

One issue is that the 5% is based on maintenance cals, or should be, so is generally lower than makes sense for people dieting.

My maintenance is, roughly, 2000, so 5% for me would be about 25 g carbs, which is a reasonable NET carb number for keto (from other reading I think even higher can be okay too, especially if one is active). When I was actually doing keto I was usually at around 35 net carbs (60 total), since that's what I ended up at with a reasonable amount (IMO) of veg, plus a serving of nuts and occasional greek yogurt.

But even using the 25 g net, that's around 45 g total if you are trying to get most of the carbs from veg, so more like 10% for MFP settings at a deficit. (1500 cal has 10% at 38 g carbs -- if at only 1200, I'd say more like 15%)

Then protein, I'd stick with the usual around 0.8 g per lb of goal weight, which brings me to, say, 100 g for someone aiming to be 125 or about 25% of the 1500 goal or even 30% if closer to 1200.

That leaves about 65% fat at 1500, and more like 55% fat at 1200.

I think these are more reasonable numbers and allow for more vegetables and protein (and protein is extra important at very low carb levels for muscle preservation) when doing keto. The 20% protein number is often based on an unwarranted fear that the protein will kick one out of keto.

Overall, I'd pay far less attention to macros and more to hitting calories (some find it too easy to undereat on keto, especially at the beginning), hitting or exceeding protein, and sticking to (or a little under) the net carb number (and getting the carbs from nutrient-dense sources).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

When I switched to lower carb/higher fat my digestion issues cleared up, including the pronounced bloating I always had :) I had gone into low carb as a month long experiment and haven't looked back since, it's been a great fit for me!

I was just the opposite. That much fat caused all kinds of digestive issues. My happy place is moderate carb, moderate fat, and slightly higher protein (35% carb, 35% protein, 30% fat). Good thing weight loss is not a "one size fits all" proposition.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    @lillypade

I had to cut carbs due to extreme carb sensitivities that caused bloat, pain, and discomfort.

I highly recommend joining The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group on here.

There's a lot of links and discussions about macros.

This is straight out of my physiology book: The liver converts excess protein to either ketones or glucose. There are links in Groups to a researcher and his findings on glucose vs ketones ... Basically you can eat as much protein as desired and still remain in ketosis, as long as carbs are kept low enough.

The reason I find this difficult is proteins are expensive and filling. It's cheaper and easier to add a couple of tbls of olive oil, butter, or a serving or two of high fat cheeses to up calorie intake.

Good luck to all