Finding the discipline to work out?

Options
Hey everyone, so I have previously asked for advice on here regarding the fact that I’ve seemed to have lost motivation to work out and I don’t quite know why. I seem to be fine counting calories and stay on track with staying in a deficit without a problem but working out has recently become SUCH a chore for me to do and I find myself making excuses :/ I used to really enjoy going to the gym and doing HIIT on the treadmill, elliptical and a bit of weight training (trying to lose weight at the moment) but I’ve lost motivation. I’ve been advised to just force myself to go.. just make it a habit over time and make it second nature where I’m disciplined and conditioned to just go. Just like brushing my teeth/showering etc, not thinking about it. Does this actually work?! Should I drag myself on my designated workout days no matter how lethargic or demotivated I feel? It’s so frustrating to go from loving working out to seeing it as a chore! Thanks for your help anyone :)

Replies

• mehreen_xo
    mehreen_xo Posts: 78 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I have in total around 50 pounds I want to lose, I have lost 13 pounds already. Inputting my data to lose 1.5 lbs a week gives me 1250 calories to eat from mfp so I stick to that, it was hard at first but I’ve become used to that number now (I put sedentary lifestyle, though I’m not 100% sure I am sedentary) I think it may well be the lack of a decent calorie intake making me feel this tired just not sure at all. I don’t eat back exercise calories either. I’ve been losing for around 2 months now
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    mehreen_xo wrote: »
    I have in total around 50 pounds I want to lose, I have lost 13 pounds already. Inputting my data to lose 1.5 lbs a week gives me 1250 calories to eat from mfp so I stick to that, it was hard at first but I’ve become used to that number now (I put sedentary lifestyle, though I’m not 100% sure I am sedentary) I think it may well be the lack of a decent calorie intake making me feel this tired just not sure at all. I don’t eat back exercise calories either. I’ve been losing for around 2 months now

If you have been losing for 60 days you are losing at 1.52 pounds per week. I would guess that around 2 months may be less than 60 days though especially if you are not eating back exercise calories. Do you have any idea what your starting date was?

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, so I have previously asked for advice on here regarding the fact that I’ve seemed to have lost motivation to work out and I don’t quite know why. I seem to be fine counting calories and stay on track with staying in a deficit without a problem but working out has recently become SUCH a chore for me to do and I find myself making excuses :/ I used to really enjoy going to the gym and doing HIIT on the treadmill, elliptical and a bit of weight training (trying to lose weight at the moment) but I’ve lost motivation. I’ve been advised to just force myself to go.. just make it a habit over time and make it second nature where I’m disciplined and conditioned to just go. Just like brushing my teeth/showering etc, not thinking about it. Does this actually work?! Should I drag myself on my designated workout days no matter how lethargic or demotivated I feel? It’s so frustrating to go from loving working out to seeing it as a chore! Thanks for your help anyone :)

Are you fine once you start or no? If no, definitely see my previous post.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Have you lost motivation for ALL working out, or just the specific exercise you're currently doing?

I started having difficulty with the gym because I found it boring. That's about when I started doing classes instead. Discipline is one thing, but forcing yourself to do something you hate on the regular for the rest of your life is not going to work out...
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    You’re definitely undereating and that’s why you feel tired and lethargic. Definitely don’t eat 1200 without eating your exercise calories back.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Not much I can add after the posts above, but I would suggest finding something you think is fun and not a “workout.” Getting fit doesn’t have to be a chore. I kayak and the sheer joy of being on the water never makes it feel like exercise. Same with biking, the childlike freedom of flying free propels me forward. Find your fun!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

This happens like once or twice a year to me, you have to just keep going... you might not be in full blown beast mode when you go but you have to just keep putting in the work if you want the results. Also just do something kind of fun... or that you enjoy more if that's training arms everyday for a few weeks .. then do arms everyday for a few weeks just don't give up.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    As well as some of the great advice that's already been given, perhaps you need to mix it up in terms of your training. If you're doing the same workout week in, week out, no surprise it can become a bit of a chore. Are you following any sort of programme?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Another thing that might work is that when you're really not feeling it, you can go to the gym and just do your warmup, or a shortened/half-assed version of your routine.

It's better to do something than nothing
    It keeps the habit of 'going to the gym' going
    After you've done the warmup, you might feel like doing the rest as well :)
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    What are your fitness goals? Are you trying to get stronger? Build more endurance? Or is it just about burning calories?

For weight loss, working out isn’t required. But if you are trying to build a fitness level, start where you are and think about your fitness goals. My original fitness goals were cardio of 30+ minutes 5 days per week and strength training 2-3 times per week. These goals were based on what I wanted to get out of my fitness plan. Most of my cardio involved walking or hiking at public parks. On days where I was home and not motivated to leave the house I walked circles in my home while listening to podcasts. I used DVDs or YouTube with dumbbells for strength training because that fit my lifestyle and my goals. At times I challenged myself to look for creative ways to meet my goals. The community center in my area has some free classes (yoga, tai chi, aerobics, aqua fitness, etc). Several parks have outdoor strength training equipment.

Since I’ve started running my goals have changed. So my training plan has changed. You are the only one that knows your goals, but I suspect you’ll be happier designing a plan based on what you want doing things you enjoy. As others have mentioned, it sounds like your deficit is also too aggressive and you need to eat more. Fuel your workouts. You’ll benefit from them more if you do.
  • jhanleybrown
    jhanleybrown Posts: 240 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Through a professional development group I'm part of I sat through a lecture by a researcher on brain health and aging.

W/o going into detail exercise does about 5 different really good things for your brain.

He also had done research on who continues to exercise as you age. He classified people into four groups:
    1) ex athletes who continue to compete
    2) people that exercise because they know they should and it's good for them
    3) the "smell the roses" group. These are people that just have an activity they enjoy. It might be literal like outdoor hiking or running in natural beauty....but it might be figurative...kick boxing for example...
    4) the "social butterflies". People who join some social group around exercise.

He had done research and groups 1 and 2 statistically (not everyone so don't get defensive ex-athletes...) tend to get demotivated and stop over time. Groups 3 and 4 statistically are energiser bunnies and keep it up.

So if you are a 2....try to become a 3 or 4.
  • CardinalComb
    CardinalComb Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate working out in gyms but love playing sports and cycling. Gyms are depressing to me. My “workouts” consist of activities like tennis or cycling next to the lake. Maybe get yourself out of the gym and go outside.