Options
cnjg6677
cnjg6677 Posts: 177 Member
What’s your favotite

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    Nigel Slater - Real Fast Food - if I have to pick one.

Although to be honest I can’t remember the last time I opened an actual recipe book. Anything I make regularly the recipe is in my head. Most things I cook are ‘winged’ anyway. If I do want an idea of how to do something, or a specific recipe, maybe for a cuisine I’m not so familiar with in terms of spice balancing then I’ll turn to Pinterest.

If I had any sense I’d throw a lot of my recipe books away, but that’d be like kicking my children out, so I’m not doing it!
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I tend to read my cookbooks for fun and inspiration, I rarely get one out to follow a recipe to the letter though (apart from rare baking). Some favourite reads are Heston Blumenthal, because he details his recipe development and research as well as simply including the recipe. I have a great book for information about preparing meat, The River Cottage Meat Book. It isn't just about cooking but also butchery and knife skills. I have a huge selection of Indian cookery books, some are traditional and regional, but I have one which is British Indian Restaurant Style. I would have to say that is one I have used a lot and is probably in my top 5 (by Pat Chapman)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    Most of my cookbooks are older, since I use google nowadays for the most part. My beloved classics are

Shizuo Tsuji: Japanese Cooking, A Simple Art
    David Thompson: Thai Cooking
    Marcella Hazan: The Classic Italian Cookbook (vols 1 and 2)
    Pei Mei: The Chinese Cookbook (vol 1)
    Claudia Roden: A New Book of Middle Eastern Food
    Elizabeth David: French Provincial Cooking
    Rose Grey and Elizabeth Rogers: The River Cafe Cookbook Easy
  • cnjg6677
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Eat This...It'll Make You Feel Better by Dom DeLuise
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Cooks-Illustrated-Cookbook-Americas-Magazine/dp/1933615893

Although I admittedly use the magazines more than the book.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have a whole bunch...I have a certain affinity for them...but I rarely actually use them. I use Pinterest more than anything.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Andrea Nguyen's cookbooks are fantastic (as is her website) and she's also just a great person. Her newest book, Vietnamese Food Any Day would be a good start along with trying some of the recipes on her website. I got to see her speak last weekend along with the grandson of the author of the Joy of Cooking.

I'd have to check my bookshelf for other cookbooks/authors that I like, but I also get a lot of recipes from the NYTime's cooking site (which requires a subscription if you want to make the most of it/view more than 5 recipes a month, Epicurious, and Serious Eats as well as various blogs including Smitten Kitchen, Simply Recipes, Maangchi, and Just One Cookbook.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,637 Member
    Options
    If you like East meets West fusion, Donna Hay's cookbooks are a good resource. She is Australian.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have a whole box full of cookbooks (including asian & crockpot recipes). I pull them out maybe once a year. The cookbooks I use the most are the ones that local churches, VFW Auxileries, etc. put together and publish. They always have the best recipes that have been passed down through families.

I just pin recipes on Pinterest or look them up in Google. However, I do plan on getting the new Binging with Babish cookbook.
  • Steph4spurs
    Steph4spurs Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love weight watchers cookbooks because they usually are lower calories and lots of veggies
  • cnjg6677
    Options
    Thank you I will look for one
    I love weight watchers cookbooks because they usually are lower calories and lots of veggies

• Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I love the America's Test Kitchen cookbooks. Current favorites are "The Complete Slow-cooker" which has way more than just your typical stew and soup recipes you see in slow-cookers usually. And my other current favorite is "Just Add Sauce" which is all sauce recipes, salad dressings, like 8 different stir fry sauces, pan sauces, dips, etc. Lets you spice up any plain chicken and veggies dish pretty quickly. The complete TV show cookbook is now on my Christmas list.

I used to mostly go online for recipes and I still do some but was frustrated with how poorly they are written sometimes - you end up finding the people who reviewed them heavily modified them, or the instructions aren't good, etc etc. What I have loved about these cookbooks is that they are pretty rigorously tested and have very precise and clear instructions so it is rare that I have something not come out exactly as it should.

If you like Mexican food, I also highly recommend this cookbook by Rick Bayless: "Mexican Everyday"