Newbie Keto

Options
2»

Replies

• Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've lost 29.5 lbs since August 13th on keto and have never felt better while losing weight. Had my annual physical yesterday (did the blood work last week) and doc was VERY happy with my blood work. Biggest benefit for me on keto is I am NEVER HUNGRY and doing OMAD (one nice big meal a day around 5pm). Google Jason Fung and do some reading. And no I am not eating pounds of bacon and sticks of butter. My favourite dinner is a huge greek salad with ground beef that I cook up with different spices and mix right into the salad. Typical daily carbs I am 4-5% a day. Also love a grilled steak with homemade pesto on the side, some avocado, mini bocconcini.
  • lillypade
    lillypade Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am 42 yrs old, weight 133, lightly active, want to loss a little weight I’m 5’5 and the macro calculator is telling me 5g carbs, 70 protein, 105 fat. Calories 1246- which I haven’t meet the calorie count in a few days. Does that sound right??
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hi lillypade. The protein goal you have is low for someone dieting, your age and not sedentary, IMO. 90g-120g (1.5g/kg - 2g/kg) of protein would be a better protein goal for you -- more if you like.

After that, the rest is up to you and your preferences. As long as you keep your carbs under around the 50g mark you'll be fine. Some people feel better with a lower carb limit around 25g but others want to eat as many carbs as they can so prefer the higher end of the carb limit.

Totally up to you - the only thing you need for ketosis is carb restriction. The only marco you don't want to restrict is protein. :)

Couldn't agree more.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    I am 42 yrs old, weight 133, lightly active, want to loss a little weight I’m 5’5 and the macro calculator is telling me 5g carbs, 70 protein, 105 fat. Calories 1246- which I haven’t meet the calorie count in a few days. Does that sound right??

I also agree with AlabasterVerve.

Your maintenance cals (depending on activity) are likely between 1850 and 2050, so I'd point out again that 5% of cals makes more sense if maintenance cals, so you'd be aiming for more like 25 g, and that's net. Total carbs could be more like 40-50, depending on food choices. 5 g of carbs is really crazy low and would make it hard to even eat a pretty small amount of veg -- I'd distrust wherever that calculation came from.

Protein I'd aim for 0.8 of goal (or even current weight, as you are a healthy weight) so maybe about 100 g (I agree with the range mentioned above). So that leaves whatever is left for fat.

The cal goal is perhaps aggressive given your weight too.
  • valerierackly74
    valerierackly74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I could do with some keto buddies. I'm 19 days in but find myfitnesspal to be more accurate/harsher with the counting of carbs. Adds please.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I set my goals to 10% carbs, 70% fat and 20% protein. It isn;t perfect, as the settings are done in intervals of 5's. But it has helped me to get to moderate levels of ketosis. the struggle came to having enough fats. then I rediscovered unsalted butter and the richness of flavor it adds to vegetables and sauces. Now I get very close to my needs.
  • lillypade
    Options
    Thanks for all the info. I have been on keto since September 10. And have lose 8 lbs. I’m feeling great. I got the keto rash a few days ago on my back and a little where my bra lays. It’s not itchy. Thank goodness. I’ve been putting tea tree oil on.
  • lillypade
    Options
    @anubis609 not sure if u can answer this. today my carbs were around 30 g that is the highest they have been. Usually stay around 15 will that throw me out of Ketosis?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    lillypade wrote: »
    @anubis609 not sure if u can answer this. today my carbs were around 30 g that is the highest they have been. Usually stay around 15 will that throw me out of Ketosis?

Nope. There is no hard set rule for how many carbs you can ingest to remain in ketosis. Keep them as low as comfortably possible if ketosis is a goal.

Net carbs are what matters. By definition, that would be total carbohydrates - fiber = net carbs. So, for example, if you ate 50g total carbs, but 20g of fiber came with those carbs (such as fiber from vegetables and berries), then you would have 30g net carbs.

Be aware that processed foods (like protein bars or food sold in packages will have fiber listed on them, but may not actually act as natural fiber would - and sugar alcohol will pass through the body, but can act like a laxative).

Other than that, remember that ketosis is never necessary for fat loss, only a caloric deficit is needed (if fat loss is your primary goal).