Can we be Keto friends ?

Options

Replies

• Intoxikate93
    Intoxikate93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m Kate . It’s always nice to find fellow ketoers lol
    I’ve been doing Keto for about 17 months . I started at 198lbs and I’m down currently to 131lbs . Aside from horses I recently started boxing and swimming . I feel like my strongest self I can’t wait to see how these new workout routines shape my body . I’m getting completely obsessed watching my body change .
  • fouroclock
    fouroclock Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started keto. This is my third day. I am trying Ideal Protein but a little concerned about all the processed foods and not so healthy ingredients. I thought I'll give it a month and see what happens. I want to lose 15-20 lbs and as someone above said the last 10 are the hardest to lose. Glad to find this thread because I sometimes get tired in the evening after a full day of work and start telling myself "ohh just a little popcorn or a gluten free cracker won't hurt anything...losing weight is not worth the mental stress etc...."

I'll check some of the links on this thread. Thank you all.
  • Kay_J_Sayyy
    Kay_J_Sayyy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Help! Am so confused about how to plan my food! I have watched all the videos but cannot get my head around planning a day or having two or three days to stick to - any examples out there?
  • squirley13
    squirley13 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    kirstyseye wrote: »
    Help! Am so confused about how to plan my food! I have watched all the videos but cannot get my head around planning a day or having two or three days to stick to - any examples out there?

There are hundreds of Keto people on YouTube on what they eat in a day. I love Keto Connect and Keto Rewind and 2krazyketos. I have changed so much as I’m mostly carnivore now and I always have “Surf and turf” meals of varieties where it is never the same in a week. Some people just always do a meat and a vegetable but I always have multiple meats.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    squirley13 wrote: »
    souchie wrote: »
    I’m toying with the idea, but don’t know how to start. How is everyone managing this?

I would actually give you the same advice I just gave Melinalosada with learning about Keto because even though my doctor told me to do it I had no advice except “Google it”. Even when I was diagnosed with another autoimmune issue from another doctor he also said to “Google it”. YouTube has helped me to much! Here is a great website as well that LionessNV gave credit to and they also have an YouTube channel DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

I'm appalled that your doctor would recommend something and and tell you to learn about it from Google. For crying out loud, we can "learn" that the earth is flat from Google, or that the moon landing was a hoax. I'd have asked for a referral to a dietitian and sought another doctor.

I'm with the VA and have very little choices for doctors. I suffered through two bad GYNs. But for those of you who do have a choice, exercise it.
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Op, I'm relaxed carnivore or 'ketovore' at this point but would love any friends who are focused on a lower carb way of eating. I'm back on MFP after taking a much needed break and would like to connect with others who are on a similar path :)
  • melinalosada
    melinalosada Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    What do you think about this? I am new in keto!6yox1v0fqbqo.png
  • Walking2myDestiny
    Options
    I am doing keto too!
  • squirley13
    edited September 2019
    Options

GREAT 👍 start! The biggest thing about Keto is the fats should be healthy fats of animals (mostly with Omega 3 like beef or salmon) and/or fruit oils (Avocado, Coconut and Olive oil). We must read all ingredients as manufacturers put other seed, nit or vegetable oils as fillers!!! AVOID any and all vegetable oils!
  • SarahAnne3958
    SarahAnne3958 Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    souchie wrote: »
    I’m toying with the idea, but don’t know how to start. How is everyone managing this?

I transitioned from a plant focused, very low fat diet to a lower carb/higher fat way of eating and that's led me to where I am now, a relaxed carnivore/'ketovore'. I started by just adding in fat slowly, (got rid of flavored creamers and started using HWC in my coffee; started adding beef back into my diet a couple times a week etc), and then I started cutting out all of the whole grains that I was eating, (which was 4-5 servings a day at the time), stopped eating beans several times a week etc.

When I first started the switch I was still eating a lot of veggies and fruit but I adjusted which ones I was using and replaced higher carb ones with lower carb options. In my daily green smoothies I stopped adding bananas and started adding berries and avocados etc. I also stopped using vegetable oils and started using butter and ghee.

I took things slow and that worked well for me-at the beginning I just had a goal to hit 100g net carbs a day or less, (the only number I tracked). As I got more comfortable with things my carb intake started going down on its own and then after a few months I felt led to try a more carnivore way of eating. That was around 2 months ago and I'm loving how I eat now, which is meat/seafood, eggs, some kinds of dairy and then small amounts of coffee, spices, low carb condiments etc. I'm not following any kind of set plan or trying to hit certain macros/numbers (I no longer track/count any numbers at all), and I eat when hungry, stop when satiated. Yesterday I had a steak for breakfast :)
  • melinalosada
    Options

GREAT 👍 start! The biggest thing about Keto is the fats should be healthy fats of animals (mostly with Omega 3 like beef or salmon) and/or fruit oils (Avocado, Coconut and Olive oil). We must read all ingredients as manufacturers put other seed, nit or vegetable oils as fillers!!! AVOID any and all vegetable oils!

Thank you very much!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've been on keto for 11 days, in ketosis for 7. Been keeping my carbs to under 20g, had 27g yesterday will that cause a problem do we think?

Generally, if you eat between 25-50g you should be good. It you are active, it might be possible to maintain ketosis at higher levels.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I would question why so few calories? Depending on your stats and exercise program, protein may be a bit low.
  • squirley13
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

I would question why so few calories? Depending on your stats and exercise program, protein may be a bit low.

Awesome Point! I just figured out calories and total wasn’t close to 1200 which should be minimum and even though some people would say 68g is enough it really isn’t! I was congratulating you earlier even though I thought it was too low but I didn’t do all the math like psuLemon was quick to realize. I personally believe that people need .5 grams per pound even though they say that is the minimum for athletes. So if you weigh 175 you need 87.5g.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Awesome Point! I just figured out calories and total wasn’t close to 1200 which should be minimum and even though some people would say 68g is enough it really isn’t! I was congratulating you earlier even though I thought it was too low but I didn’t do all the math like psuLemon was quick to realize. I personally believe that people need .5 grams per pound even though they say that is the minimum for athletes. So if you weigh 175 you need 87.5g.

Even then, most of the evidence on protein would suggest 1.5-2.2g/kg while you are losing weight. So that 175 lb person, who is 79kg, may be better off at 120g. And in my experience, most women do best at 90-130g of protein.

It's one thing that bothers me about many keto "experts"; well that and some (like diet doctor) don't believe in calories for the stupidest reasons. Protein is the most critical nutrient while losing weight. Not only does it support a strong body, but it supports metabolic functions.
  • squirley13
    Options

Even then, most of the evidence on protein would suggest 1.5-2.2g/kg while you are losing weight. So that 175 lb person, who is 79kg, may be better off at 120g. And in my experience, most women do best at 90-130g of protein.

It's one thing that bothers me about many keto "experts"; well that and some (like diet doctor) don't believe in calories for the stupidest reasons. Protein is the most critical nutrient while losing weight. Not only does it support a strong body, but it supports metabolic functions.

I agree how important protein is! and your figure is on the high end of protein consumption that seems more Atkins than Keto. The reason Keto is moderate protein 20-30 percent is that excess protein will convert to insulin. (So they say) While I’m a component also of Atkins because it is still low carb some people have some health issues with the continuous high protein. I’m just saying staying consistently above 30% caloric intake isn’t for everyone if they eat plant based sources of protein. Carnivores have a different story and outcome which can avoid the health issues of oxalates that plants give. I did some more math and your figures seem fine for some people’s goals of up to 30%. I’m curious as most American health organizations actually suggest so much lower like .36g per pound for the average woman which I totally disagree with so where do your numbers come from? And are you more Alton’s Low Carb Type Ketosis? Just do curious 🤔😊 Thanks
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Everything I've read of the literature always boils down to more protein is better for dieters. No one should be deliberately cutting back on protein to comply with nonsensical "real" keto macros -- it is absolutely not evidence based.

Even Virta Health (who are using ketogenic diets to treat type 2 diabetes) stress the importance of adequate protein.

"But in no case should dietary protein intake be reduced below 1.2 g/kg in the context of a well-formulated ketogenic diet. This range; 1.2 g/kg at the low end and 2.0 g/kg at the upper end, with a 1.5 g/kg mid-range moderate intake target" Source

That quote is from How Much Protein Do You Need in Nutritional Ketosis? written by Phinney, Volek and Volk and has citations if you want a place to start reading. Another blog post I recommend is by Amy Berger at Tuit Nutrition: More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Protein & Gluconeogenesis
  • melinalosada
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for your help. Its very dificul for me keto diet, in argentina its very expensive. In five days I eat 40-100 gr cho for day whit excersice. This is my pic in day five.bbr4zrrvtcqd.jpg
  • squirley13
    Options
    Everything I've read of the literature always boils down to more protein is better for dieters. No one should be deliberately cutting back on protein to comply with nonsensical "real" keto macros -- it is absolutely not evidence based.

Even Virta Health (who are using ketogenic diets to treat type 2 diabetes) stress the importance of adequate protein.

"But in no case should dietary protein intake be reduced below 1.2 g/kg in the context of a well-formulated ketogenic diet. This range; 1.2 g/kg at the low end and 2.0 g/kg at the upper end, with a 1.5 g/kg mid-range moderate intake target" Source

That quote is from How Much Protein Do You Need in Nutritional Ketosis? written by Phinney, Volek and Volk and has citations if you want a place to start reading. Another blog post I recommend is by Amy Berger at Tuit Nutrition: More Than You Ever Wanted to Know About Protein & Gluconeogenesis

Super great and very credible sources! Totally agree! I love all those people and since I’m a typical college educated idiot with degrees I have to still unbrainwash myself. Thank goodness I don’t have to lie to people anymore what is “healthy” by a broken healthcare system that is in the business of making people sick for profit!
  • psuLemon
    Options

I agree how important protein is! and your figure is on the high end of protein consumption that seems more Atkins than Keto. The reason Keto is moderate protein 20-30 percent is that excess protein will convert to insulin. (So they say) While I’m a component also of Atkins because it is still low carb some people have some health issues with the continuous high protein. I’m just saying staying consistently above 30% caloric intake isn’t for everyone if they eat plant based sources of protein. Carnivores have a different story and outcome which can avoid the health issues of oxalates that plants give. I did some more math and your figures seem fine for some people’s goals of up to 30%. I’m curious as most American health organizations actually suggest so much lower like .36g per pound for the average woman which I totally disagree with so where do your numbers come from? And are you more Alton’s Low Carb Type Ketosis? Just do curious 🤔😊 Thanks

It's certainly true that insulin is insulinogenic, but even so, it doesn't seem to cause issues with people even having insulin problem. The bigger issues with the 20-30% range is it doesn't account for peoples weight/lean mass. Overall, percentages are a fairly antiquated and oversimplified way of looking at things. If you look at the majority of work by Voleky and Phinney, they aren't aggressively cutting calories like some on this forum. So instead, you are better off setting a high end of carbs, getting protein in an appropriate range and then letting fats fall out. Unfortunately, in my experience, people often put so much focus on fats, which can impede progress over the long term or cause weight gain issues.

Its actually well documented that the prescribed .36g per lb range of protein is not sufficient for those who are active or losing weight. So if a person's goal is muscle preservation, to be fit or lean, that higher protein is sufficient.

As for me, I have been dieting that i follow my own keto diet. I guess its closer to a modified ketogenic diet. Overall, i focus on getting plenty of fish, meat, eggs and veggies. I also limit omega 6 and saturated fats. I a mainly cook in olive oil and avocado oil.

At some point, i will move to a TKD style diet when I don't see much progress with my lifts. Right now i am building my strength back up because keto kills my lifts (in some cases a 50 lb loss).